• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch rp-600m with good quality cables, complete change to dynamics / sound

tjtremor

I have these running on Onkyo TX-DS474, bi-amp(dual channel per speaker). Recently switched from old crap thin cables that used to oxidize / brown out with high wattage after a few weeks.

Switched to copper silicon sleeve cable, 12awg + gold plated connectors (2mm pins & 4mm banana type).

The two things I noticed after the change:
1. The base is very precise, only heavy base tracks actually returns a good volume for base and usually that's R&B, POP.
2 The twitters are crazy precise(dynamics) + clarity. Had to add +2db,+3db to the woofers for better balance. Going higher like +6db shifts mids too much to the woofers. I guess I can also try -2db -3db on the tweeters but I like the highs too much.

It feels very much like studio speakers for mixing tracks; where the sound of the track comes out so raw some songs are annoying for listening(bad mixing).

Any help with equalizer settings to make them not so RAW and precise and keep their sound signature ?

1641915261047.png

*edit, added some pics
1641917098652.png
1641917426834.png

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Any help with equalizer settings to make them not so RAW and precise and keep their sound signature ?
Nobody can tell you what you'll like...

If you want to "get serious" you can get a calibrated measurement microphone and use REW to measure the speakers in your room. Then you can use EQ, and possibly acoustic treatment, to improve the response. But even after that you may still want to tweak a bit to your taste.

complete change to dynamics
Changing/improving the cables won't actually change the dynamics, which is the relationship between loud & quiet sounds. It takes some advanced processing to compress or expand dynamics. Unless your amplifier is clipping... Clipping is a (very bad) kind of dynamic compression.

OP
T

tjtremor

Changing/improving the cables won't actually change the dynamics, which is the relationship between loud & quiet sounds. It takes some advanced processing to compress or expand dynamics. Unless your amplifier is clipping... Clipping is a (very bad) kind of dynamic compression.

Yeah I get that but there's a difference to the sound. I guess my old thin cables where pretty bad (high resistance) and 12awg makes it easier to drive the speakers which could come out as more precise sound ?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Yeah I get that but there's a difference to the sound. I guess my old thin cables where pretty bad (high resistance) and 12awg makes it easier to drive the speakers which could come out as more precise sound ?
Just curious if you know the gauge of your old speaker wire ?

acetogen

What is a cable with "high wattage"?Power can be produced by an amplifier and become output at a speaker.

I withhold having trust on Klipsch speakers until the company is able to publish power and sensitivity ratings that can be reproduced by third party measurements of their speakers.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome!
edit, added some pics
1641917098652.png
The fact that your cables are knotted that way is surely a more significant concern in the electrical domain than the "improvements" you think you heard by changing them.;)

Recently switched from old crap thin cables that used to oxidize
Then, it remains possible that resistance was a factor in the audible realm.

OP
T

tjtremor

Welcome!

The fact that your cables are knotted that way is surely a more significant concern in the electrical domain than the "improvements" you think you heard by changing them.;)
lol, well I don't have any measuring tools... but I know high frequency travels on the surface of the wire core & base,mids more center of the core.

Twisting pair for example, will soften the base & highlight the highs by a very small amount. I don't have the link, but it was measured here on this forum.

So I'm prob going to be laughed at, but since I don't really feel like twisting them; I always do the knot at the input of the speaker :rolleyes: and hope that gets rid of unwanted signals since I'm running these speaker cables close together and near the computer with tons of other high,low power cables.

OP
T

tjtremor

What is a cable with "high wattage"?Power can be produced by an amplifier and become output at a speaker.

I withhold having trust on Klipsch speakers until the company is able to publish power and sensitivity ratings that can be reproduced by third party measurements of their speakers.
I'm curious what published specs don't match ? Is it the 96dB sensitivity ?
For power is the 100w/400w peak accurate ?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely. Since Klipsch does not communicate about the conditions of measurements (in-room, anechoic, axis? and most importantly: frequency), their sensitivity numbers may be interpreted in many ways...

Actually, IEC (300Hz-3Khz) 600M's measured sensitivity is closer to 88dB.

acetogen

For power is the 100w/400w peak accurate ?
I think that Stereophile rated their rp600m at 89 db/V/m. Amir measured a range of 87-89db. It got a headless panther.

OP
T

tjtremor

This what I settled for EQ. They already sound pretty good to me with my old Onkyo receiver/amp .

cut Lows, old 10" sub doesn't actually have volume for below 30hz
cut Highs, they don't play past 15khz, I usually can hear past that with headphones

My receiver/amp is not 4ohm compatible; didn't go too much with the EQ since they are very sensitive with my Onkyo; just +1db from the receiver side to any individual speaker drivers already change the sound signature

For low impedance, I went down ~ -0.6db
For high impedance, I went up ~ 0.2db

1642090379960.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom