• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RP-600M Speaker Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
according to the measurements the Klipsch RP-600M are pretty bad. Therefore, I am just wondering why those speakers were so hyped up by other reviewers? Steve Gutenberg even put them as 2018 speaker of year.
Buy them books,
Send them to school
What did they do?
Eat the Teacher !!! :facepalm:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
according to the measurements the Klipsch RP-600M are pretty bad. Therefore, I am just wondering why those speakers were so hyped up by other reviewers? Steve Gutenberg even put them as 2018 speaker of year.

Harman research has shown that most people prefer neutral sound, but that a neutral sound has a slightly downward tilt in the in-room frequency response. Additionally wide directivity and a smooth power response have also been correlated with favorable performance.

The Klipsch RP-600M fails according to this "most people" standard.

Scientifically,
the most popular car in California and Washington State is the Honda Civic.
the most popular car in Arkansas is the Nissan Altima.
the most popular car in New York is the Honda Accord.
https://insurify.com/insights/most-popular-cars-by-state-2020/

What is important isn't that mass market doesn't translate into sports cars/SUVs/trucks, but that even the mass market can come to different conclusions.

The hype isn't coming from reviewers who are being paid to promote products. The hype is coming from
- sighted bias. US reviewers will always try to like US-branded speakers.
- reviewer subjectivity (i.e. some people like the distortion of tubes)
- poor level matching. The sensitivity is lot higher for the higher frequencies, so if something in the 250-500 Hz range seems like it's level matched, the Klipsch will play louder in the higher frequencies.

Amir noted "Dial in some simple EQ though and the speaker transforms into a beauty" which may help for reviewers who were testing in a home theater environment with EQ.

The advantage of the measurements at AudioScienceReview is that you can see the strengths/weaknesses of each speaker design. You may prefer coloration and that is OK.

The BBC dip is another good example. Some people think speakers sound better with a BBC dip. Others do not.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Lack of proper listening test methodology is certainly a factor.

Since these speakers are remarkably consistent, I would assume that the "ear EQ" would at least partially take care of the frequency response aberrations once you get used to them. Works for headphones, anyway. Also, good point about room EQ - that would basically flatten them right out.

IMHO it is easier to detect major dispersion irregularities by ear (you just have to move your head around) than frequency response aberrations, especially if your testing material does not include correspondingly revealing samples like, say, pink noise. We're also talking a dip, which tend to be substantially less obtrusive than peaks. So while the results certainly aren't ideal, it could all be a whole lot worse than speakers that can mostly be fixed with EQ.

Jindo15

Harman research has shown that most people prefer neutral sound, but that a neutral sound has a slightly downward tilt in the in-room frequency response. Additionally wide directivity and a smooth power response have also been correlated with favorable performance.

The Klipsch RP-600M fails according to this "most people" standard.

Scientifically,
the most popular car in California and Washington State is the Honda Civic.
the most popular car in Arkansas is the Nissan Altima.
the most popular car in New York is the Honda Accord.
https://insurify.com/insights/most-popular-cars-by-state-2020/

What is important isn't that mass market doesn't translate into sports cars/SUVs/trucks, but that even the mass market can come to different conclusions.

The hype isn't coming from reviewers who are being paid to promote products. The hype is coming from
- sighted bias. US reviewers will always try to like US-branded speakers.
- reviewer subjectivity (i.e. some people like the distortion of tubes)
- poor level matching. The sensitivity is lot higher for the higher frequencies, so if something in the 250-500 Hz range seems like it's level matched, the Klipsch will play louder in the higher frequencies.

Amir noted "Dial in some simple EQ though and the speaker transforms into a beauty" which may help for reviewers who were testing in a home theater environment with EQ.

The advantage of the measurements at AudioScienceReview is that you can see the strengths/weaknesses of each speaker design. You may prefer coloration and that is OK.

The BBC dip is another good example. Some people think speakers sound better with a BBC dip. Others do not.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I think ASR is a great website to get another perspective on the audio gears.

Darenik

Hello everyone . First, sorry for my bad english.. i just discover this website . I am a rp600m owner .. and now i am very disappointed .... I buy these speakers as an ignorant in audiophile systems and because i read everywhere that they were incredible for the price . I buy them in one pack with an Yamaha rn402 amplifier at 750 dollars both ..
what should i do ? Sell everything and start with something other ? With what for maximum 1k ?

I have downloaded equalizer APO and tryed reproduce this :
D8046F47-CD44-4A6B-883D-246D150D9A84.jpeg

i choosed peak filter is that correct ?

However, sorry for the newbie questions . If my message is inapropriate you can delete it . Thank you

Kw6

Darinik,

If all you need is a bookshelf look no further than Monitor Audio Gold 100 5g. I haven't seen the measurements but guarantee much better than rp600m. If you want end game speakers for bookshelf which cost a bit more than get Audio Note-E/K. Of course i reccomend tubes but if you need receiver go for Marantz or Denon. I heard all Yamaha S models sound bright. Get off the merry go round and then start enjoying to your music collection. Btw when I causally strolled by mass market store who had them playing with Denon receiver I recalled a sweet treble which was surprising but the mids sounded off like. I don't know how those youtubers couldn't hear that human voices didn't sound right! Good luck.

Last edited:

Darenik

I hope they are better, as they cost 3 times more money than the Klipsch ! Today i am not able to spend 1800 in a pair of speakers . But thank you very much, i appreciate you take time to give me an answer .

Kw6

No problem! If you can't afford them right now then start saving and keep Klipsch for now. No use making a lateral change. If you want speakers that deliver on tone and texture it cost a bit. Most of your budget should go towards the speaker I prefer high efficiency) and then look at your room acoustics as they are as important.

ta240

Major Contributor

My guess is a combination of several factors.
What reviewer/infomercial host would want to piss of Klipsch by saying I don't like these? Also one of the key things that is often mentioned in subjective reviews is "I heard things I'd never heard before" If some frequencies are boosted and others cut aren't you likely to hear things in the music that didn't stand out before?
Doing a review that says the RP-600M is an amazing speaker just about guarantees you a good number of views
It is perfectly acceptable and almost required that they come out and say they don't like bose but, I would think, one reason most don't do reviews of products they don't like is to avoid alienating any of their fans by saying they don't like a product that the viewer likes. But with some products you have to review it or you will stand out as the only reviewer that hasn't done one on it.
When so many reviews have said they are amazing I'd think some would second guess themselves if they didn't think they were amazing:

And finally, for many people creating youtube content they are not doing it to inform us; it is all about pleasing the algorithm.:

Honken

I hope they are better, as they cost 3 times more money than the Klipsch ! Today i am not able to spend 1800 in a pair of speakers . But thank you very much, i appreciate you take time to give me an answer .
This list would be a good place to start.

Since you mentioned EQ, the cheapest way to improve the sound would be to get hold of a measurement microphone and try to apply some room correction to your speakers if you haven't already. If you do get a measurement mic, you'd be able to verify if your aping of Amirs EQ is working or not (though, that ought to be evident by simply listening to the speakers in this particular case).

I wonder if any of the usual EQ masters would be willing to try their hands at correcting this speaker from Amirs data. I think it'd be very interesting to hear what these speakers could sound like as the potential is there (sorry if someone has already done so, I only skimmed through this thread).

Edit: I'm blind, see post by Eetu.

Last edited:

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone . First, sorry for my bad english.. i just discover this website . I am a rp600m owner .. and now i am very disappointed .... I buy these speakers as an ignorant in audiophile systems and because i read everywhere that they were incredible for the price . I buy them in one pack with an Yamaha rn402 amplifier at 750 dollars both ..
what should i do ? Sell everything and start with something other ? With what for maximum 1k ?

I have downloaded equalizer APO and tryed reproduce this :
View attachment 71063
i choosed peak filter is that correct ?

However, sorry for the newbie questions . If my message is inapropriate you can delete it . Thank you
I recommend that you try the filters in @QMuse s post #136. They should make a huge improvement :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
what should i do ? Sell everything and start with something other ?
Did you enjoy them before reading this review? If you did, continue to enjoy them for now, they are pretty decent speakers for the money. There's always something better just around the corner but you can't let that kill your love for what you have. For a max of $1k your not going to get something that will make a monkey out of the 600M's .
If you do enjoy them, keep them around till you can afford something much more expensive. Then keep your eyes open here for something in that budget. I'd be thinking something in the $3-5k range to make a real meaningful upgrade, chosen properly that IMO is the sweet spot for speakers, above which it begins to get very expensive to make a serious improvement.

Dial in some simple EQ though and the speaker transforms into a beauty.
I recommend that you try the filters in @QMuse s post #136. They should make a huge improvement
That is some very good advice Darenik, and will be the beginning of a learning experience that can be of great value in the future no matter what you may upgrade to at some point.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you enjoy them before reading this review? If you did, continue to enjoy them for now, they are pretty decent speakers for the money. There's always something better just around the corner but you can't let that kill your love for what you have. For a max of $1k your not going to get something that will make a monkey out of the 600M's .
If you do enjoy them, keep them around till you can afford something much more expensive. Then keep your eyes open here for something in that budget. I'd be thinking something in the $3-5k range to make a real meaningful upgrade, chosen properly that IMO is the sweet spot for speakers, above which it begins to get very expensive to make a serious improvement.

That is some very good advice Darenik, and will be the beginning of a learning experience that can be of great value in the future no matter what you may upgrade to at some point.
I second that - strongly! Don't let your new knowledge spoil your fun.

Darenik

Hello . I answer a little bit late . Thank you all for your advice . Yes i enjoy my speakers and will certainly keep them . Reading this topic the first time was very brutal haha .

i tried to reproduce this :
32CB396D-9607-4603-B603-EE5657D99F6B.jpeg

But i dont know if i’m doing good . Is it peak filter ? What is the name of the software ?
Again, thank you all

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello . I answer a little bit late . Thank you all for your advice . Yes i enjoy my speakers and will certainly keep them . Reading this topic the first time was very brutal haha .

i tried to reproduce this :
View attachment 71641
But i dont know if i’m doing good . Is it peak filter ? What is the name of the software ?
Again, thank you all
And yes, peak. You can use any Parametric EQ such as Equalizer APO (I recommend Peace with it) or the one in Roon like our host. The biggest flaw is the ~2khz dip, otherwise they are nice speakers, don't worry about it :)

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I recently put some cheap (6 €) self-adhesive paper/ foil that is usually used to cover furniture on my black RP600Ms. I just like white speakers much more and white speakers better match my room. It took only 20 minutes for both and I am not really handy. I like the result. It looks slick. It is definitely not perfect. Especially, the edges are very round and the fit is not good at the edges. But it works really well with the RP600Ms due to their rectangular shape.

That’s what I bought: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01L043HWC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_udSKFbG9X1AQS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20201023_111847.jpg

IMG_20201023_111852.jpg

IMG_20201023_111903.jpg

wje

Forum Donor
I recently put some cheap (6 €) self-adhesive paper/ foil that is usually used to cover furniture on my black RP600Ms. I just like white speakers much more and white speakers better match my room. It took only 20 minutes for both and I am not really handy. I like the result. It looks slick. It is definitely not perfect. Especially, the edges are very round and the fit is not good at the edges. But it works really well with the RP600Ms due to their rectangular shape.

That’s what I bought: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01L043HWC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_udSKFbG9X1AQS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have access to some of the "wraps" that are available? They don't have an adhesive back, but you use a blow dryer to have the wrap conform to your item you are covering. It tends to work a bit better - you shouldn't see any bubbles, etc. when applying it.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Do you have access to some of the "wraps" that are available? They don't have an adhesive back, but you use a blow dryer to have the wrap conform to your item you are covering. It tends to work a bit better - you shouldn't see any bubbles, etc. when applying it.
As a matter of fact, I am not sure I am a ware of the "wraps" you are talking about. Are these specific for speakers? Would you mind share a link. It would be awesome to have a better fit.

wje

Forum Donor
As a matter of fact, I am not sure I am a ware of the "wraps" you are talking about. Are these specific for speakers? Would you mind share a link. It would be awesome to have a better fit.

Here's a link to a video on how to install a wrap on an item. You can basically find many colors of wraps on sites such as Amazon, Ebay, etc. Just watch the video on how to install, then search some of your available sites for the product.

Top Bottom