• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RP-600M Speaker Review

wje

Forum Donor
It is not clear from you comment. Are you saying that the modded B6.2 sounded better than it did before the mod? If so where you able to compare the before and after in some way?

In my case, I didn't have access to testing and measurements. However, I performed one crossover mod on a single speaker, then compared it to the other one for my own personal impressions. Ideally, it would have been better to have a friend determine which speaker to place in the L/R positions while I was out of the room and then when I would return, then note my observations between the two. This would have been more along the lines of a double-blind test. In the case of the modifications, the new resistors were a bit larger than the original sand-cast resistors, so I had to move the crossover to the bottom of the speaker cabinet after de-coupling it from the panel where the binding posts connect.

I have another pair of B6.2 that are currently not modified. The modified version was sold off due to a speaker purge of mine. However, if I decide to keep the current pair of B6.2 speakers, I'm open to ordering the parts, performing the mod and going through some additional observations. What I did note, though, is that the upper frequencies were not quiet as intense following the modification and could experience more comport in listening for longer periods of time. But, now, the Elac Debut Reference is becoming more available and I may opt for a pair, but would sell of the B6.2.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Would be interesting to test if one driver is connected with wrong phase internally by mistake.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm... Will Steve Guttenberg be joining soon, too? :cool:
I think he should. The fact that ASR is having this sort of influence is a good thing.

Being really the last of the 'subjective' components, loudspeaker measurements are at most an interesting curiosity to most consumers. Everyone understands the Klipsch (or JBL or B&W or whatever ) sound. No one cross shops these with Genelec monitors. Folks will buy what they like, or what they are told they should like. It's an education by experience that really can't be had by looking at charts. At least it is that way for most folks.

wje

Forum Donor
Being really the last of the 'subjective' components, loudspeaker measurements are at most an interesting curiosity to most consumers. Everyone understands the Klipsch (or JBL or B&W or whatever ) sound. No one cross shops these with Genelec monitors. Folks will buy what they like, or what they are told they should like. It's an education by experience that really can't be had by looking at charts. At least it is that way for most folks.

Yes, Amir, you are correct. I know, for myself, I can look at all the specifications for a product, read reviews, and follow test reports such as you provide and can get caught up in "analysis paralysis". While it might be easy for some to simply just go out and buy what ranks high on the test results, getting it into your home and actually putting it to use - hearing, seeing and feeling it, may change things quite a bit.

doodlebro

Not sure if mentioned yet, but I would appreciate measurements AFTER EQ if it is done. I know the measurement takes awhile but I think it would help harmonize how useful EQ is from a pure measurement perspective.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if mentioned yet, but I would appreciate measurements AFTER EQ if it is done. I know the measurement takes awhile but I think it would help harmonize how useful EQ is from a pure measurement perspective.

Measurements for individual adjustments in the low-frequency range make no sense, as these are different in every room.

To see what effect adjustments above the Schroeder frequency have, look at the normalised horizontal and vertical frequency response measurements. There you can see how the frequency response under angle is related to the one on axis.

Amir or others may be able to publish the horizontal and vertical normalised sonograms of the measured speakers to have a different visual representation (but we already have the normalised frequency response representation).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is interesting in the extreme why the 600M has become the darling of the affordable cost subjective world?
It tells so much about the marketing power of the media and the interrelationships between manufacturer and media.
And it's not good. :(

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

SynthesisCinema

until coming across a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers available locally - which is what I currently have on the stands at the moment. I'm enjoying the Bronze 2 speakers at the moment - subjectively, they are providing me with the sound "fix" that I'm currently enjoying.

Would be great to see some MA speakers measured by Amir! Silver range can be found on NRC site. The earlier Bronze BX2 below. :)

"The Bronze BX2 left/right minispeaker measures extremely well. Its on-axis response is largely flat, and its off-axis response is one of the best I've seen. In fact, the off-axis response curves are almost identical to the on-axis curve, just decreasing in level as you move further off-axis."

sv_monitor_audio_chart.jpg

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 55043

Hi Amir, when you write in this graph “Peaking above 10kHz will sound bright,” that hasn't been my experience. Excess energy in the top octave, if also present off-axis, tends to add "air" or fizziness and lispiness if extreme. If the excess above 10kHz is small and the tweeter's dispersion is limited in this region (as they almost all are), then it can actually result in a neutral top-octave balance in all but small rooms. Brightness, I have found, tends to be due to too much energy between 5kHz and 10kHz.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not sure if mentioned yet, but I would appreciate measurements AFTER EQ if it is done.
I don't have a means of capturing Roon EQ and translating it into a curve for Klippel measurements. It is possible but way outside of the realm of this lazy man right now. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It is interesting in the extreme why the 600M has become the darling of the affordable cost subjective world?
It tells so much about the marketing power of the media and the interrelationships between manufacturer and media.
And it's not good. :(
It's good for them lol

Anyone who's seen behind the veneer of the so called high end audio industry knows they walk hand in hand with the media that cover it.

Products don't get reviewed they get promoted and in doing so the media outlets promote the industry or so they think. They've been spending their credibility though and the banks calling in the debt.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I don't have a means of capturing Roon EQ and translating it into a curve for Klippel measurements. It is possible but way outside of the realm of this lazy man right now. :)

I believe he is asking for simple in-room measurement after your Roon EQ and comparison with PIR. That indeed would be an interesting thing to have.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir, when you write in this graph “Peaking above 10kHz will sound bright,” that hasn't been my experience. Excess energy in the top octave, if also present off-axis, tends to add "air" or fizziness and lispiness if extreme. If the excess above 10kHz is small and the tweeter's dispersion is limited in this region (as they almost all are), then it can actually result in a neutral top-octave balance in all but small rooms. Brightness, I have found, tends to be due to too much energy between 5kHz and 10kHz.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
Hello John. I agree with you for folks in our age bracket. :) I suspect much younger folks though will hear that last octave as brightness. Have you checked that with someone in their 20s?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believe he is asking for simple in-room measurement after your Roon EQ and comparison with PIR. That indeed would be an interesting thing to have.
This is actually worse for me as indoor measurements require me worrying the rest of the household putting up with it. I impose enough on them with 100 boxes in our living room as it is. I do have a dedicated room but it is on another floor and lugging speakers to it is just not fun. And that room is not setup as a lab at all right now for such tests.

Really, you all should value the measurements and everything else after that is a bonus of sorts.

Top Bottom