• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RP-600M Speaker Review

Beave

Major Contributor
You know what good studio monitors sound like? They sound like good home speakers. Shocking, I know. Why would studio monitors be "boring?" If they sound "boring," maybe it's the recording that's boring?

captainbeefheart

I can tell you first hand that Klipsch can be a love hate thing for people, you either love them or hate them. But one thing should be clear is that when the majority of people say they really like Klipsch speakers they are talking about the klipshorn or other models in their heritage line like Heresy, La Scala, Cornwall, and Belle. The fact they are very efficient attracts the people that enjoy high quality well designed low powered tube amplifiers. I know many of you are reading this and scratching our head about to tell me my last sentence is an oxymoron, hold tight and let me finish:) With average listening levels you are seriously using mW's of power, for a 20db dynamic peak headroom I personally only require a 10 watt amplifier for even very loud listening levels. Good designs by my standards are a rigorously designed power supply, carefully nested feedback loops, adjustable negative and positive current feedback from the speaker, and for most importantly for low powered singled ended amps I do not see why more companies aren't going Class A2 grid drive. Now I still rate the amplifier as if it's in A1 operation but allowing the driver to drive the output tube grid into conduction gives the lower power tube amp a much higher peak power rating for dynamic material. The amp doesn't just clip causing blocking distortion and bias shift needing time to recover. For example one of my SE amps is 1% THD at around 8 watts but it's second harmonic dominant (-45db). Mind you on average you will be under 1 watt so distortion is around .1% THD at 1/2 watt. Now if I was planning on mixing music in a studio I would have a completely different setup but for whatever reason, and I know it's not accuracy the tube amp and my La Scala's are just heaven. I do have a self powered sub-woofer crossed over just where the La Scala's woofer starts to drop off.

So I know the measurements aren't great, I have no experience with the model of speakers used in this review but just wanted to discuss the brand a little better and give some credit where credit is due in that for some reason my ears are very happy. I have heard a lot of equipment in many places so it's not that I have a lack of experience with many different types of gear at all different price levels and performance. The end goal is to listen to music and smile and that's what Klipsch speakers and a well designed amplifier can do. Of course you need a nice DAC and some good material but that's not that difficult or expensive in today's day and age, it's getting the speakers, room and amplifier down.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here the point of the discussion is simple, hifi or myfi?
I will be sincere, and many purists will turn up their noses, more than total absolute fidelity, I am looking for emotion, fun, I am perfectly at peace with myself listening to a system that is not audio perfection but that for some reason makes me have more fun. The important thing is to be aware of it and not to sell your personal taste with absolute truth.
For this reason in the evening, when I listen to jazz at low volume, I click on "loudness" without shame, for this reason listening to the rp600m I felt a pleasure and a fun that other speakers have not given me.
It must be said that I listen to a lot of electronic music, synthesized music etc., in short, a lot of music in which the speaker really becomes the instrument, simply because that noise does not exist in any form in nature, it does not derive from an instrument, you cannot listen to it in any way if not with a speaker.
For this reason I have another setup with more balanced kef Q350s that I listen to different stuff with, and I don't find there is anything wrong with that. Only the awareness of what the tools offer us

SynthesisCinema

Klipsch introduced new Reference Premiere II range.

For this 2022 edition of the Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers, the American manufacturer is adding a new midbass driver. It keeps the spun copper Cerametallic cone, and now incorporates a new voice coil that is 70% larger, as well as a new structure for the magnetic system. This optimization gives the various Klipsch Reference Premiere 2022 speakers better power handling, more linear reproduction, as well as a marked reduction in distortion. Finally, the diameter of the cone varies from 4″ (Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-404C II) to 7.8″ (Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F II) depending on the model.

This 2022 edition of the Klipsch Reference Premiere also redesigns the Tractrix horn, shared by all speakers in the range. It is still square (90° x 90°), but now covers the entire front of the speaker. The latter ensures a better transmission of highs and mids. Therefore, the listening area and the sound stage are both wider.

The aesthetics of the Klipsch Reference Premiere 2022 speakers have also been revised. The simpler front panel abandons the previous version's grille mounting system in favor of a magnetic system. More refined, the front of these speakers is even more beautiful. The silhouettes are smoother and the finish stands out from the previous generation with its Premium appearance. Finally, the cabinets of the Klipsch Reference Premiere 2022 speakers benefit from additional reinforcements to limit unwanted resonance and vibrations.

Pp3X4eu1fpLAdIHu2XvbjSMmDkIu1gp83_PP5joOCWa4LjdXzg4IDw6l2Vez5J6EiP72AoiVmj8_1Vs3ueGm8Zr_MuxMRa-EK-imiP35bdIqQaofITKmnV5jPcrCabcmEBs6dUUH

The new Tractrix horn (here that of the Klipsch RP-600M II speaker) occupies the front panel from edge to edge to optimize the dispersion of highs and mids.

KiK6kv6_ftBc9mrhIBPE4Q6i_HrNvB3zTW9HpZDF93fJXibY-fT7Se5AWFDUx3NWnaiZGAgr5Tywc0kX0pRd5cOWGTvxh7QXSj-drJdzN7WoaJehuoVgUhwh3HaXh-k0No-MgTTR

tjtremor

For this 2022 edition of the Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers, the American manufacturer is adding a new midbass driver. It keeps the spun copper Cerametallic cone, and now incorporates a new voice coil that is 70% larger, as well as a new structure for the magnetic system. This optimization gives the various Klipsch Reference Premiere 2022 speakers better power handling, more linear reproduction, as well as a marked reduction in distortion. Finally, the diameter of the cone varies from 4″ (Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-404C II) to 7.8″ (Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F II) depending on the model.

This 2022 edition of the Klipsch Reference Premiere also redesigns the Tractrix horn, shared by all speakers in the range. It is still square (90° x 90°), but now covers the entire front of the speaker. The latter ensures a better transmission of highs and mids. Therefore, the listening area and the sound stage are both wider.

The aesthetics of the Klipsch Reference Premiere 2022 speakers have also been revised. The simpler front panel abandons the previous version's grille mounting system in favor of a magnetic system. More refined, the front of these speakers is even more beautiful. The silhouettes are smoother and the finish stands out from the previous generation with its Premium appearance. Finally, the cabinets of the Klipsch Reference Premiere 2022 speakers benefit from additional reinforcements to limit unwanted resonance and vibrations.

Pp3X4eu1fpLAdIHu2XvbjSMmDkIu1gp83_PP5joOCWa4LjdXzg4IDw6l2Vez5J6EiP72AoiVmj8_1Vs3ueGm8Zr_MuxMRa-EK-imiP35bdIqQaofITKmnV5jPcrCabcmEBs6dUUH

The new Tractrix horn (here that of the Klipsch RP-600M II speaker) occupies the front panel from edge to edge to optimize the dispersion of highs and mids.

KiK6kv6_ftBc9mrhIBPE4Q6i_HrNvB3zTW9HpZDF93fJXibY-fT7Se5AWFDUx3NWnaiZGAgr5Tywc0kX0pRd5cOWGTvxh7QXSj-drJdzN7WoaJehuoVgUhwh3HaXh-k0No-MgTTR
Is that the only place for buying them ? I don't see these anywhere else on google search or Klipsch website.

Putter

Forum Donor

I'm sorry to ask, but what is your point? This reads like ad copy from Klipsch and as such doesn't really belong here. It's not an objective review or even a subjective review, just promo about how much more wonderful and special is the new version.

Chaconne

I'm sorry to ask, but what is your point? This reads like ad copy from Klipsch and as such doesn't really belong here. It's not an objective review or even a subjective review, just promo about how much more wonderful and special is the new version.
While I don't object to the information provided in the post, I do think it should have been identified as a direct quotation from what appears to be marketing material, and it should have some attribution as to the source. That said, the information is likely to be helpful to anyone contemplating a Klipsch because they may want to hold off until the redesigned speakers are available for purchase.

captainbeefheart

I do think it should have been identified as a direct quotation from what appears to be marketing material

I took the first sentence as written from him and the rest pasted from the manufacturer marketing material.

It certainly could have been clearer though. I like to do a lead in like he did with the first sentence with the addition of citing source and putting the pasted material in quotations. It's just proper editing etiquette.

I too welcome the content as it's letting us consumers know there is a new reference model which most likely tests way different the ones in this review. I have heard a lot of Klipsch speakers and it does appear they voiced the speakers in review with a scooped mid but it is far from the house sound. In actuality it's the opposite of the house sound, their top of the line speakers from the heritage series made in Hope have very clean and attentive mid frequencies from the Squawker but I believe that's why they sound so good, all the detail is in the midrange and that's where the magic is as we are very sensitive in that area.

SynthesisCinema

I should have put the marketing stuff under quote, but i can´t edit the message anymore. There is not much of information anywhere about the new range so i thought people would welcome to see news about new model and what changes has been made cause this RP range is probably one of the most sold/hyped in this price range. Maybe @amirm can edit my post if it causes such butt hurt for Mr. thread police.

posvibes

Score EQ LW: 6.4
with sub: 8.3

Score EQ Score: 6.6
with sub: 8.5
Okay if I was young enough I would name my next child after you.

I have a pair of RP160m's that I bought a few years ago and regretted straight away and I'll admit I was taken in by the marketing in a weak moment. These EQ settings have saved these speakers from being moved on and the results although meant for RP600's work very well with the 160's. Even the narrow directivity has been widened at the listening position.

They present very well although I will be going back to the JBL305mkii's because of ease of use, but these are very likeable with the EQ Score.

Thanks again.

amdaman

Hi - does anyone know if the RP-160M suffers from this same dip? I've just purchased a pair and I'd like to know if I should be EQ'ing them on arrival.

Cheers

Juampa1989

Hi - does anyone know if the RP-160M suffers from this same dip? I've just purchased a pair and I'd like to know if I should be EQ'ing them on arrival.

Cheers
I have the same speakers and if they color the treble I feel it especially at 8k and 16k, the mids are a bit cloudy between 1k and 2k and the bass feels a bit poor from 100hz on down and with a drop off at 45hz, I have them with subwoofer, the mids don't bother me and the treble is sometimes jarring depending on the content. I like that sound, I don't EQ it, but if I did I would turn up the mids a bit, turn down the treble and put in a subwoofer. I personally find flat sound boring and for a professional environment it's fine. But as a casual listener I like the more colorful sound. But each person has their personal tastes and listens to their music as they see fit. In short, they are not flat. They have a brilliant sound.

amdaman

Thanks!

So my setup is going to be paired with a STR-DH790 which is pretty basic I believe but it has an EQ (its still in the post). To correct the dip I would just go into the EQ and would just bump up the 1-2k frequency? I have a sub so I can cross that over from 100hz no problem. Sorry for the newbie questions!

Nwickliff

Thanks!

So my setup is going to be paired with a STR-DH790 which is pretty basic I believe but it has an EQ (its still in the post). To correct the dip I would just go into the EQ and would just bump up the 1-2k frequency? I have a sub so I can cross that over from 100hz no problem. Sorry for the newbie questions!
Just go to the review on the first page and Amir has an EQ applied that will correct its deficiencies at the very end of the review. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...psch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/post-354117

Juampa1989

¡Gracias!

Entonces, mi configuración se combinará con un STR-DH790, que creo que es bastante básico, pero tiene un ecualizador (aún está en la publicación). Para corregir la caída, simplemente entraría en el ecualizador y aumentaría la frecuencia de 1 a 2k. Tengo un sub así que puedo cruzarlo desde 100hz sin problema. ¡Perdón por las preguntas de novato!
The two models are practically the same. To increase the bass, I moved it closer to the wall, and this made the treble not as strong.

Last edited:

caioferrari

Thanks!

You can’t correct Klipsch nasty response with an EQ. It existis due to a timing diference between woofer and tweeter at crossover point.

The best way to correct them is buying a speaker brand that uses objective data and good engineering in their projects. KEF and Harman products are the way to go.

beagleman

Major Contributor
You can’t correct Klipsch nasty response with an EQ. It existis due to a timing diference between woofer and tweeter at crossover point.

The best way to correct them is buying a speaker brand that uses objective data and good engineering in their projects. KEF and Harman products are the way to go.

I thought Danny at GR Research determined the tweeter was actually out of phase, but even inverting it, did not "Fix" it cause it was not 180 degrees out of phase, but some odd number of phase.

The new version fixed a lot wrong with this one.

I still have no idea why these get rave reviews. Totally a mess in some ways sound wise, with the newer replacement a LOT better, but still not perfection.

caioferrari

I thought Danny at GR Research determined the tweeter was actually out of phase, but even inverting it, did not "Fix" it cause it was not 180 degrees out of phase, but some odd number of phase.

The new version fixed a lot wrong with this one.

I still have no idea why these get rave reviews. Totally a mess in some ways sound wise, with the newer replacement a LOT better, but still not perfection.

Because there is a lot of reviews who think that they have good ears and they don’t.

I bought two gears that sounds like sh*** and has good reviews around there. Klipsch 600M and Arylic A50+ amp.

Klipsch has a lot of bass and treble. And I consider myself as a basshead.

The Arylic amp makes everything sounds like a 96 kpbs MP3. And I’m a guy who never heard a difference between amps before…

Belirium

Someone can please point me to the values of this EQ curve i found in FTP folder? I Can't seem to find it here. Thanks in advance.

filters_eq_full.jpg

anduro

Searched and couldn’t find a definite answer, apologies if I missed it. I’ve heard both that this speaker takes well to EQ to directivity, but also that the crossover issue can’t be EQ’d due to phase issues. Does anyone have measurements to confirm one way or the other? Even a simple in-room measurement would be fine I think - just to confirm that boosting that range would have the desired result.

Top Bottom