• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KIMBER KABLE: Do High-end USB Cables Make A Difference?

Hiilari

I think everyone knows people that have these big gold plated monster cables at their TVs, and audioquest coffee or (oh no!) even higher up the ridiculous product range, in their houses. I guess these people don't bother to look up if expensive cables do anything / are worth it.

A friend of mine paid roughly $5k for a pair of second hand speaker cables. I thought he was crazy, and very much told him so. Then again, he could afford this, and he just felt great about them. He placed them so everyone could see them (small wooden blocks underneath so it doesn't touch the floor - ruins the sound, you see). So he was a happy owner of ridiculous speaker cables as thich as a wrist. He knew he didn't actually need them but he enjoyed them anyway because they were such Nice Luxury Things.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Amir, I appreciate your efforts in substantially cooling off cable hype. I once fell into the hyped trap and kept on buying expensive Audiquest RCA and speaker cables. Now knowing better I regret all the stupidity and money that went that way. I bought Diamond B&W speakers from Dynamic Audio, Akihabara, Tokyo in package that includes Audiquest cables. I was so much indoctrinated by cable hype BS that I started to negotiate getting eve better Audioquest cables to be included in the package. They agreed and sold the package without increasing the price. The name of the cable is "Gibraltar" and have attached battery charged devices that induce some sort of current to keep them "burned in". My knowledge in this field is limited and dont know, yet I cared less as long as the cable itself is good. Those currently sell for USD 1,400. Crazy! Well, those funny blue thick cables were included in the package and I did not buy them separately. Then I carried on and bought expensive kimber cables for my surrounds and 5 signal cables Audioquest King Cobra, also crazily expensive. I feel like a fool now and get really depressed when I remember about this era of craze and how much I wasted money, down the drain. Sorry to say this, I puke when I hear about Audioquest and are utterly disgusted about how they are marketing USB cables. I am currently using a short well shielded USB cable between my computer and DAC that costs around $15 with no issues whatsoever. In case of ground loops I guess that those may be eliminated by a cheap inductive filter that physically separate the copper cords the same way as I use to quickly fix ground loops in single ended connections meanwhile I investigate about how to properly eliminate them. If and how inductive transformers may distort the signal itself, I dont know, I am such a novice in analogue science and technology. Thank you for all the excellent knowledge you provide us who love sound but risk getting fooled by greedy ruthless sharks.
Thanks for sharing your story. I think the most important takeaway is that its not even about saving money, you can still spend that money on your setup...but in the places that matter. $1400 buys you a nice subwoofer (can't have enough of those) or some good acoustic treatment for your room.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine paid roughly $5k for a pair of second hand speaker cables. I thought he was crazy, and very much told him so. Then again, he could afford this, and he just felt great about them. He placed them so everyone could see them (small wooden blocks underneath so it doesn't touch the floor - ruins the sound, you see). So he was a happy owner of ridiculous speaker cables as thich as a wrist. He knew he didn't actually need them but he enjoyed them anyway because they were such Nice Luxury Things.
Ha, fantastic!

Jetvart

I will be interested if you can compare USB 2 to USB 3 and USB C, but no offence, what is the point of reviewing USB 2 cables in 2020? I understand you still can connect your DAC since high-end audio is always so behind, that they are concern more with compatibility with USB 1, but currently you can't buy big external drive with USB 2. I'm using USB 3, or 3.1 for at least 6 years.

About 10 years ago, I connected my external drive to my comp. and played one song using five different USB 2 cables I had on hand. I wanted to confirm that the $60 Monster cable I just both sound better. Unfortunately it was mediocre with wailed unfocused sound. Best was cable from the Mad Dog external drive and worst other cable from some device. But believe your own ears. Anybody got few cables. Just plug one in, play a song, plug in different cable, go back to the first one and see for your self.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I will be interested if you can compare USB 2 to USB 3 and USB C, but no offence, what is the point of reviewing USB 2 cables in 2020? I understand you still can connect your DAC since high-end audio is always so behind, that they are concern more with compatibility with USB 1, but currently you can't buy big external drive with USB 2. I'm using USB 3, or 3.1 for at least 6 years.

About 10 years ago, I connected my external drive to my comp. and played one song using five different USB 2 cables I had on hand. I wanted to confirm that the $60 Monster cable I just both sound better. Unfortunately it was mediocre with wailed unfocused sound. Best was cable from the Mad Dog external drive and worst other cable from some device. But believe your own ears. Anybody got few cables. Just plug one in, play a song, plug in different cable, go back to the first one and see for your self.
10 years ago was a different time. With Async USB systems today and better overall electronics; cables basically make no difference anymore.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
10 years ago was a different time. With Async USB systems today and better overall electronics; cables basically make no difference anymore.

They didn't ten years ago, either.

mansr

Major Contributor
Are there any DACs with USB 3? There are a few audio interfaces (e.g. Focusrite) with USB Type C connectors, but they seem to use only USB 2.0 regardless. At least the maximum I/O bandwidth is below USB 2.0 limits.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I use really Hi-End cable in all my systems: Gotham and Sommer cables, yes, they are Hi-End and already on my up-limitation of budget.
For analog I use these two brands primarily. For USB the USB cables that come with the external hard drives work fine. All are 3.0 now.
Purchased my first and only audio brand data cable years ago. Audioquest FireWire cable. Also a bottom tier.
Cut it open to see what was inside. Did not met the specs for construction. No braided shield. A few parallel copper strands for shielding.
Only worse construction I saw was a LaCie cable. No twisted pairs. Or braided shield. This was not a gimme cable either. The FW cables they included with hard drives looked to be made to spec. Just too short to use with an interface.

zepplock

USB 3 is not better than USB 2 for audio, while USB 3 is faster at data transfers, it's has lower range, according to spec. So don't consider newer things are always better.

strummr

If there will be more testing of 'high-end,' 'audiophile' branded cables... maybe a set type/brand for the generic for would be ideal for some consistency. (e.g., Amazon Basic, Monoprice... etc. - as there are even more varieties of what we may consider to be 'generic') I know in the recent test by Amir, he used a free cable vs the Audioquest ($2k+) interconnect - the free interconnect was a Hitachi?

dgnzcn

Now is there a difference in sound quality between expensive usb cable and cheap usb cable?

D4nte85

Now is there a difference in sound quality between expensive usb cable and cheap usb cable?
no /depends on how bad your dac is

(i say this while using a cinnamon cable from audioquest ;) wich is 70€ i think?)
there is NO difference to a bogstandart printer usbcable (ok well it looks better)

THE most important thing with cables in generell is to use the exact cable the aplication requires, and ideally power-conducting ones as short as possible
usb requires a usb cable end of story

Last edited:

dgnzcn

no /depends on how bad your dac is

(i say this while using a cinnamon cable from audioquest ;) wich is 70€ i think?)
there is NO difference to a bogstandart printer usbcable (ok well it looks better)

THE most important thing with cables in generell is to use the exact cable the aplication requires, and ideally power-conducting ones as short as possible
usb requires a usb cable end of story
I will use with Topping E30 DAC

nugget

Forum Donor
USB 3 is not better than USB 2 for audio, while USB 3 is faster at data transfers, it's has lower range, according to spec. So don't consider newer things are always better.

Why would this matter at all unless you wanted to put your DAC five meters away from your PC?

zepplock

Why would this matter at all unless you wanted to put your DAC five meters away from your PC?

This is the answer to a question/request "if you can compare USB 2 to USB 3 and USB C"... Not sure if I understand your question.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Distortion products are even better at whopping -130 dB. If you can hear them, you can likely tell when I flush the toilet at our house no matter where you live."

I spat out bits of my morning coffee when I read this. Hilarious! :D

Top Bottom