• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

killing the analog PreAmp

GianDi

I would dislodge preamp from my system, but I would like to keep the analog inputs for vinyl, and try some equipment on the fly.
There are some DACs with decent volume controls and analog inputs. I read about Benchmark DAC3 HGC, NUprime Alita, PSAudio stellar gain dac.
how many others are on the list to compare?
System will be: new dac-pre -> Nad C372 (or better mokoblocks) -> Mg 1.7, and other analog stuff

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I say bring back the preamplifier! Long live the analog preamplifier.

I would argue that with all these low input impedance and low sensitivity power amps on the market, there is more need than ever for a robust line stage with low THD and the ability to swing a lot of voltage.

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So John, what should be avoided in terms of a DAC with digital volume control being connected directly to a power amp? Is it high DAC output impedance (100ohm ish) to low input impedance amps? (10k ohm)?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So John, what should be avoided in terms of a DAC with digital volume control being connected directly to a power amp? Is it high DAC output impedance (100ohm ish) to low input impedance amps? (10k ohm)?

Accidents. In my experience, you cannot trust a digital volume control not to forget its setting after being unplugged/turned off for a while and or default to factory (high level) output etc.

Also, with people clamouring for AHB-2s and Hypex amplifiers needing serious drive voltage, DACs are at a disadvantage voltage swing wise in many cases.

A 'real' preamp can swing 10VRMS pretty much without a sweat and some go considerably above that.

The OP also wanted some legacy (I hate that term) additional inputs. :)

but I would like to keep the analog inputs for vinyl, and try some equipment on the fly.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the ADI 2 has the requisite drive capacity to run power amps directly and some models have analog inputs , can you play straight trough them or are they for capturing only as the ADI 2 can be used in recordings .

The benchmarks are also basically made to work without preamp .

You just need to know your poweramps sensitivity to make judgments of the usability of the source to drive the power amp directly.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I say bring back the preamplifier! Long live the analog preamplifier.

I would argue that with all these low input impedance and low sensitivity power amps on the market, there is more need than ever for a robust line stage with low THD and the ability to swing a lot of voltage.

Bonjour @restorer-john

You just convinced me to get the Pre90 to match my D90 (100/200 ohms) with my 0,775V sensitive amp ?

OP
GianDi

GianDi

@restorer-john C372 final stage has 29 dB voltage gain. I think any level-in voltage up to clipping will be good.
@pjug i'll take a look @ pro-ject, seems what I was looking for, it's also in line with my poor-man audiophile system
do you know any other pre-dac over there?
thanks!!!!!

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you aren't replacing the C372, why don't you want to keep using its preamp and just add an inexpensive DAC?

OP
GianDi

GianDi

i'm going to replace C372 late in summer, I'm restoring a friend's NC1200 monoblocks.

Top Bottom