• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch THX - Nilai, purifi, NC252. What would you do?

Antisense

Dear comrades/fellows,

I have an Anthem AVM90, 7.2.4 atmos which includes Klipsch KL-650 as LCR (8Ω, [email protected], 150W continuous, 600W peak), KL-525-THX as rear surrounds (8Ω, [email protected], 100W continuous, 400W peak), KS-525-THX as surrounds (same specs as KL-525), Klipsch CDT-5800-CII as ceiling speakers (8Ω, [email protected], 50W continuous, 200W peak). Room is about 24ft x 15ft. I am planning to change my amps (currently emotiva gen 1 XPA5 and UPA7 combination). Based on the rudimentary knowledge I have gathered after going through the very helpful discussions in this forum about new amps, I have surmised a few options. Please correct me if I am jumping to a foolish move.

Would you advice
- Purifi 1ET400A 3 channel for LCR, 8 channel Hypex NC252MP for the rest.
- Purifi 1ET400A 7 channel for LCR and surrounds, 4 channel Hypex NC252MP for the ceiling.
- Wait for hypex NCX based amps for LCR and surrounds, 4 channel Hypex NC252MP for the ceiling. Not in a rush, so I can wait.
- Nilai kits seems to be hot in the forums, but I wonder if 3 monoblocks would be a bit of an overkill for the LCR.
- Or any other combination you would recommend?

I would really appreciate your recommendations!
Thanks

OP
A

Antisense

The xpa5 got busted somehow… I think during a lightning surge, since a few other electronics got busted at the same time :(

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would NEVER recommend spending more money on something like a Purifi or NCx500 amp on surround channels.

Maybe if you listen critically to 5ch music and your surrounds are towers/the same as the LCR. But that's a big maybe.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That being said, with how high the sensitivty is of the Klipsch, an entire NC252MP setup would be more than enough (assuming you also use subwoofers and not playing the LCR full range).

OP
A

Antisense

I would NEVER recommend spending more money on something like a Purifi or NCx500 amp on surround channels.

Maybe if you listen critically to 5ch music and your surrounds are towers/the same as the LCR. But that's a big maybe.
Thank you. Confirming my poorly educated guess

That being said, with how high the sensitivty is of the Klipsch, an entire NC252MP setup would be more than enough (assuming you also use subwoofers and not playing the LCR full range).
I have two rythmik subwoofers that’ll be used for this setup

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Welcome to ASR. The weak links in your system are not the amplifiers, they could be the speakers. Klipsch have not shown to be the greatest performers... If you already own them and like them? Fine but If you want to improve your system? Better speakers, yes, Better could be the road to improvement.
Apologize for the bluntness.
Stay here , you will learn a lot, perhaps get the best out of your system.

Peace.

OP
A

Antisense

Hi

Welcome to ASR. The weak links in your system are not the amplifiers, they could be the speakers. Klipsch have not shown to be the greatest performers... If you already own them and like them? Fine but If you want to improve your system? Better speakers, yes, Better could be the road to improvement.

Peace.
I appreciate the advice. I don’t mind the bluntness ;) I have been using them for about three years and maybe since I have not used any other nicer speakers, I’ve gotten used to them. I might change it later down the road.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
First thing is to invest in a lighting protection .If money is no problem go for purifi lcr and the rest nc252 or nc122.

OP
A

Antisense

First thing is to invest in a lighting protection .If money is no problem go for purifi lcr and the rest nc252 or nc122.
Purifi lcr plus nc252 is what I’m thinking now.

The lighting surge is what may have happened although it is weird that even the circuit breakers did not trip. Only a few selected things got busted, including my TV, old receiver, Well pump. The circuit breakers were working fine. I’ll need to check with my electrician and see what may have went wrong.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Purifi lcr plus nc252 is what I’m thinking now.

The lighting surge is what may have happened although it is weird that even the circuit breakers did not trip. Only a few selected things got busted, including my TV, old receiver, Well pump. The circuit breakers were working fine. I’ll need to check with my electrician and see what may have went wrong.
Consider some good voltage regulators then.Are all in - outs balanced?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear comrades/fellows,

I have an Anthem AVM90, 7.2.4 atmos which includes Klipsch KL-650 as LCR (8Ω, [email protected], 150W continuous, 600W peak), KL-525-THX as rear surrounds (8Ω, [email protected], 100W continuous, 400W peak), KS-525-THX as surrounds (same specs as KL-525), Klipsch CDT-5800-CII as ceiling speakers (8Ω, [email protected], 50W continuous, 200W peak). Room is about 24ft x 15ft. I am planning to change my amps (currently emotiva gen 1 XPA5 and UPA7 combination). Based on the rudimentary knowledge I have gathered after going through the very helpful discussions in this forum about new amps, I have surmised a few options. Please correct me if I am jumping to a foolish move.

Would you advice
- Purifi 1ET400A 3 channel for LCR, 8 channel Hypex NC252MP for the rest.
- Purifi 1ET400A 7 channel for LCR and surrounds, 4 channel Hypex NC252MP for the ceiling.
- Wait for hypex NCX based amps for LCR and surrounds, 4 channel Hypex NC252MP for the ceiling. Not in a rush, so I can wait.
- Nilai kits seems to be hot in the forums, but I wonder if 3 monoblocks would be a bit of an overkill for the LCR.
- Or any other combination you would recommend?

I would really appreciate your recommendations!
Thanks
It may or may not matter, but due due to the way Klipsch rates their speakers it is likely that the sensitivity is around 6dB less (or more). Also, take their 8ohm rating with a grain of salt too as it may more may not be accurate either… for example the RP-600M that Amir reviewed… manufacturer spec is 96dB but actual sensitivity is 88 (Link)
I would think that at 8 and a 4 channel NC252 based system would be sufficient. Another way to go would be an NAD M27 which is Hypex NC400 based and a 7 channel unit. New there were $4k. I saw one in the AVSforum classifieds for $2500. I have one and it is quite good. Link to Amir’s review… link
I would go M27 and a 4 channel NC252 based amp (and did) but no wrong choices.

OP
A

Antisense

It may or may not matter, but due due to the way Klipsch rates their speakers it is likely that the sensitivity is around 6dB less (or more). Also, take their 8ohm rating with a grain of salt too as it may more may not be accurate either… for example the RP-600M that Amir reviewed… manufacturer spec is 96dB but actual sensitivity is 88 (Link)
I would think that at 8 and a 4 channel NC252 based system would be sufficient. Another way to go would be an NAD M27 which is Hypex NC400 based and a 7 channel unit. New there were $4k. I saw one in the AVSforum classifieds for $2500. I have one and it is quite good. Link to Amir’s review… link
I would go M27 and a 4 channel NC252 based amp (and did) but no wrong choices.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just based on the volume I listen at the seating position, I believe it would be nicer to have the extra headroom with ET400A for the Klipsch KL-650 (LCR channels) and use the NC252 for the rest.

Dal1as

Hi

Peace.

Not all Klipsch are the same. The THX line is actually very good.

To the OP. Klipsch measures sensitivity different than others but the THX line is still fairly sensitive and easy to run with any decent amp.

Top Bottom