• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this one for my brother as a birthday gift. It won't win any quality awards but it's pretty!

81yEvkJvb9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Is that titanium?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this one for my brother as a birthday gift. It won't win any quality awards but it's pretty!
Is your brother a seasonal worker in Humboldt County?:facepalm:
then, you go down to the *pot-metals, like 440C [<<:mad:]
You were not paying attention earlier, when class was in session!
I dull-knife is said to be more dangerous than a sharp one.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Using a TwoSun today.
Duh Moment#1: Seeing yours, I recalled that I had another TwoSun (WongDesign M390) knife, somewhere in my inventory.
202305_KnifeTwoSunM390.jpg

Duh Moment#2: It so happens this one also has that torx-screw on the liner-lock, as my small knife (in earlier post).
Duh Moment#3: Looking closely at inset (in photo) where arrow is pointing to, I noticed there is a non-metallic pad (unlike my small knife).
Duh Moment#4: Your TwoSun also appears to have TWO screws on the liner-lock.
I am still clooless and no one has come to my help! << Is this another 'Duh Moment' for the both of us?;)

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202305_KizerSwayBack.jpg

My all-time favorite carry-on EDC. I tweaked the tip of mine.:(
I have given up on most US name-brands << Benchmade, Buck, Case, Coast, CRKT, Dozier, Kershaw, Terzuolo, Wm.Henry... masters, customs... yawn.

But never before, did I buy the same knife twice, until today!
($60 amazon/ebay/aliexpress).

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audiophiles are people that like overbuilt things. Things that are much better than necessary. Looking at the watch thread, I realized one thing. I might have a hifi problem, and I might have a watch problem. But for sure, I do not have a knife problem.

a8qvVROg.jpg

I mean these are just 4 of my Spydercos, and it's not like a have a lot of other knives. So any other guys out there who do not have a knife problem?
When we look at an audiophile, we see someone who appreciates an attempt at perfection. So whether that be knives, watches, cars, wine, tv‘s or just about anything really it’s all fair game. I will spend hours researching the best nail clippers for a dog. It’s just who I am and I think many “audiophiles” have something similar in common with me. Nice knife btw.

Haflermichi

M390 is considered to be in the "premium steels" category; whereas, *CPM-154/N690 are tagged in the "high-end steels" and *A2/D2 are "mid-range steels" categories... then, you go down to the *pot-metals, like 440C [<<:mad:]
The knife's *edge-retention, *corrosion-resistance, *toughness and *ease-of-sharpening are the 4 major criteria each is graded on.
Yes! I guess, similar to *FR, *THD, *SINAD, *IMD criteria.
View attachment 287632
This one is a quitie!
M390, ceramic-bearings, flipper, purple titanium handle, a liner-lock and a key-chain clip.
Notice that circled torx screw? I did too.
I have NO IDEA what purpose it serves.
Notice the inside of the liner locker that has been machine sanded? I did too.
I have NO IDEA what purpose that serves either.:oops:
The screw is holding in the hardened steel lock insert.That is the portion which actually engages the blade to lock it.
The method shown is used to allow a variety of scale (handle) or frame materials while the lock insert remains steel.
It's unusual to see grinding marks on the surface shown. Usually the perpendicular face is what is precision ground to engage the blade.

Haflermichi

Duh Moment#1: Seeing yours, I recalled that I had another TwoSun (WongDesign M390) knife, somewhere in my inventory.View attachment 287701
Duh Moment#2: It so happens this one also has that torx-screw on the liner-lock, as my small knife (in earlier post).
Duh Moment#3: Looking closely at inset (in photo) where arrow is pointing to, I noticed there is a non-metallic pad (unlike my small knife).
I am still clooless and no one has come to my help! << Is this another 'Duh Moment' for the both of us?;)
Again, the screw shown is holding the lock insert. For expensive knives the insert is replaceable as a part but good luck finding one for a low-buck, mass produced item.
If you look even more closely in that area you may see the detent ball, closer to the blade edge.
That ball sinks into a "detent" on the blade and that is what holds the blade in the closed position.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Duh Moment#1: Seeing yours, I recalled that I had another TwoSun (WongDesign M390) knife, somewhere in my inventory.View attachment 287701
The little screws in the lock bar hold a piece of stainless steel in place, against the titanium liner. This piece contacts the blade. They do this because a titanium frame will wear down after repeated friction against a steel blade. They call this a "lock insert", I believe. It's a good thing. :)

EDIT: sorry, didn't notice that other people replied already! :)

Carrying this $30 Land 801-HM today. Budget knife of the year for me! Top & back flipper, D2 steel, micarta handles, ultra deep carry pocket clip, nicely centered, drop shut action, G10 backspacer and super fidgety. Did I mention it's only $30? It is. It's only $30.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 09.55.04.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Haflermichi and @Vict0r,
I wanted to believe you both; I really did...:eek:
Until I noticed that there is a ~1.2mm ball-bearing below the inside surface of the liner-lock, that is used to lock the blade in position and is the only thing that makes contact (swipes) w/blade flat surface.

Hey @Vict0r, how much was that Land 801-HM again??
Nifty EDC, looks all business, and below my limit of ~19cm.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sooner or later, some attention should be paid to 'chique knives for chicks'. << NO! Not sexist: Get over it. A cliche.
202305_ChickKnives.jpg

I had forgotten all about them, until she reminded me:
  • JinJunLang - JL-29A
  • Kershaw/KenOnion - 1600VIB (KAI patent, US production)
  • Zephyr Hiro -VG10 DaMascus (Seki, Japan)
She says she carries the little rocket everywhere she goes!
The potential for staycation in the backyard doghouse is lessened, if you gift such things to your mate!

Haflermichi

Until I noticed that there is a ~1.2mm ball-bearing below the inside surface of the liner-lock, that is used to lock the blade in position and is the only thing that makes contact (swipes) w/blade flat surface.

Hey @Vict0r, how much was that Land 801-HM again??
Nifty EDC, looks all business, and below my limit of ~19cm.
Maybe I wasn't clear. The ball holds the blade in the "closed" position. The lock insert holds the blade in the "open" position.
The detent in the blade for the ball is sometimes clearly visible or with good lighting and magnification.
This is all basic frame-lock mechanics.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I bought a neat little multitool on Aliexpress the other day:

1685019161604.png

I'm pleased with it, it seems at least as well made as a couple of Gerber multitools I have.

I also bought a locking knife:

1685019441093.png

I know there are higher quality steels available, but for the price it seems very nicely made. Also, these aren't legal to carry in the UK, so just a handy thing to keep in the toolbox at home.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I wasn't clear. The ball holds the blade in the "closed" position. The lock insert holds the blade in the "open" position.
I am hesitant to take my TwoSun (shown in photo of my post#148) knife apart; so, please bear with me to explain (for what I wasn't clear about).
202305_KnifeTwoSunM390-03.jpg
202305_KnifeTwoSunM390-04.jpg

At no point, during open or close action, does the liner-lock inner long-surface makes contact with any part of the blade.
The ball-bearing (not the pad holding it w/screw) swipes the blade, during open/close actions.
The liner-lock ONLY touches the blade during the engagement of itself to secure blade in open position. (Red arrow in top picture).

Sorry for the lousy shots/explanation and try not to make me take it fully apart to explain further!;)

Top Bottom