• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch The Fives Powered Bookshelf Speaker Review

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
and because choice is always good, here is another EQ that change the score from 5.6 to 6.7:
Score details below:
Code:
NBD  ON 0.29 0.20
NBD  LW 0.28 0.16
NBD PIR 0.26 0.19
SM  PIR 0.73 0.97
SM   SP 0.90 0.97
LFX       48   45
LFQ     0.49 0.51
-----------------
Score    5.6  6.7
-----------------
+5.61 +6.75 Klipsch The Fives
EQ is below (I would keep only the first 9):

Code:
EQ for Klipsch The Fives computed from EAC data
Preference Score 5.6 with EQ 6.7
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.7
Dated: 2021-04-28-10:43:49

Preamp: -1.0 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc 14680 Hz Gain -4.17 dB Q 0.15
Filter  2: ON PK Fc  7231 Hz Gain +1.05 dB Q 2.04
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   490 Hz Gain -1.71 dB Q 4.36
Filter  4: ON PK Fc 14604 Hz Gain -1.25 dB Q 4.10
Filter  5: ON PK Fc   602 Hz Gain -0.41 dB Q 12.00
Filter  6: ON PK Fc  1048 Hz Gain -0.86 dB Q 7.44
Filter  7: ON PK Fc   735 Hz Gain +1.46 dB Q 12.00
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  7169 Hz Gain -0.21 dB Q 12.00
Filter  9: ON PK Fc  3608 Hz Gain -0.71 dB Q 4.60
Filter 10: ON PK Fc  5460 Hz Gain +0.42 dB Q 4.67
Filter 11: ON PK Fc   936 Hz Gain -0.52 dB Q 12.00
Filter 12: ON PK Fc   815 Hz Gain +0.87 dB Q 12.00
Filter 13: ON PK Fc  1291 Hz Gain +0.42 dB Q 12.00
Filter 14: ON PK Fc   763 Hz Gain -0.51 dB Q 12.00
Filter 15: ON PK Fc  9050 Hz Gain +0.29 dB Q 6.63
Filter 16: ON PK Fc  2676 Hz Gain -0.54 dB Q 12.00
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 11428 Hz Gain +0.37 dB Q 12.00
Filter 18: ON PK Fc 10228 Hz Gain -0.34 dB Q 12.00
Filter 19: ON PK Fc  2390 Hz Gain -0.50 dB Q 12.00
Filter 20: ON PK Fc  2254 Hz Gain +0.54 dB Q 12.00

View attachment 126820View attachment 126822View attachment 126821
Very interested to try this!

hindsight

I checked last week and the firmware update page was up and working. I bought The Fives last week after reading one reviewer of the new update stated that the boomy bass issue was solved with the 9/25 update and the signature Klipsch sound was now present. The Fives were delivered yesterday so I went to the webpage where the firmware download was located on the Klipsch site and it has now been taken down. Any idea what is going on? This is extremely frustrating.
I installed the 9/25 update, and I now have 3 EQ settings that I can set using the remote instead of the original 2 (On or Off). But the EQ settings seem random. Setting 1 seems flat. Setting 2 is bass heavy. Setting 3 seems flat. I can't tell the difference between Settings 1 & 3. All still seem a bit muted on the high frequencies, and all seem to have heavy mids that muddy pop/rock music.

The Klipsch phone App was supposed to give control over EQ and firmware updates for The Fives, but this never happened. Over several App updates, the phone App has gotten worse over time: now the device firmware version menu item is gone. I uninstalled and reinstalled the App on different devices in case it was my device, but the app has definitely regressed in its functionality.

I contacted Klipsch about the firmware updates and the app, and instead I got responses that showed that they were in the midst of some internal debate as to whether the bins for flashing should be called "firmware" or "software." All I got from them was that my issues are resolved and good bye. Good grief! This experience with Klipsch has been very frustrating. I've given up talking to Klipsch.

Is there a guide to modifying the bin files manually to set my own EQ settings?

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
I installed the 9/25 update, and I now have 3 EQ settings that I can set using the remote instead of the original 2 (On or Off). But the EQ settings seem random. Setting 1 seems flat. Setting 2 is bass heavy. Setting 3 seems flat. I can't tell the difference between Settings 1 & 3. All still seem a bit muted on the high frequencies, and all seem to have heavy mids that muddy pop/rock music.

The Klipsch phone App was supposed to give control over EQ and firmware updates for The Fives, but this never happened. Over several App updates, the phone App has gotten worse over time: now the device firmware version menu item is gone. I uninstalled and reinstalled the App on different devices in case it was my device, but the app has definitely regressed in its functionality.

I contacted Klipsch about the firmware updates and the app, and instead I got responses that showed that they were in the midst of some internal debate as to whether the bins for flashing should be called "firmware" or "software." All I got from them was that my issues are resolved and good bye. Good grief! This experience with Klipsch has been very frustrating. I've given up talking to Klipsch.

Is there a guide to modifying the bin files manually to set my own EQ settings?
Keep an eye open in the next few days (end of November) for the latest release.

nicrug

New member here; hi all, and a very big thanks to the amount of work and effort that goes into the reviews here, it really does not go unnoticed.

Has anyone here had a chance to listen to both the fives and sixes? If so - what stood out to you? I am mainly interested in differences of detail and clarity between the pairs?

I would assume adding a sub to the fives would take some burden off the woofer, and perhaps this would result in more detail and clarity through the mids?

Any response is greatly appreciated, cheers!

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
New member here; hi all, and a very big thanks to the amount of work and effort that goes into the reviews here, it really does not go unnoticed.

Has anyone here had a chance to listen to both the fives and sixes? If so - what stood out to you? I am mainly interested in differences of detail and clarity between the pairs?

I would assume adding a sub to the fives would take some burden off the woofer, and perhaps this would result in more detail and clarity through the mids?

Any response is greatly appreciated, cheers!
I would wait a few days for the Fives updater App to be released. This will point you in the right direction to update the Fives via a USB stick and then update the Bluetooth capability to enable the new EQ and room placement options. Have a play with this when it's out!

nicrug

I honestly have no idea about a comparison to the Elac. As for output levels, I'd have to err on the side of caution here with the 86dB @ 1m test (as the 96dB shows high limiting). If one assumes 3dB of in-room gain + 6dB from adding a second speaker, this works out to be approximately a maximum volume of 95dB at 1 meter and 83dB at 4 meters, in-room for a pair.
Did you ever get a chance to listen to the Sixes Erin?

nicrug

I would wait a few days for the Fives updater App to be released. This will point you in the right direction to update the Fives via a USB stick and then update the Bluetooth capability to enable the new EQ and room placement options. Have a play with this when it's out!
Did this end up being released?

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
The link to the USB update is live. The Updater app not hit the App stores yet. Two stage process. USB update first and the the BT stack as a second step through the updater app. You can then use Klipsch connect app to sort out the speaker position in room. Free space, wall or corner (0dB, -3dB, -6dB). You can then fine tune using The EQ functionality.

Fedebelga

The link to the USB update is live. The Updater app not hit the App stores yet. Two stage process. USB update first and the the BT stack as a second step through the updater app. You can then use Klipsch connect app to sort out the speaker position in room. Free space, wall or corner (0dB, -3dB, -6dB). You can then fine tune using The EQ functionality.
This is the link with all the necessary info: https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404080206356-The-Fives-Updater-App-Two-Part-Process-

However I cannot download the app in the iOS App Store (probably because of a non-US/UK region, Belgium) so still waiting for a solution...

Update: url seems not to be active anymore and got an answer from the klipsch support:

Thank you for contacting Klipsch! Unfortunately the updater app has not been released yet. It should be available on both Android and iOS soon. Once updated, you will be able to EQ The Fives from within the Klipsch Connect app.

Last edited:

Toyava

Everything is up and working. Finally. Part one also contains new combo update.
Now if someone possibly can tune graphs using built-in EQ?

Fedebelga

Everything is up and working. Finally. Part one also contains new combo update.
Now if someone possibly can tune graphs using built-in EQ?
Were you able to download the klipsch updater app?
I think there are some eq graphs in earlier posts in this thread.

Toyava

Were you able to download the klipsch updater app?
I think there are some eq graphs in earlier posts in this thread.
Yes. It's released worldwide, I guess.
This is the link play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.klipsch.fivesupdater

Inapp EQ has three lines with no explanations of ranges, and bass cut mode now disabled (there is setting of placement in app, but still kinda unclear). So I'm a bit lost of how to relate settings now.

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
Yes. It's released worldwide, I guess.
This is the link play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.klipsch.fivesupdater

Inapp EQ has three lines with no explanations of ranges, and bass cut mode now disabled (there is setting of placement in app, but still kinda unclear). So I'm a bit lost of how to relate settings now.
Bass cut mode is the -6dB setting in the room placement setting

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
Set to -6dB. This is equivalent of the retired bass cut mode. The DSP has not been changed so the previous EQ settings in this thread will work

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're on sale now at Costco.

Fedebelga

Thanks. Maybe you can also help with EQ lines ranges?
Do you also have problems when switching to the app? Every time I maximize it it says “disconnected” and “getting latest data”, then after a few seconds it reconnects (even though the music is still playing). I think a lot of the app stability is still to be improved, hopefully through future updates!

Top Bottom