• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klippel distortion tests (two-tone 70hz 800hz tests). Where do you fit, as compared to +8680 participants?

Results

• Total voters

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
My recent thread showed that we have members with a range of hearing sensitivity. Many can easily hear a difference, but some could not.

I am now curious about ASR members hearing sensitivity as compared to larger pool of participants (over 8680 participants for this particular test).

I note that after I got some practice with first run, I did much better in second run. I went from -45 first try to -60 second try. Also, it looks like my sensitivity reduced after running a certain numbers of tests, thus fatigue set in fast for me.

Try it if you have free time. Thanks!

My chain is Topping E30, L30, AKG 371.
I selected Full Range Speaker for the two-tone 70hz 800hz test.
Link is https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/

Here are my results:

First time try:
klippel_distortion_test_full_range_speaker_two-tone_70 Hz_800Hz_top_of_result_page.PNG

klippel_distortion_test_full_range_speaker_two-tone_70 Hz_800Hz_bottom_of_result_page.PNG

Second time:
klippel_distortion_test_full_range_speaker_two-tone_70 Hz_800Hz_top_of_result_page_second_run.PNG

klippel_distortion_test_full_range_speaker_two-tone_70 Hz_800Hz_bottom_of_result_page_second_try.PNG

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Probably not.

Yes first try.
The recording used is total crap though not representative of the normal song.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Probably not.

Yes first try.
The recording used is total crap though not representative of the normal song.
I am glad you agree that the recording is crap. I had the same thought the first time I tried that a while back.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The first bit is always distorted you can only evaluate using the last bit.
When my speaker would sound like this I'd be worried the tweeter was gone and my amp would be clipping. :D

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
When my speaker would sound like this I'd be worried the tweeter was gone and my amp would be clipping. :D
Thanks for the tip!

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes, I am particularly interested in the two tones. Not that many there.....

Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With tones, headphones, first run. Guessing on this rig after 36. On any other runs I might try different headphones, volumes etc but I would guess I couldn't get 40+ on this set up ever (RME DAC- Focal Clear)
1635539272677.png
s

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
With tones, headphones, first run. Guessing on this rig after 36. On any other runs I might try different headphones, volumes etc but I would guess I couldn't get 40+ on this set up ever (RME DAC- Focal Clear)View attachment 162051s
Thanks for checking!

You are still better than mean on your first try.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting test!

Ok, here's my results, running Sony MDR-7506 headphones straight from my thinkpad laptop. Will try more runs later with music. It's possible that I would get a lower threshold if I used headphones with lower distortion, as these headphones have quite a bit of distortion according to Amir's testing (which doesn't bother me at all with music). But nah, I actually think it's more about not knowing what to listen for, or that I'm just not that sensitive to distortion.

Attachments

• klippel-.PNG
    klippel-.PNG
    58.4 KB · Views: 115
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Interesting test!

Ok, here's my results, running Sony MDR-7506 headphones straight from my thinkpad laptop. Will try more runs later with music. It's possible that I would get a lower threshold if I used headphones with lower distortion, as these headphones have quite a bit of distortion according to Amir's testing (which doesn't bother me at all with music). But nah, I actually think it's more about not knowing what to listen for, or that I'm just not that sensitive to distortion.
Thank you for trying! Another member with above the mean result on first try.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for trying! Another member with above the mean result on first try.
I love testing :) I also prefer the A/B-format to the more common ABX format, as I find ABX mentally fatiguing.

Here's a second try, this time with music. I did comparatively better with music, it seems, but with the lower levels felt awfully close to guessing, just based on my intuition and hunches. I assume one can learn what to listen for here.

Attachments

• chapman.PNG
    chapman.PNG
    57.4 KB · Views: 101

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dude, impressive test result you got there! Thanks for the tip, I will retry tomorrow. Right now I only used the first part which is indeed very distorted already.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Your result indeed is impressive. I didn't want to try music because the music is bad as you said. But, I still am curious and can't stopped myself from trying. : )

On forth tries, I started to get better hang of it, but still can't get as good as you. This make me really want to try HD800.

Chain is still Topping E30, Topping L30, and AKG 371.

klippel_distortion_test_full_range_speaker_Music_T_chapman_top_of_result_page_4th_run.PNG

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I love testing :) I also prefer the A/B-format to the more common ABX format, as I find ABX mentally fatiguing.

Here's a second try, this time with music. I did comparatively better with music, it seems, but with the lower levels felt awfully close to guessing, just based on my intuition and hunches. I assume one can learn what to listen for here.
You are doing better than mean on first try! Good job. I tried 3 times with music and only got mean or slightly better results. Then, on forth tries I started to get a hang of what to listen for and got better. So yes, I think you can learn to do better.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
Super interesting test! I previously followed some similar work my archimago on distortion.
Wondering if those >- 100db SINAD dacs make any difference at all after this....

This is my first try on the test using my smartphone (Oneplus 6) and a pair of Xiaomi HD audio IEMs (~25 euro)

It's 3am here and I had some drinks already. But I think the darkness helps to focus

Used the Tracy Chapman song which is very familiar to me

Apologies for the choppy screenshots, can't resize figures on the phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211030-024307.jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-024307.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20211030-024716.jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-024716.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Super interesting test! I previously followed some similar work my archimago on distortion.
Wondering if those - 100db SINAD dacs make any difference at all after this....

This is my first try on the test using my smartphone (Oneplus 6) and a pair of Xiaomi HD audio IEMs (~25 euro)

It's 3am here and I had some drinks already. But I think the darkness helps to focus

Used the Tracy Chapman song which is very familiar to me

Apologies for the choppy screenshots, can't resize figures on the phone.
Excellent! Maybe I will get a pair of the Xiaomi to try!

Thanks!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hmm, I got best score using a low cost Taotronic headphones (2019 version), headphones jack out from my Note 9 phone. Using Note 9 Adapt sound setting to eq the headphones to my hearing capabilities. Using same phone and adapt sound with akg 371, I can't get near this results after several tries. I wonder why???

Ssmsung Note 9 headphones out to Taotronics headphones, first time try!

Screenshot_20211029-224304_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211029-225541_Samsung Internet.jpg

Top Bottom