• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speaker Review

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've said it before, but I think bias happens both ways. I do prefer listening first and measuring second and rarely find discrepancies nowadays. But even then, your listening impressions can affect your interpretation of the measurements.

But yeah, at the end of the day, we're here for the measurements. For almost every speaker tested so far, you can find dozens of written impressions. In that sense, you can say listening impressions after measurements are more valuable, as it might reflect how a data-driven listener might be biased by measurements :).

stereo01

Look at how much good it has done them. :)

As I have repeatedly explained, I perform listening tests after the measurements to get trained on what frequency response anomalies sound like. This is proving hugely valuable.
Great, please let us know when the training is complete. In the meantime I think you should stop trying to save the world from those awful Klipsch speakers.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at how much good it has done them. :)

As I have repeatedly explained, I perform listening tests after the measurements to get trained on what frequency response anomalies sound like. This is proving hugely valuable.

Do you ever go back and listen to the first tested speaker (if you have it still), now when you have tested a bunch?

Milesian

Had my first pair of Klipsch last year. Seduced by Herb and Steve’s reviews I succumbed to the The RP-600M. I gave them a good tryout, but ended up passing them on a couple of months later. I’m not sure if the classic lines live up to the hype, but I was disappointed in this latest ‘reference’ monitor. I’m now listening to a single 5” full range monitor hand built in Ottawa. Couldn’t be happier.

Last edited:

DanGuitarMan

Great, please let us know when the training is complete. In the meantime I think you should stop trying to save the world from those awful Klipsch speakers.
Dude, what? Who is trying to save anything? He's providing detailed measurements free of charge, and then throwing in a listening opinion which is labeled as INFORMAL. If you want some kind of double-blind comparison, go ahead and do one yourself.

stereo01

Dude, what? Who is trying to save anything? He's providing detailed measurements free of charge, and then throwing in a listening opinion which is labeled as INFORMAL. If you want some kind of double-blind comparison, go ahead and do one yourself.
Speaker Listening Tests
Even though this is not a near-field monitor, I tested it that way. So shoot me! :)

On my right I had the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and on the left the Klipsch R-41M. With levels matched and playing one channel at a time, the R-41M had no bass. It was all mid to highs. And boy, are those some highs. If you have not shaved, they are sharp enough to do that for you. I can see without a reference an inexperienced listener would instantly like them as "more clear, more detail, better imaging, etc." Switch to Pioneer though and you hear such a balance in tonality. Bass is there and overall sound is warm and pleasant. Not so with R-41M

Folks, I suffer with bad sound so you don't have to. Please avoid the Klipsch R-41M unless you just want a speaker as an ornament.

DanGuitarMan

Speaker Listening Tests
Even though this is not a near-field monitor, I tested it that way. So shoot me! :)

On my right I had the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and on the left the Klipsch R-41M. With levels matched and playing one channel at a time, the R-41M had no bass. It was all mid to highs. And boy, are those some highs. If you have not shaved, they are sharp enough to do that for you. I can see without a reference an inexperienced listener would instantly like them as "more clear, more detail, better imaging, etc." Switch to Pioneer though and you hear such a balance in tonality. Bass is there and overall sound is warm and pleasant. Not so with R-41M

Folks, I suffer with bad sound so you don't have to. Please avoid the Klipsch R-41M unless you just want a speaker as an ornament.

The point is if you want a double-blind test, do it yourself.

tuga

Major Contributor
No complaint from me Amir, I'm just happy to see the measurememts :)

Having said that - and I say this only because you bring it up - have you considered that trying to hear anomalies in the absence of bias and then testing your observations against objective data might be more valuable (to you personally I mean)?

Can anyone hear anomalies listening to (pink noise? over) a single speaker in mono?

Last edited:

stereo01

The point is if you want a double-blind test, do it yourself.
No, actually the point is to stay in your lane. If you believe measurements tell the whole story than there is no need to add Harry Pearson like comments. By the way, Andrew Jones who designed the Pioneer SP-BS22 once believed that measurements told the whole story.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
However you have no chance to prevent bias you received during your measurements. This is unavoidable, though you probably would not admit the fact.
He MAY not be able to prevent bias while listening not really while measuring I guess. Again both are very unlikely.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
By the way, Andrew Jones who designed the Pioneer SP-BS22 once believed that measurements told the whole story.

He probably still does and just changed the tune for marketing purposes.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However you have no chance to prevent bias you received during your measurements. This is unavoidable, though you probably would not admit the fact.
Watch your language. Don't need your insults.

You have not worked in the industry so you don't know how things work. Blind tests are difficult, expensive and time consuming. For this reason, vast majority of testing is done sighted, usually with trained listeners. Their opinion is considered reliable enough to make quick progress during development. Then as a sanity check, blind tests are performed. In the case of Harman for example, that is the gating item before a speaker is released.

I plan to perform listening tests just as well with a larger group than me. Until then, I don't need lectures from people who haven't lifted a finger to help with speaker testing.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, actually the point is to stay in your lane. If you believe measurements tell the whole story than there is no need to add Harry Pearson like comments. By the way, Andrew Jones who designed the Pioneer SP-BS22 once believed that measurements told the whole story.
Measurements tell the whole story about relative objective performance according to the Spinorama CEA 2034-A-2015 (ANSI) standard, which is what we're after.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Watch your language. The next insult will get you a week ban.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've said it before, but I think bias happens both ways. I do prefer listening first and measuring second and rarely find discrepancies nowadays. But even then, your listening impressions can affect your interpretation of the measurements.

But yeah, at the end of the day, we're here for the measurements. For almost every speaker tested so far, you can find dozens of written impressions. In that sense, you can say listening impressions after measurements are more valuable, as it might reflect how a data-driven listener might be biased by measurements :).
I also nowadays listen first to a loudspeaker for some days to be not biased by measurements, then do the measurements, then listen again to see if I notice stuff I didn't bother before and finally listen with EQ done from the measurements, but this takes many days and is not what most of us are here for but detailed measurements, so I don't think anything should change, I personally would even leave the 2 lines of the quick sound check out, but they don't bother me either.

wwenze

Major Contributor
There are already many reviews by others that listen to the speakers before the measurements...

Most of them don't do the measurements anyway but I don't see how that is a problem if the subjective review is not to be affected by the measurments.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sounds like you bought and enjoy these Klipsch speakers. Nothing wrong with that man. Why you gotta be so upset?

Personally I enjoy reading Amir's listening impressions. I too would prefer that he did the listening test prior to measurements but the man has got his reasons. He pegs them against a known beast though (a reference you might say) so I think there is still value to them.

Mrs. A's impressions OTOH though... I'd go next level membership for those. =)

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Received these as a 2018 Christmas gift- they do indeed sound far from reference...
Saving up for a JBL 308P MkII given Amir's rave review of its smaller sibling and my fondness for old Altec Lansing speakers.

Top Bottom