• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speaker Review

Kristian

I have viewed these and other newer Klipsch speakers on Craigslist. (Northern California) Many lately.
And wondered why Klipsch left Arkansas production, and shifted to China. Great review. Thank You. Will stay with my 1985 Fortes....

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They are essentially a cheap rear surround speaker, complete with a keyhole mount to hang on the wall. Once you hit a 4" "bass" driver, all pretensions to high fidelity go out the window.

A keyhole mount -- presumably for hanging the things on a wall -- on a rear-ported enclosure? Seriously? At least those $43/pair Daytons with their keyhole mounting brackets are sealed!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Klipsch is one of the most widely distributed speaker brands in the US. I guess that is why they can get away with just throwing anything together.

laudio

Review the JBL Studio 530's soon I hope. I may be disappointed after that happens - but for my money are very good. These cheap Klipsch speakers are not good but anybody who who knows bookshelf speakers already knows that, so we keep waiting.

I keep waiting - maybe we'll see a cheap car amp reviewed instead to fill the time :)

tuga

Major Contributor
Review the JBL Studio 530's soon I hope. I may be disappointed after that happens - but for my money are very good. These cheap Klipsch speakers are not good but anybody who who knows bookshelf speakers already knows that, so we keep waiting.

I keep waiting - maybe we'll see a cheap car amp reviewed instead to fill the time :)

Have you seen this review?

0EeblvE.png

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/jbl-studio-530-loudspeakers-review-test-467624

stereo01

Why would you be disappointed if the JBL measured poorly if you enjoy the sound?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you be disappointed if the JBL measured poorly if you enjoy the sound?
True, in this case its often better not to look at measurements as often afterwards you perceive (or think to perceive) problems that you didn't notice before.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
A keyhole mount -- presumably for hanging the things on a wall -- on a rear-ported enclosure? Seriously? At least those $43/pair Daytons with their keyhole mounting brackets are sealed!

Hey that's clever engineering. The bassgain from the wall get's countert with automaticly closing the port. ;):facepalm:

tuga

Major Contributor
True, in this case its often better not to look at measurements as often afterwards you perceive (or think to perceive) problems that you didn't notice before.

Measurements are useful to quantify and help one track down possible causes of problems that we think we may have identified during listening assessment.

stereo01

Why would anyone take seriously an evaluation of a speaker that begins with measuring and then the measurements are supposedly confirmed in a listening test?
Either listen and measure or measure and leave it at that.

Someone mentioned in another thread that we should define the 'desired sound curve' by the FRs of the most popular speakers, figuring that sales would show what people most want. I couldn't help thinking that if you went for 'most popular' you'd end up with a Klipsch HTIAB, with these really bright horns.

Except for the vast majority of speakers are not bought after careful auditioning of the alternatives (incl. fast switching between speakers), and none after blind auditioning. People buy what looks cool, what's on special offer, what a friend has, the brand they've always had, for a lot of non-sound-related reasons and then get used to the sound.

The people at Harman have done extensive blind testing of speakers. Their result is that people prefer flat speakers. I trust this over sales figures anytime.

stereo01

Except for the vast majority of speakers are not bought after careful auditioning of the alternatives (incl. fast switching between speakers), and none after blind auditioning. People buy what looks cool, what's on special offer, what a friend has, the brand they've always had, for a lot of non-sound-related reasons and then get used to the sound.

The people at Harman have done extensive blind testing of speakers. Their result is that people prefer flat speakers. I trust this over sales figures anytime.
True enough, it also can be true that a blind test of individuals who have lived with a flat speaker for an extended period of time could prefer a speaker that deviates from the preferred curve when asked to choose.....It's called life.

SmackDaddies

I love the Pioneer SB22, hate almost all Klipsch murder horns.

Having said that....A number of people I know like Klipsch in HT settings. Speaker sound changes on location, use, etc. I would not use them in a 2.0 setting, but in a HT? Possibly

D700

I love the Pioneer SB22, hate almost all Klipsch murder horns.

Having said that....A number of people I know like Klipsch in HT settings. Speaker sound changes on location, use, etc. I would not use them in a 2.0 setting, but in a HT? Possibly
I can't speak to the R-41 but have had the RB-41ii which I used as surrounds and also computer speakers. They were easy to drive, played louder with less amp. I liked their sound, in both applications, especially for the cost. In my experience, with a variety of NHT, Klipsch, KEF speakers I've owned, room characteristics matters more than speakers.

I guess I'm surprised (and pleased) that a pair of speakers that sell for $99 on Black Friday even warrant this level of scrutiny.

I've been contemplating a set of forever speakers like the ATC SCM40s, would love to see objective testing confirming the cost benefit with a big investment but realize that's a much smaller audience to attract with a site like this.

Top Bottom