• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Soandso

95FCE48B-B229-466E-BD58-D8206FDDACF3.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know there are higher quality steels available, but for the price it seems very nicely made. Also, these aren't legal to carry in the UK, so just a handy thing to keep in the toolbox at home.
Jeeeez! They've run amok ever since 9/11.
Which part of that 8.3cm (3.25") blade makes it illegal??:mad:
How is that knife more dangerous than this pen?
202305_PenWeaPen.jpg

We all know only evil people carry EDC knives!:eek:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Snappy little Nine Thorn (Böker Kwaiken Air design) pen/gentleman's knife today. VG10 steel and damascus G10 scales.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-26 at 09.58.46.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-26 at 09.58.45.jpeg

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Jeeeez! They've run amok ever since 9/11.
Which part of that 8.3cm (3.25") blade makes it illegal??:mad:
How is that knife more dangerous than this pen?
View attachment 288219
We all know only evil people carry EDC knives!:eek:
I think it's ellegal to have a locking blade. Small pen knives, multi tools and things like that are fine. If your in a workshop, on building site or out camping, it will likely be overlooked, but if you're found with a knife in your pocket in a bar or in a town centre, you will likely get in trouble for that.

In the UK our strict laws regarding knives and firearms go back to way before 9/11. Shotguns and hunting rifles are allowed, but you need a permit and there are other restrictions on how they are stored; firing pins removed, stored in locked cabinets, stuff like that. I think firearms must be single shot too, so no multi round magazines, automatic pistols, assult rifles, that sort of thing, but I'm no expert.

If you look at the number of deaths and injury's involving guns and knives there's a stark contrast between the UK and US and I for one would rather not allow any old nutcase, with a questionable political ideology, buy an assault rifle. :oops:

DACslut

I think it's ellegal to have a locking blade. Small pen knives, multi tools and things like that are fine. If your in a workshop, on building site or out camping, it will likely be overlooked, but if you're found with a knife in your pocket in a bar or in a town centre, you will likely get in trouble for that.

In the UK our strict laws regarding knives and firearms go back to way before 9/11. Shotguns and hunting rifles are allowed, but you need a permit and there are other restrictions on how they are stored; firing pins removed, stored in locked cabinets, stuff like that. I think firearms must be single shot too, so no multi round magazines, automatic pistols, assult rifles, that sort of thing, but I'm no expert.

If you look at the number of deaths and injury's involving guns and knives there's a stark contrast between the UK and US and I for one would rather not allow any old nutcase, with a questionable political ideology, buy an assault rifle. :oops:
There apparently isn't any NRA presence in your U.K. to corrupt the lawmakers there. You should feel quite fortunate.

Barrelhouse Solly

I like multitools and kitchen knives. We have a couple of Wusthof chef's knives we bought in the mid 70s that are still going strong. Our knife block is fully populated. I've tried Leatherman and Gerber multitools but keep going back to my $25 Victorinox Swiss Army because the scissors work and it's reasonably pocket sized. The T handle Phillips screwdriver is a plus. I'll admit it. I'm perfectly happy with 420 SS and can't justify the 440C variants. Because I worked in heat treating for 15 years I know the maximum hardness for 420 is lower than 440C, 52Rc or so vs 58-60 for 440C. I don't use my knife for shaving or cutting picture mats so the difference in hardness/wear resistance doesn't make much difference to me. In kitchen knives I prefer 440C because cutting and chopping are the primary uses. All knives, pretty much, use 420 or 440C although there are a lot of proprietary alloy variants. The carbon content and the basic alloy content is pretty much based on the higher carbon 440x steels.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Our knife block is fully populated.
That is confusing -- it sounds like one (?!?) knife block, and for more than one person?

Ah, I remember the days of 'upgrading' to a 24 slot block. And a little bit later having to put the 16 slot block back into service. And than having to pick up a 10 slot block, and then filling the big drawer, so now 5-6 stay out on the cutting boards. One of these years I have to get some more blocks so I can free up some of the drawer. :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just polished the case of my 1976 Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. And it probably has been 46 years since I've seen the red plastic sides looking so shiny.
View attachment 297424
Nice. I have a SOG Key Knife with the ~1.5" blade and I used a diamond hone to sharpen the blade and put a sharp tip on it but it's not fine enough for the stainless steel. It's holding the edge but it's a bit rougher than I wanted. I want shaving sharp with a nasty sharp puncturing tip. I use it for opening chip bags, cheese, meat etc. So it needs to be sharp. What stone grit are you using for your fine sharpening jobs on the Swiss Army Knife?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. I have a SOG Key Knife with the ~1.5" blade and I used a diamond hone to sharpen the blade and put a sharp tip on it but it's not fine enough for the stainless steel. It's holding the edge but it's a bit rougher than I wanted. I want shaving sharp with a nasty sharp puncturing tip. I use it for opening chip bags, cheese, meat etc. So it needs to be sharp. What stone grit are you using for your fine sharpening jobs on the Swiss Army Knife?
I am a rank novice when it comes to sharpening, but I have #800 and #6000 Japanese wet stones (local store didn't have in-between grades at the time) and seem to have gotten a pretty good edge. But were I to buy a knife now, I'd really like to try carbon steel. I'd be willing to trade some corrosion resistance for ease of sharpening and ability to take a really good edge.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a rank novice when it comes to sharpening, but I have #800 and #6000 Japanese wet stones (local store didn't have in-between grades at the time) and seem to have gotten a pretty good edge. But were I to buy a knife now, I'd really like to try carbon steel. I'd be willing to trade some corrosion resistance for ease of sharpening and ability to take a really good edge.
Yes, I'm about the same but there are stainless alloys that apparently take a very nice strong and fine edge. Like Knives of Alaska. I read they have a good stainless steel alloy.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm about the same but there are stainless alloys that apparently take a very nice strong and fine edge. Like Knives of Alaska. I read they have a good stainless steel alloy.
I'm sure they all do to a greater or lesser degree. But Opinel's #8 Carbone is readily available in my area at very modest cost. If I'm going to spend bigger $$ on knives, they'd better be for the kitchen.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure they all do to a greater or lesser degree. But Opinel's #8 Carbone is readily available in my area at very modest cost. If I'm going to spend bigger $$ on knives, they'd better be for the kitchen.
Hehe. Yes, the Opinel knives are sold here too for a reasonably fair price as well. I like the Opinel kitchen/fillet knife with the long blade and huge handle. I have a decent 8" chefs knife that fits my large hands and I just need a small long knife and I'll be set in the kitchen. The Opinel 12" model is perfect for that niche. O' and I need a in-between grit hone for my blades to get sharper.

Top Bottom