• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch The Three Review (Powered Speaker)

mmicko

Maybe would be interesting to see also basic "DAC" measurement - this device has USB in and AUX ...
Anyway thanks for your work Amirm and I'm looking forward to see more portable speakers/soundbars.

3125b

Major Contributor
It does actually produce a fair amount of bass with decent extension. But all the rest - oh my ...

Katji

Major Contributor
So where is it made, which country?
....Or is it "Designed in USA - Made in PRC"?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That said, this is easy to fix: you can adjust the reference axis and reference point in post and re-run the field identification and CEA-2034 modules to provide the data based on the tweeter axis. Which means you won't have to re-run the measurements. Just click the checkbox for "Edit Parameters" and then adjust as needed. I've had to do this a couple times so I'm speaking from unfortunate experience. :)
Come on Erin.... You don't think I know this? I did try to move the reference axis but it makes no difference post measurements. NFS optimizes the locations it measures based on reference axis you set *prior to measurements*. In this case, it has undersampled the true reference axis at higher frequencies and you cannot fix that in computational phase. Indeed it complains about reaching sampling error limit. You can shift the reported/reference axis but not accuracy of data.

If you could set the reference point to anything you wanted, why would NFS ask you to set it prior to measuring? It wouldn't, right?

Now if you have very high number of measurement points and adjustment is small and error is not huge as is the case here, you can compensate as I have done a number of times. But it simply does not work here.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe would be interesting to see also basic "DAC" measurement - this device has USB in and AUX ...
Aux is an input, not output. There is no way to measure the DAC, the amp or anything else. Wish there was as that is what I thought I would do instead of measuring it as a speaker.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Come on Erin.... You don't think I know this? I did try to move the reference axis but it makes no difference post measurements. NFS optimizes the locations it measures based on reference axis you set *prior to measurements*. In this case, it has undersampled the true reference axis at higher frequencies and you cannot fix that in computational phase. Indeed it complains about reaching sampling error limit. You can shift the reported/reference axis but not accuracy of data.

If you could set the reference point to anything you wanted, why would NFS ask you to set it prior to measuring? It wouldn't, right?

Now if you have very high number of measurement points and adjustment is small and error is not huge as is the case here, you can compensate as I have done a number of times. But it simply does not work here.

Hey, now… if I could read minds, I wouldn’t be putting it to use on an audio forum. That’s for sure. :p:D

I had no issue changing the reference point/plane. I did this when I first measured a speaker laid on its side. Flipped the orientation vector post-measurement and it fixed the results. I’ve also used it recently on the DIYSG HTM-12 to change the reference point from center of waveguide to between waveguide and woofer to see how the response is altered. And in my interview with Christian, he actually states this can be done. Not sure why it is giving you issues. :/

As for why you have to tell it something at all, it has to start somewhere.

Anyway, just trying to offer some help.

Last edited:

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The measurements are so bad because @amirm probably didn't use the enclosed DC power cable and used any old AC power cable he had laying around.:

the3man.png

From here.

Loathecliff

yes, the best way to listen to this is:

put it on, volume level ammm about 50%,

go out from the room and close the door behind you.

The Panther Protection Squad now have you on their database.

As soon as I clicked on 'What's New' and saw the K word, I knew a panther had died :(

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not. We keep talking about them but I have not zoomed in on what to buy and test.

Bose, JBL, Samsung, and Vizio are the ones I see in most people's homes (well if you discount the dirt cheap crap that is yes crap even for a soundbar). So I'd say pick any mid-level offering from those four as a start.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fun thing to test. A few seconds after reading it, I realised that the price was for one only, and that really hurt. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but it's the ultimate irony that the people who bought quite expensive HiFi decades ago are now intentionally regressing to mono.
Well it isn't really mono. At least faux stereo and at best faux surround.

astrex342

Klipsch Three drivers .jpg
I suspect the layout of the dual "tweeters(2.5in fullrange)" on the outsides is what is giving klippel the problem. It sees a symmetric sound field and is setting the measurement axis to the center, which is the woofer.
Maybe setting the measurement distance to 2 meters instead of 1 could integrate the tweeters better as they are more perpendicular that way?
Although due to the rather large "tweeters" I don't think top end dispersion is going to be great either way.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Panther Protection Squad now have you on their database.

As soon as I clicked on 'What's New' and saw the K word, I knew a panther had died :(
Should come as no surprise. It has PWK right on the front there. Panther Was Killed!

I'd guess the real P.W.K. would rip a panther's head off if he knew his name was being applied to these kinds of products.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Wow I expected bad but was surprised how much bad they added to this product.

Please test some Amazon and JBL stuff in the category. I use Amazon Echo dots and Shows all over here and am really curious. I have been considering a JBL party speaker or pair, but that is probably a while off.

So where is it made, which country?
....Or is it "Designed in USA - Made in PRC"?
Righto. Designed in Indianapolis and made in China.

Last edited:
Top Bottom