• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch The Fives Powered Bookshelf Speaker Review

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
I run with dynamic bass off and in the -6dB setting in the Klipsch Connect App for room placement. Then tweak the LF to my room. All good

Dodgexander

I run with dynamic bass off and in the -6dB setting in the Klipsch Connect App for room placement. Then tweak the LF to my room. All good
I actually ended up stuffing the ports because I kept getting bloated bass even with night mode or -6db set.
These speakers are incredibly sensitive with placement, if you have them away from the wall they open up so much more but it's just not practical.
Stuffing the ports has helped a lot.

I also found you really have to toe them in perfectly to get good detail.

Are you using parametric eq or just the eq in the app? Or do you mean you are just adjusting Subwoofer level?

I just got a set of these last night. Loud, big bass. Right up my alley. I ordered directly from Klipsch on sale at 499. I wanted to make sure I got the latest hardware and software revisions. The current Klipsch connect app doesn't work with my speakers. I tried it and it's flaky. Ended up factory resetting the speakers and turned off the dynamic bass. Had them about 18 inches from the wall on stands. Without using the app, they've worked perfectly with bluetooth from the phone and HDMI from the tv. I use the graphic eq on the phone. Haven't figured out how to use an eq with tidal or the plex tv app. So best results are bluetooth from the phone, but even without eq, they're pretty sweet. I spoke with Klipsch about the app and known bugs prior to purchase. They claim there will be a fix by the end of September. There may be better sounding powered bookshelf speakers out there, but I wanted to use Tidal and plex apps on my TV and this fits the bill perfectly.

marses

Wondering is this speaker good near field listening, < 1m. For desktop computer speaker.

Katzz

Considering the results after eq, this would be the active or powered speaker with the best sound under $500, right? Or is there other best sounding alternatives at this price?

Considering the results after eq, this would be the active or powered speaker with the best sound under $500, right? Or is there other best sounding alternatives at this price?
I bought a set. Loud, clean, and the bass is out of this world for a speaker of this size. Literally shocking to me. I don't have any experience with any other powered speaker except for 2 edifier speakers that I sent back. One was a 1280 and the other was their smaller wifi model, don't remember that model number. The fives blow them away. Should see some good deals on black friday.

Mazzic

Do you use these nearfield at all, and if so, would you have an EQ to share by chance beyond just this? I just got these as my new desktop speakers and I'm struggling a bit...If I hook them up is a USB or Optical then the bass is almost non-existent, but if I plug them into my mobo's Saber DAC, the bass is wildly out of control. I've tested out the EQs posted by the review but would love any additional info you might have.

Do you use these nearfield at all, and if so, would you have an EQ to share by chance beyond just this? I just got these as my new desktop speakers and I'm struggling a bit...If I hook them up is a USB or Optical then the bass is almost non-existent, but if I plug them into my mobo's Saber DAC, the bass is wildly out of control. I've tested out the EQs posted by the review but would love any additional info you might have.
It's a 3 band eq man. How much help can someone give you with that? I haven't used optical or usb yet here. I can tell you hdmi arc and bluetooth sound great. I can also say moving them away from the wall will help with the bass response.

Mazzic

It's a 3 band eq man. How much help can someone give you with that? I haven't used optical or usb yet here. I can tell you hdmi arc and bluetooth sound great. I can also say moving them away from the wall will help with the bass response.
Hi Scott,

I didn't ask you your settings but rather the guy who works at Klipsch? And I use a 10 band EQ via my DAC, I suspected it might be possible that he might (occasionally) use something similar, in certain circumstances. Or might have some insight into the wild swings in bass, being - again - a Klipsch insider.

Mazzic

Fair enough. I guess I cant Imagine it's hard to set a 3 band. Good luck.
See, it is that kind of condescending response that people don't find super helpful, as it turns out. If the 3 band EQ was sufficient, I wouldn't be trying out a 10 band EQ, and if the bass wasn't wildly swingy on my pair and could be easily fixed via either, I wouldnt be asking. This isn't even to mention how broken the app with the 3 band is, and how often it won't even connect to my speakers...

If you have something useful to someone, please lend them that expertise. If you just want to condescend, please refrain.

See, it is that kind of condescending response that people don't find super helpful, as it turns out. If the 3 band EQ was sufficient, I wouldn't be trying out a 10 band EQ, and if the bass wasn't wildly swingy on my pair and could be easily fixed via either, I wouldnt be asking. This isn't even to mention how broken the app with the 3 band is, and how often it won't even connect to my speakers...

If you have something useful to someone, please lend them that expertise. If you just want to condescend, please refrain.
You're right it was somewhat condescending. But I also tried to give you some feedback that you may find helpful even though I thought asking someone for their 3 band eq settings was ridiculous.

Dodgexander

Even the very best mobo DAC's are not up to scratch compared to the ones inside dedicated equipment. You'll want to use optical or USB to connect The Fives, or alternatively an external DAC.

You can then install Equalizer APO + Peace to apply the correct EQ.

You'll also want to disable any sound enhancements in the Sound Control Panel of Windows and make sure the speakers tweeters are at, or just above ear height.
You'll also want to run the Fives Updater app and follow the instructions to download and install the update, and afterwards also update the Fives via the Klipsch app.
Once you have done this and before you apply EQ you will want to set the speakers to 'Night Mode' which I believe is Klipsch is new naming for the bass cut mode.

I am using mine as desktop speakers on stands about 1-1.5ft away next to my desk either side. I use the LW EQ profile kindly shared here:

With EQ these speakers are sublime and do not lack bass at all. If you want more bass, tune the lower frequencies yourself using Peace or run the speakers outside of Night Mode.

Phidel

Hello,

At this moment I'm using these skeapers in my TV with HDMI-eARC connection, anyone tried it VS toshlink connection? There are many people saying the sound is better with Toshlink (I tried it and I think it is true), but I bought The Fives for their HDMI-eARC connection...

I'm using these speakers with the APO EQ LW 96000Hz April282021-172040 Maiky76 build, dinamic bass off, night mode off, "Other" in the speaker location, 0 bass / +3 mid / +2 treble in the app and sub level -20 with phase invert off (I have an ELAC Debut S10.2).

I'm arround at 2 meters in front of TV and I think the sound is very good but not fully premium for a spekaers like it, there is any way to improve it?

Many thanks.

Dodgexander

Hello,

At this moment I'm using these skeapers in my TV with HDMI-eARC connection, anyone tried it VS toshlink connection? There are many people saying the sound is better with Toshlink (I tried it and I think it is true), but I bought The Fives for their HDMI-eARC connection...

I'm using these speakers with the APO EQ LW 96000Hz April282021-172040 Maiky76 build, dinamic bass off, night mode off, "Other" in the speaker location, 0 bass / +3 mid / +2 treble in the app and sub level -20 with phase invert off (I have an ELAC Debut S10.2).

I'm arround at 2 meters in front of TV and I think the sound is very good but not fully premium for a spekaers like it, there is any way to improve it?

Many thanks.
I don't think you should use any EQ yourself if you are using an imported parametric EQ. All you do then is alter the most accurate adjustments.
Also, the parametric EQ you are importing is designed to be used with the old firmware with the bass-cut mode. AFAIK in the new firmware that is now called night mode. If you use it outside of night mode, you won't have the accurate EQ either.

The speakers are very good but are also pretty sensitive to positioning. If you want more detail from the sound you need to position them pointing towards your listening position, and no matter how much toe in you have on the speakers you want to be listening to them just above, or at ear height from the speaker's tweeter. If you listen below the tweeter, you will lose too much detail in the high frequencies.

I have not noticed any difference in the sound quality of HDMI or Optical, the speakers have an incredible center image which is very clear and suited for TV usage with voices.

The speakers are not groundbreakingly good, but they are excellent for their price range. You'd need to spend a lot more money to match these with EQ unless you go for some studio monitors.

Remember that not everyone enjoys the 'perfect' sound. This forum is surrounding the science of audio and that getting closer to the ideal target graph makes for a better sound. You may just not prefer this, if that's the case forget about using the parametric EQ and just tune the speakers to your liking yourself. All that matters is how you like the sound, not how someone else does, or someone else believes.

Phidel

I don't think you should use any EQ yourself if you are using an imported parametric EQ. All you do then is alter the most accurate adjustments.
Also, the parametric EQ you are importing is designed to be used with the old firmware with the bass-cut mode. AFAIK in the new firmware that is now called night mode. If you use it outside of night mode, you won't have the accurate EQ either.

The speakers are very good but are also pretty sensitive to positioning. If you want more detail from the sound you need to position them pointing towards your listening position, and no matter how much toe in you have on the speakers you want to be listening to them just above, or at ear height from the speaker's tweeter. If you listen below the tweeter, you will lose too much detail in the high frequencies.

I have not noticed any difference in the sound quality of HDMI or Optical, the speakers have an incredible center image which is very clear and suited for TV usage with voices.

The speakers are not groundbreakingly good, but they are excellent for their price range. You'd need to spend a lot more money to match these with EQ unless you go for some studio monitors.

Remember that not everyone enjoys the 'perfect' sound. This forum is surrounding the science of audio and that getting closer to the ideal target graph makes for a better sound. You may just not prefer this, if that's the case forget about using the parametric EQ and just tune the speakers to your liking yourself. All that matters is how you like the sound, not how someone else does, or someone else believes.

Many thanks for your response.

There is any parametric EQ for the new firmware? I only want to improve at maxium the quality sound of these speakers, sure there are some news EQ but I don't know where I can find it :(

I know these spekaers are sensitive to positioning, I tried different positions and now I have it at 2 m in front of me and the speaker pointing me in V position (this is the best position from all I tried) and know I changed the height and the tweeter are below my ears, and yes I listen more detailed high now (thanks).

Look this video at min 12:20, he comment the difference of sound between HDMI and optical connections:

I'm using the parametric EQ because I feel the sound more refined and because I don't know how to set a new EQ, this is the reason I want help :)

Dodgexander

Many thanks for your response.

There is any parametric EQ for the new firmware? I only want to improve at maxium the quality sound of these speakers, sure there are some news EQ but I don't know where I can find it :(

I know these spekaers are sensitive to positioning, I tried different positions and now I have it at 2 m in front of me and the speaker pointing me in V position (this is the best position from all I tried) and know I changed the height and the tweeter are below my ears, and yes I listen more detailed high now (thanks).

Look this video at min 12:20, he comment the difference of sound between HDMI and optical connections:

I'm using the parametric EQ because I feel the sound more refined and because I don't know how to set a new EQ, this is the reason I want help :)
No parametric EQ in the built-in firmware, only the very basic (and next to useless) 3 band EQ.
You need to use software on your computer, or a hardware DSP that supports Parametric EQ if you are to import the profiles and use them. This means you are then limited to use the EQ only through this software, or via the hardware DSP. There is no way for the speakers to remember it.
For watching on TV with speakers connected directly to the TV this will mean definitely you cannot use Parametric EQ without a dedicated MiniDSP or similar. Not sure if any support Optical or HDMI though.

A lot of the reviews would have been done when the speakers came out with the original firmware. Not sure if they have fixed HDMI not sounding as good as Optical, but I've only ever used mine with the latest firmware and I haven't found this problem.

In your situation you will want to keep the speakers set to night mode. When connecting to your computer you can use Parametric EQ in software like Equalizer APO+Peace. When using without a computer, for example directly from your TV this Parametric EQ cannot be used, but the best sound will still be with the speakers set to night mode.

Of course, It's a personal thing too, you don't have to like the accurate sound and can use the speakers however you like. At the end of the day if you are not happy with them (and this is just general advice) then you are best returning them while you still can to avoid buyers remorse.

Top Bottom