• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Killing room vibrations

Keith_W

Major Contributor
My new Rythmik subwoofers have arrived. I have four 12" drivers, built into two boxes in a dual opposed (force cancelling) design.

This is my problem: with the subs in place, there are numerous rattles around the house. At the moment, I am trying to work through the vibrations by playing a test tone and going around the room pressing on objects to see if I can stop them rattling.

So far, I have identified a few culprits.

- The doors are vibrating in their jambs. I will go to the hardware store and buy some foam tape. Hopefully this will stop this.

- The windows are vibrating. I am not so sure how to cure this. I will tape up the jambs, but how do I stop the glass panels from vibrating? Should I mass load them? If so, how?

- The rear sliding door is vibrating. This one, I can not tape with foam because it will stop the door from moving. How do I fix this?

- The picture frames are vibrating. I have solved this temporarily by putting washing sponges between the wall and and the frame.

Any help would be appreciated.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What SPL are you shooting for?

fas42

Major Contributor
Keith, not foam tape, but the stuff with fibres on it, fibre tape??, used on standard sliding aluminium doors. Cushions vibration, but still allows movement.

Window glass could be tricky, try leaning something with a bit of mass against the glass at various points, with some of that viscoelastic, "memory foam", kitchen shelf lining stuff between the object and the glass - see what that tells you.

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Thanks for the replies, guys.

RayDunzl - I want a max of 90dB at the listening position. Given I am 4m away from the subs, the subs would make 102dB. This means that the window behind the sub (1m away) would hear 99dB. And the sliding doors behind me would hear 87dB.

fas42 I have never heard of fibre tape, would you happen to have a link to the product you have in mind? I will ask for it in the hardware shop, but i'm not sure if they can help me if I don't know what I am asking for :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If the window glass is rattling in the frame - get some window glaze and force it into the edges with a putty knife.

RayDunzl - I want a max of 90dB at the listening position. Given I am 4m away from the subs, the subs would make 102dB.

Sound levels don't fall off that abruptly in a room, from what I see.

And 90dB - that's not extreme, so, surprised you have so many rattles. I'll have to check again here.

fas42

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Blue tac can help, I had this just from my speakers.. I no longer have a door in my lounge:D I had to fill my boiler that's in the nearby kitchen with blue tac as it rattles audibly.

The worse thing was the metal bars than come down the inside of the house from the roof struts, they resonated really bad so I cut out the plasterboard and applied a liberal amount of expanding foam adisive behind and all round the offending bars. This did the trick..

You can get acoustic Windows :eek:

Good luck, I know how annoying this can be.. I even had to cover my radiators with acoustic panels because I got a nasty reflection off them but I'm certified bonkers it has to be said :D

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the window glass is rattling in the frame, you are losing heat (or cooled A/C air) - get some high efficiency windows, 2 paned or even 3

dasdoing

Major Contributor
If the window glass is rattling in the frame, you are losing heat (or cooled A/C air) - get some high efficiency windows, 2 paned or even 3

I live in northeast of Brazil. no need to trap heat ever and I have no A/C either (hate them)

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An idea - no clue that it could work.

Would it be possible, once the relevant frequencies have been identified, to equalise the issue away?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
does this realy solve the issue?
I have rattling in some frequencies

It is easy enough to try and see.

It solved my rattles in another house.

Just force some into whatever openings allow the window to rattle

You probably won't be using that much product, just find where the window moves and force a little into the void.

puppet

Re: windows ... is this and older house with sash and weights?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
An idea - no clue that it could work.

Would it be possible, once the relevant frequencies have been identified, to equalise the issue away?

It starts around 56Hz and goes to around 74, with peaks at 61Hz and 69Hz....and that is by ear.
if it was one frequency only that could be an option

It is easy enough to try and see.

It solved my rattles in another house.

Just force some into whatever openings allow the window to rattle

You probably won't be using that much product, just find where the window moves and force a little into the void.

that's a very nice video explanation. thanks.
I wonder if a simple silicone gel would do it

Re: windows ... is this and older house with sash and weights?

no. but even modern windows here are very simple, since there is no need to keep heat inside and such

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Freeway

I wonder if a simple silicone gel would do it.

Beware, a lot of silicone products can not be painted.

[/QUOTE]

For best application of traditional window putty it should be kneaded in your hand. Just a little ball at a time. There is an art to it. My brother-in-law, a glazer, has tried to teach me but I am not good at it so I use this -
https://www.dap.com/products-projects/products-by-project/window-door-siding/

Oops, just watched video. He worked it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom