• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RP-600M Speaker Review

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It can get close, but you'll need a tight Q on it if you don't expect to impact the rest of the spectrum. That said, I do not EQ currently, as my PC is a source for more than one input (set of amps and speakers). I have a listening system, a guitar rig, and a drum rig; each with different speakers, but all receiving output from the PC in one form or another.

So, while I may EQ something I'm recording, I don't EQ the output to the speakers. Therefore, I prefer something that isn't as bad as these are.

Makes sense. Yeah these are probably pretty bad if you're not using EQ.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They still have "top of the class" sensitivity given their size so its not a bad recommendation for this criterion.
I don't think that most of Klipsch's sensitivity claims in the modern era hold up terribly well when actually measured (e.g., by Stereophile).

ta240

Major Contributor
They still have "top of the class" sensitivity given their size so its not a bad recommendation for this criterion.

From Stereophile:
"The Klipsch's specified sensitivity is an extraordinarily high 96dB/2.83V/m. My estimate was much lower, at 89.6dB(B)/2.83V/m, "

While 89 is still good for a small speaker if someone is also considering a speaker with an honest 87 or 88 rating and goes for the Klipsch based on thinking it is really 96 then the poor competing company that published honest ratings for their speakers looses out by being honest.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello John. I agree with you for folks in our age bracket. :) I suspect much younger folks though will hear that last octave as brightness. Have you checked that with someone in their 20s?

I think the 20yo's are all using air pods. Its only us older fellas still using speakers.....:)

Jhify

Hello John. I agree with you for folks in our age bracket. :) I suspect much younger folks though will hear that last octave as brightness. Have you checked that with someone in their 20s?

27 YO here. My hearing declines from 17k and I tend to agree with what john says on my experience. 10k+ is basically "air" and sparkles. The klipschs aren't bright in the slightest (especially with the grills on) at low to mid listening level in my room and I'm a tad treble sensitive (based on headphones experience). They tend to become a bit shouty and agressive when you really crank them up though. Makes you want to lower the volume down. I just guess they are designed that way as they mainly aim for the home theater market. A gun shot isn't suppose to be a delight for our ears and sounds real when it makes you cringe. Just an assumption, I am actually clueless.

Jhify

How have you determined this?

Definitely not scientifically. Just a couple of years of experience in the home studio playing with eq and using reference tracks for the mastering. Above 10k especially form 11/12k it sounds just like air and fizzy noises to my ears and it is very unlikely I could distinguish any pitch. Most of the productions out there are rolled off from 10k anyway and have little energy in that area out of the studio but some modern electronic music on some occasions. The same amount of energy in the the 10-20k area will sound bad but is defo not as hurtful to my ears as excess of energy in the 5-10k area. It's just my experience. Please do more audio interface and studio monitors ;)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the directivity and the fact that most Atmos speakers are paired with some sort of Room EQ. does anyone have thoughts on the RP-500SA as a Atmos speaker?

maty

Major Contributor
KLIPSCH RP-6000F
[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3193-klipsch-rp-6000f

https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&from=&to=en&a=https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3193-klipsch-rp-6000f

Graphs in the PDF: https://audio.com.pl/files/lmw/2677-Klipsch_RP-6000F.pdf

Klipsch-RP600F-frequency.png

Figure. 1. processing characteristics throughout the acoustic band, on different axes

Klipsch-RP600F-impedance.png

Figure. 2. charakteystics of the impedance module.

Rated impedance [Ω] 4
Sensitivity (2.83 V / 1 m) [dB] 89
Rated power [W] 125
Dimensions (H x W x D) [cm] 100.6 x 23.7 x 43.2
Mass [kg] 22

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Speaking of Klipsch -- and in the context of this (RP-600M) review, I thought that this graph, posted at audioasylum*, was interesting.
This is the current -- and not inexpensive -- version of the venerable Cornwall three way.

The Urquelle apparently is "Stereoplay" (?).

1586347432040.png

Dpes that look familiar (albeit at a lower frequency, since the culprit here is, apparently, the MR driver and/or XO)?
1586347619384.png

To tell you the truth, based on my long and ultimately frustrating experience with a pair of 1974-era Cornies, engineering some dips into the FR curve was probably not a bad idea ;) The original Cornies coulda used one an order of magnitude or so higher up in frequency, too (IMO)!

EDIT: Jeepers, looks like there's a dip at or near the tweeter XO, too! Missed that on first sight. :confused:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That mid is very unhappy! And not so well integrated. Perhaps Klipsch should try a 4-way speaker...

Assuming the distortion graphs are accurate, they do not support claims that higher sensitivity implies lower distortion. If the specs are honest, these graphs used no more than 1W!

peanuts

why cant they manage to have crossover in phase or whatever in any of their speakers?

rf7
rf7.JPG

caioferrari

English is my second language and I'm not fluent but I'll try to say something about rp-600m:

I've tested these speaker and I made a a/b comparison with my old Klipsch RB-51II. The first thing I've noticed is the huge amount of bass these babies are capable for. Seems that subwoofer is just unnecessary there. The tweeters are very revealing at the first listen but the highs are very very sharpen. Seems there is a peak at the very high frequencies, above 10kHz (as the graphic shows) that hurts my ears. The middle range lives shy between the shadow of the highs and lows. When I putted them to play, seems that the singer moved away about 3 feet from the microphone.

I've tested these speakers as a upgrade from the RB 51-II but turns out it was a downgrade. The only positive side is it has more bass but it is easily archived with a subwoofer. The 51 is "bright" but the highs doesn't bother me and the voices are played loud and clear. I downside is they demand a subwoofer for some musics but it is expected from a 5,25" woofer, right?

My conclusion is the RB-600M is a clearly V-shaped sound and besides that, it's not fun to listen to. A lot of people say that Bose products are V-shapped too, but it turns it is fun for a casual listen. It doesn't hurt your ears even though it's not a truly Hi-Fi sound. The 600M sound bothers me a lot.

I'm not a trained listener, I'm not used to listen to expensive gears and even so I'm not recommend the RB-600M.

hmt

From Stereophile:
"The Klipsch's specified sensitivity is an extraordinarily high 96dB/2.83V/m. My estimate was much lower, at 89.6dB(B)/2.83V/m, "

While 89 is still good for a small speaker if someone is also considering a speaker with an honest 87 or 88 rating and goes for the Klipsch based on thinking it is really 96 then the poor competing company that published honest ratings for their speakers looses out by being honest.

Unfortunately their sensitivity is mostly driven by elevated high mids and treble. Where yo need it (in the bass) it is rather poor.

caioferrari

From Stereophile:

Yes, by doing so they loose a LOT of points. We can't trust on any number from them. And they say, for a long time ago, that these small speakers has a such high sensitivity.

By the way, I don´t know why some people likes so much that high sensitivity for home use. Speaker has a short blanket behavior. If a small speaker has a high sensitivity, it looses bass extension. The only way to get high sensitivity AND bass extension is with a large driver.

At the professional line, you can buy a 8" driver with a REAL 96 db/W but, whats the point? Having a 8" driver that starts to work above 80 Hz? Is very innocent to believe that Klipsch is only company in the world who know how to make a 5-6" driver that starts from 45-50Hz and has a 96 db/W sensitivity, isn't it?

At this point, Bose sound a more honest company. They don´t publish any data, they don't promises any number, they just make a small speaker with a impressive sound (for most people) that costs a lot of money. You cannot accuse them to sell fake numbers...

Jindo15

according to the measurements the Klipsch RP-600M are pretty bad. Therefore, I am just wondering why those speakers were so hyped up by other reviewers? Steve Gutenberg even put them as 2018 speaker of year.

Top Bottom