• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speaker Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Really surprised to see snobby audiophools bash a $100 speaker for not being linear enough for them.
There is no reason even cheap speakers can't have smoother response. The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR is just $118 and sounds and measures better.

You seem to be quite a snob to think only expensive speakers can be good!

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Floyde Toole believed the “correct” thinking was everyone’s taste in speakers was the same I’d wipe my ass with his $54 book and demand a refund.

It's not that much of a stretch. Just that our tastes tend to be more alike than different. Most of us like ice cream and pizza, and most of us don't like eating bread dipped into dirty toilet water. Most us can tell if the colors on a TV are wildly innacurate. If red looks like purple something is off. Same goes for sound.

Fairly linear frequency response and smoothish directivity, that's all Toole really says. Speakers can still sound very different within those parameters.

Darkweb

They are essentially a cheap rear surround speaker, complete with a keyhole mount to hang on the wall. Once you hit a 4" "bass" driver, all pretensions to high fidelity go out the window.
Missed the keyhole mount. That extra 1khz is for extra jump factor in the breaking glass sound effect. Toole simply never tested for this!

LDKTA

Woah... These just happen to be one of the most ghastly and fatiguing loudspeakers I've ever heard to date. All of the Klipsch R(eference) line. They are very difficult to listen to let alone enjoy any sort of content on.

carlosmante

You may have misread the graph. The impedance at 300 Hz is slightly above 3 Ohm. Still, according to the IEC specification method the minimal impedance must be at least 80% of the nominal impedance. In this case, that would be about 3.8 Ohm which may be rounded up to 4 Ohm.

Why it may still be specced at 8 Ohm is written in this article by audioholics.

View attachment 50890

Edit: The spec sheet says nominal impedance is '8 Ohm compatible' rather than 8 Ohm. This seems to indicate that rather than the nominal impedance being 8 Ohm, Klipsch claims the impedance is such that it works with amplifiers specced for 8 Ohm loads.
View attachment 50891
NOMINAL. Look up "nominal" in the dictionary. amirm didn't misread any graph. Once again the keyword is NOMINAL. 80% of 8 ohms is 6.4 ohms not 3.8 ohms.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
La Scalas were originally designed to be PA speakers; every time I hear that someone wants one for home use because it is Klipsch and, therefore, believes that it is high-fidelity & appropriate for a quiet 15 ft by 15 ft room, I cringe.

The fact that they were named after a famous opera venue ought to have provided a clue as to where the design originated.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard Kipsch speakers twice so far and did find them bright and fatiguing

JIW

NOMINAL. Look up "nominal" in the dictionary. amirm didn't misread any graph. Once again the keyword is NOMINAL. 80% of 8 ohms is 6.4 ohms not 3.8 ohms.

You seem to have misread my post. Having another look at it, it can indeed be confusing. I will edit it to clarify what I meant.

Amir wrote on the figure that the impedance falls below 2 Ohm at 300 Hz. That is what I contested. I did not contest that the 8 Ohm spec does not fit the IEC standard.

As I wrote, the minimum is at 3 Ohm. Nominal impedance would then be 1/80%, i.e. 5/4 of 3 Ohm which is the 3.8 Ohm I stated.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Every Klipsch speaker I've ever heard was "shouty." The attitude in their engineering department seems to be "Damn the resonances, full horns ahead!" My experience hearing Klipsch speakers since the first K-Horn I heard in 1968 has led me to think "horns are shouty."

But I've heard some higher-end "JBL Synthesis" systems (S3900, Everest, etc) that used horns and sounded quite smooth. So I am trying to drop my prejudice against horn loading. I still think it's very difficult to achieve smooth response from most horn loaded designs, that it takes a great deal of engineering to get it right.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Every Klipsch speaker I've ever heard was "shouty." The attitude in their engineering department seems to be "Damn the resonances, full horns ahead!" My experience hearing Klipsch speakers since the first K-Horn I heard in 1968 has led me to think "horns are shouty."

But I've heard some higher-end "JBL Synthesis" systems (S3900, Everest, etc) that used horns and sounded quite smooth. So I am trying to drop my prejudice against horn loading. I still think it's very difficult to achieve smooth response from most horn loaded designs, that it takes a great deal of engineering to get it right.
So I was right. I could not bear a pair for more than 10 seconds. It was so shrilly.

carlosmante

You seem to have misread my post. Having another look at it, it can indeed be confusing. I will edit it to clarify what I meant.

Amir wrote on the figure that the impedance falls below 2 Ohm at 300 Hz. That is what I contested. I did not contest that the 8 Ohm spec does not fit the IEC standard.

As I wrote, the minimum is at 3 Ohm. Nominal impedance would then be 1/80%, i.e. 5/4 of 3 Ohm which is the 3.8 Ohm I stated.
In this case "would be" is irrelevant because the reported impedance is so low that amirm said "Response dips dangerously close to a short at 300 Hz or so".

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In this case "would be" is irrelevant because the reported impedance is so low that amirm said "Response dips dangerously close to a short at 300 Hz or so"

Oh, for goodness sake. 3 ohms is nowhere near a short. The graph is clear, the interpretation is not.

gr-e

I'm sorry, your interpretation is a bit wrong. When acoustic centers are aligned, both woofer and tweeter response start at exactly zero, though the woofer slope is much more gradually increasing, reflecting the bandwidth limit. But they do start at time zero, group delay at high frequencies is always zero, in any minimum phase system (speaker drivers -- with or without normal crossovers -- are always minimum phase to at least first order precision).
Sure, I was talking about low pass filters making the woofer slope more gradual. Also, I'm not sure, but higher order filters add some kind of delay to the step response, right?
1582160439935.png
What we see here is a very typical step response of design with a set back tweeter (mounted in the waveguide). The initial falling slope is the higher frequency content of the woofer (neg polarity, the initial direction is the call-sign for this). Then the tweeter kicks in, overlaying the total pressure, with pos. polarity, but it decays quickly so from 1.5ms we see the MF/LF content of the woofer again.
How did you determine that the first dip is the woofer and not a tweeter in opposite polarity? Based on the fact that the tweeter is in a deep waveguide? Now that you mentioned the waveguide, your and @andreasmaaan 's suggestion makes more sense than mine. I was originally thinking of something like this
1582161018223.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you determine that the first dip is the woofer and not a tweeter in opposite polarity?

The tweeter is connected in positive polarity. It's step therefore can't be in the negative direction.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Top Bottom