• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RPC1080 LCR Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had tried several different in ceiling designs for the Atmos channels in my current living room setup.
My comment above was with respect to LCR use where almost all the sales of this type of speakers are sold for. Not Atmos.

JDS

I had tried several different in ceiling designs for the Atmos channels in my current living room setup. One of the best measuring ones (Revels) had the “worst” real world performance when it came to creating an immersive overhead environment. They sounded great when standing right under them but for proper Atmos layout where they were at 30+ degree angles to the MLP, they didn’t work well for the task.

On the flip side, the latest speaker I am now using are Goldenears with built in 30 degree angles. Their measurements are average at best but for Atmos/immersive duty, it is the best my room has sounded to date.
I'm interested in how you evaluated this. I haven't tried a lot of Atmos source material yet with my all-KEF coax 5.1.2 setup, and I have no frame of reference for the stuff I have tried, so I don't know how, say, the Atmos version of "Spiderverse" should sound.

rynberg

Forum Donor
My friend's home has full house audio with ceiling speakers everywhere...(almost three dozen). We auditioned several models with actually mounting them in the ceiling. The Klipsch model (slightly lower model than tested here) were the worst by a mile. Just grossly inaccurate and unpleasant sound. Plenty other models didn't sound very good, but the Klipsch were the only ones that were just plain terrible.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My friend's home has full house audio with ceiling speakers everywhere...(almost three dozen). We auditioned several models with actually mounting them in the ceiling. The Klipsch model (slightly lower model than tested here) were the worst by a mile. Just grossly inaccurate and unpleasant sound. Plenty other models didn't sound very good, but the Klipsch were the only ones that were just plain terrible.
The Reference series or Designer series?

I had tried older Reference series Klipsch in a room a few years ago and definitely was not impressed either.

kschmit2

@amirm Amir, I see you gave the Vertical dispersion curve of SPL/frequency in order to represent the sound that becomes direct sound, shown as 40 to 50 degrees off-axis.

But since this speaker is meant to go in the L and R locations which will often be near side walls, it would be relevant for us to see the horizontal curve too, at least around the 45 degree mark. The design of the speaker means horizontal will not be same as vertical.

In fact, if your tool collects it, the best SPL/curve to represent the first reflection off the near side wall, would be a measurement axis half way between the classic horizontal and vertical arcs, taken at about 45 degrees off the axis that is orthogonal to the ceiling.

cheers
wouldn't you just angle them towards the listening position to eliminate most of that problem?

Mustang

The Reference series or Designer series?

I had tried older Reference series Klipsch in a room a few years ago and definitely was not impressed either.

Did you put these in for Atmos? There are 4 available locally. However, I currently have installed Canton 865 ceiling speakers.

I have Klipsch RF7iii as fronts with PSA 110SA's as surrounds.

I'm wondering if the Klipsch would add to the immersive sound or if the Canton's are likely just as good to better (canton is a good speaker i think). Again ATMOS use only and I do upmix everything so they contribute.

My gut says although these are more sensitive, if I give those atmos the right power, I'm torn how big a difference I might experience.

Buckeye, I know you have tried several speakers so you might say that it really does vary from speaker to speaker.

Welcome any advice if there would be something that would provide a meaningful upgrade or just keep optimizing what i have

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Did you put these in for Atmos? There are 4 available locally. However, I currently have installed Canton 865 ceiling speakers.

I have Klipsch RF7iii as fronts with PSA 110SA's as surrounds.

I'm wondering if the Klipsch would add to the immersive sound or if the Canton's are likely just as good to better (canton is a good speaker i think). Again ATMOS use only and I do upmix everything so they contribute.

My gut says although these are more sensitive, if I give those atmos the right power, I'm torn how big a difference I might experience.

Buckeye, I know you have tried several speakers so you might say that it really does vary from speaker to speaker.

Welcome any advice if there would be something that would provide a meaningful upgrade or just keep optimizing what i have
I did end up using these for my Atmos in my theater build (featured on AVS if you want to take a look) and they have been phenomenal for Atmos. Best I’ve used to date for any of my Atmos setups really.

Mustang

I did end up using these for my Atmos in my theater build (featured on AVS if you want to take a look) and they have been phenomenal for Atmos. Best I’ve used to date for any of my Atmos setups really.
Thanks, the ones for sale are actually PRO-180-RPC are those the same thing?

I'm not sure the market for used speakers but assuming i would have to eat the cost of the cantons I bought and expand the size in the ceiling. Not sure how hard it is to increase the template in the ceiling if you already have a circle cut.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

I'm not sure the market for used speakers but assuming i would have to eat the cost of the cantons I bought and expand the size in the ceiling. Not sure how hard it is to increase the template in the ceiling if you already have a circle cut.
They are similar but the LCR in this review I’m using are angled 45 degrees for better imaging

Mustang

They are similar but the LCR in this review I’m using are angled 45 degrees for better imaging

Ok so for these you can't angle the tweeter the same at the ones you are using? I will say for the cantons I can do that and it might be an opportunity to get up there and make sure that they are angled toward the MLP in the best way. I haven't moved them since I had the installer put in I just adjusted levels to balance SPL

squared80

I have the PRO-180-RPC LCR's as my Atmos speakers. Angled at 45 degrees. Work great.

Top Bottom