• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KimberKable spades or Bananas & SpeakOns

Martini

Forum Donor
I'm going to need to either alter a set of speaker cables or make a new set for some new speakers that I have on order. I'm using Canare 4s11 cable with SpeakOns for amp end, but not sure if I should go with locking banana plugs or KimberKable Postmaster spades for the speaker end. The Postmasters look interesting in the way they maintain contact pressure and they are fairly inexpensive. However, I'm uncertain about the lifespan of the compression material used in these. I know I don't like the straight-in style of Bananas, so would need to go with the angled style, so a few more bucks there. For the SpeakOns, I'm debating on whether to use the standard screw-clamp on NL2FX or the solder on NLT4FXX, any thoughts on these? I wish the speaker came with SpeakOn connectors, I do like them. If they weren't brand new, I would consider installing them.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I built a cable with 4S11 and Speakon recently. I kind of broke the screw clamps, they were much too weak to hold the cable strands in place. I didn't know they were soldering options available. Would probably choose them the next time. Maybe I pulled to hard but I wanted to make sure the cable is secure, and yeah...it wasn't. More force didn't really help as the clamps are very thin.

As for bananas...I used WBT-0610.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
I've used the solder on ones before and the solder cups are nice, but 11ga wire wicks heat like mad. I was currious if screw clamps would hold well on large gauge wire, which would make the job quicker but, it sounds like it may not.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd choose speakon as long as the speaker can handle it, use them on diy builds and I've generally purchased 4 pole just for possibilities, but 2 pole would work in most of mine. I've not found any particular need for a locking banana plug. I wouldn't shop at Kimber at all but then never particularly cared for spades either.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I built a cable with 4S11 and Speakon recently. I kind of broke the screw clamps, they were much too weak to hold the cable strands in place. I didn't know they were soldering options available. Would probably choose them the next time. Maybe I pulled to hard but I wanted to make sure the cable is secure, and yeah...it wasn't. More force didn't really help as the clamps are very thin

How is that possible? Did you break the strain relief too?

Did you use the right screwdriver tip (PZ1)?

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have never liked spades in terms of ease or use or practicality. Some nice nanners or Speakons have always made me happy.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The postmasters are nice. As are the wbt offerings. These split fork designs seem to hold much better than solid spades.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
I wouldn't go with bananas if the cable has some weight to it. Even with high quality connectors, they will bend over time. I don't think you can go wrong with spades or Speakons if they are terminated properly.

jokan

Speakons are used by folks who move and transport their gear from gig to gig. They are a professional grade connection designed to be more difficult to disconnect on accident. I would use speakon connections if possible. There are "heat clips" glorified aluminium alligator clips that make soldering heavier, thicker cable easier, and far less likely to cause any burns. A high quality, temperature controllable soldering iron is a must have with thicker wire and you'll probably still have a bit of a struggle. Banana plugs vary in both quality and material so much that it's difficult to recommend in your application imo. The locking mechanism of "locking banana plugs" is the weakest point of the locking mechanism. Ironic, I know. The spreading type of locking with a simple centre screw (split fork) will eventually become loose. I've used both Furutech, and WBT of similar designs with the same result.

I've used these before:
https://www.hollandlink.nl/en/produ...cking-banana-plug-silver-gold-rhodium-set-4x/
They locked down better and seemed to stay locked on better than the WBT, or Furutech which is basically the same design.
I'm sure you can find the sharkwire sdb for less if you do a better search. I searched via a store based in japan since I know they inventory these plugs.

Just my experience.

Last edited:

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
+1 for speakON connectors. It's by far the best speaker connector out there. For the speaker end, I'd go with bare wire or bananas. I hate spades with unbridled passion. Spades always rattle loose (assuming you can actually get decent clamping pressure on them to start with).

I built a cable with 4S11 and Speakon recently. I kind of broke the screw clamps, [...]
I wonder if you over-torqued the clamps. According to the assembly instructions, the max torque is 0.8 Nm, which is actually not a whole lot. Also note that you're supposed to use a POZIDRIV #1 (PZ1) screwdriver. The PZ1 looks a lot like a Philips #1 (PH1) but has a couple extra ribs. You can see the difference in the assembly instructions.

Tom

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Yeah that would explain everything. I tought the clamps should hold the cables securely and I tightened them pretty extreme.

e: I'll order new connector and redo them...

Last edited:
Top Bottom