• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RP-5000F II, RP-6000F II and RP-8000F II reviewed by Erin

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really, we are talking about two different things there. The 2.5 way construction just modifies the frequency and power response to get a flat direct sound compared to a 2 way construction of the same baffle and drivers where it has to be done in the crossover (by reducing the output above the baffle step), while a cardiodid changes the directivity in the bass and thus is taking the baffle step frequency lower. The 2.5 way does not change the baffle step frequency as this just depends on the baffle dimensions.
I was not talking about a cardioid design. I starting commenting to your post below. There is no mention of cardioid on that. However, you are now talking only about cardioid design.
:D I have nothing though against the physics and looks of wide baffle implementations, only that they have become very rare and unfortunately also usually expensive in the last decades, which is rather a law of market. :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All of this is on top of the baffle step, which will not go away obviously. Essentially it works exactly because it radiates in all directions. If it would not do that, there would not be anything to cancel ;)
Keep in mind that in front of the baffle the drivers are in phase, which would increase output by 6dB just like with a 2.5 way design.

It's only with the case of a passive resistive cardioid that you're losing output on-axis below the port tuning frequency.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that in front of the baffle the drivers are in phase, which would increase output by 6dB just like with a 2.5 way design.
Eh... no?
It's only with the case of a passive resistive cardioid that you're losing output on-axis below the port tuning frequency.
There is no port tuning. It's the path length that determines basically everything.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no port tuning. It's the path length that determines basically everything.
It's a hole in the cabinet that is letting air out that has a resonance frequency, whether you would like to call it a port or not that's up to you.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a hole in the cabinet that is letting air out that has a resonance frequency, whether you would like to call it a port or not that's up to you.
Obviously, you create some resonators. When designed correctly the frequency of the tuning is lower than the usable bandwidth of the driver though.
Then what stops the back subwoofer from completely canceling the front subwoofer since both of them are 100% omnidirectional? ;)
Somehow I doubt that is the case? Can't exactly wrap my head around it though.

Flak

Industry Insider
I imagine that these speakers are intended to be listened to with NO TOE IN so that the main listening point is at a significant angle vs. the speakers.
It would be interesting to see the response from that angle as it should be quite different and the highs should be attenuated...

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Flak

Industry Insider
Maybe. Although a quick look at their web site shows them toed in, at least somewhat: https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-8000f-floorstanding-speaker#post-product-summary
Interesting :)
That image refers to the previous version and, as you mentioned, the speakers are toed in but they are not for the new version:

The manual mentions a slight toe-in though and an image even more... maybe legacy?

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting :)
That image refers to the previous version and, as you mentioned, the speakers are toed in but they are not for the new version:

The manual mentions a slight toe-in though and an image even more... maybe legacy?
My own experience with horns is I prefer toe-in. To me it sounds more personal, like headphones. In the end I think it will depend on listener preference.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

munozoga22

Hello.

First time posting, so apologies if I mess up. I have a pair of Klipsch rp-8000F that I bought brand new in March 2023. I only use them for music and are connected to an Emotiva XPA-200. I have been noticing since May(ish) that when I play music at high volume, the sound fluctuates. It get louder or lower randomly. This is pretty annoying to me and I am at a loss as to what the issue may be. I contacted Klipsch and they said the Emotiva does not have enough power to handle these speakers. Is this possible? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Battlebeast

Hello.

First time posting, so apologies if I mess up. I have a pair of Klipsch rp-8000F that I bought brand new in March 2023. I only use them for music and are connected to an Emotiva XPA-200. I have been noticing since May(ish) that when I play music at high volume, the sound fluctuates. It get louder or lower randomly. This is pretty annoying to me and I am at a loss as to what the issue may be. I contacted Klipsch and they said the Emotiva does not have enough power to handle these speakers. Is this possible? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you very much.
It's on the source/electronics end. Speaker is only going to reproduce what it's given.

munozoga22

Please, forgive my ignorance. It has happened with 2 different amps. Do you think the amps are the issue? Thank you so much!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
when I play music at high volume, the sound fluctuates. It get louder or lower randomly. This is pretty annoying to me and I am at a loss as to what the issue may be. I contacted Klipsch and they said the Emotiva does not have enough power to handle these speakers. Is this possible?
This all sounds like a source/amp issue and not a speaker issue but it would not be the first time I've seen a speaker that is modulating the sound/volume due to a defect/fault so don't take my word as a de facto standard. Can you record the changes in sound so we can hear them?

munozoga22

Thank you for your reply! I just tried to record and the issue is not showing.Classic. Will try again tomorrow. So frustrating. Thank you for your help.

Top Bottom