• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speaker Review

Rockfella

Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well Q Acoustics have a 30 day risk-free trial on their speakers, so you could just return them for a refund right after measuring ;)
As a policy, I don't do that. I get use out of them by measuring and it would not be right to then return them for free.

Members can do that that though if measurements don't match the company advertising.

Johnb

As a policy, I don't do that. I get use out of them by measuring and it would not be right to then return them for free.

Members can do that that though if measurements don't match the company advertising.

Exactly. I have seen so many forum posts like "I ordered 3 camcorders to test, and I will keep one and send back the others..." It makes me wonder what happened to the common morality. Returned items cannot be re-sold as new, or for the new price. It is stealing just as sure as swiping something at the 7-11

gvl

Major Contributor
These returns are expected and factored in the business expenses. Don't feel sorry for Costco. Not that I approve it.

Hiten

Lets not bother about if audition review should be done before or after as focus is primarily on equipment measurements. Also amirm is giving his time, money and effort, Thanks very much for that. I am not buying anything but have learnt a lot.
Respect and kudos to amirm and others. Keep up the good work for the community and all the best in life.

Best Regards

bobbooo

Major Contributor

That's understandable, I hadn't considered that you would actually benefit from them by gaining useful measurements for your database. Who knows though, maybe you would want to keep them ;) They have had pretty much universal acclaim after all - not just on YouTube etc. but 'serious' review publications as well (e.g. here). It would be interesting to see if all that praise is well founded. The 3020 model are $229 a pair on Amazon right now if you wanted to pick them up. Here are Sound and Vision's 'quasi-anechoic' measurements of Q Acoustics' 5.1 system:

717q.meas.jpg

The blue curve is the sub, green center, purple 3010 satellites (cheaper version of the 3020 with a smaller 4-inch woofer, so presumably the 3020 would perform better).

Last edited:

Haint

Exactly. I have seen so many forum posts like "I ordered 3 camcorders to test, and I will keep one and send back the others..." It makes me wonder what happened to the common morality. Returned items cannot be re-sold as new, or for the new price. It is stealing just as sure as swiping something at the 7-11

Good thing the moral bastions of Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Apple et. al have folks like you looking out for non-fraudulent return bandits so they can continue to dodge hundreds of billions in taxes, pay their employees a homeless wage, charge you triple/quadruple digit mark up, and enact schemes/policies designed to screws you over and bleed you dry. Nope, the immoral party here is Joe Plumber, to whom $500 is probably a significant amount of money, buying 2 camcorders with the intent of returning 1.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Good thing the moral bastions of Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Apple et. al have folks like you looking out for non-fraudulent return bandits so they can continue to dodge hundreds of billions in taxes, pay their employees a homeless wage, charge you triple/quadruple digit mark up, and enact schemes/policies designed to screws you over and bleed you dry. Nope, the immoral party here is Joe Plumber, to whom $500 is probably a significant amount of money, buying 2 camcorders with the intent of returning 1.

If a no obligation return policy is stated then it can be used. However your post infers that 'two wrongs make it right'. That is morally wrong.
headbang.gif

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Can't say I agree with this. I trust businesses to know their business. I don't need to try to protect the billion-dollar corp from their own policies. Amazon knows that by making returns straightforward and simple, people will buy from them when they otherwise wouldn't. That's how they get thousands of dollars of business from me each year. Sometimes I buy a couple of computer mice, and return the one I liked less. If I couldn't do that, I would buy from somebody else instead.

In Amir's case it's a bit different because he is purchasing many speakers explicitly for testing. I agree it's unacceptable if you're buying and returning a large number of things. Amazon does too. If you abuse their return policy and return a significant percentage of your total spend, they will warn you and eventually suspend your account.

It's strange to accuse the average consumer of theft for using a company's own policies. Like everything else, if you're reasonable it's not an issue. Not everyone is reasonable.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
> If I swindle the swindler, I'm not a swindler myself!
That's not how logic works. Even if it might be rightful/lawful swindling; just don't go and try to twist words as a a shortcut, you damage your position.

Haint

If a no obligation return policy is stated then it can be used. However your post infers that 'two wrongs make it right'. That is morally wrong. View attachment 51234

If you're going to point out the spec, make sure there's not plank in the eye of the party you're defending. Every Society has a sliding scale for transgressions. Wrongs are not all equal or black and white in the real world. Even if you choose to believe a non-fraudulent return is "wrong" (it's not) I have no issue with reasonable acts of Karma/Comeuppance when they're against corrupt systems. In some cases, 2 wrongs do indeed make a right.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
> If I swindle the swindler, I'm not a swindler myself!
That's not how logic works. Even if it might be rightful/lawful swindling; just don't go and try to twist words as a a shortcut, you damage your position.

Rightful/lawful swindling? Pull the other leg.
dancingsmilies.gif

bobbooo

Major Contributor
If a no obligation return policy is stated then it can be used. However your post infers that 'two wrongs make it right'. That is morally wrong. View attachment 51234

Yep, in this particular case, Q Acoustics specifically describe their policy on their homepage as a "30 Day Risk Free Trial" as well, so they are fully expecting you to return the speakers if you don't like them. I can see now how Amir returning them after using them for measurements wouldn't be quite right though, and is not what their generous policy was intended for.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
As you said, if it's in their policy, it's lawful. And it could be rightful if your intention is, same way that killing a killer isn't necessarily bad, unless you live in Plato's Republic's ridiculous justice.

Lynch mob mentality was 'rightful' by its proponents and perpetrators. Ugh.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Well, if you want to say that "rightful" has no meaning or reality, revel in your moral relativism all you want, I guess.

Lets stay with societal rule of law rather than individual druthers. Not perfect but more considered than personal/emotional irrationality.

Top Bottom