• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii THREE versus KII THREE/BXT

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Adequate!

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Actually they are more than adequate, really superb.

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Actually you can, there is an option in the Kii Control menu which I discovered this morning!
I will experiment .
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Spent the afternoon listening to the Kii/BXTs with an engineer friend who usually runs 150 ATCs.
They really are superb loudspeakers, there is nowhere else to go after these.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Listening today with a friend, and it is a terrible old chestnut, but the Kii/BXT really do make you want to listen to all your favourite songs just to see what they sound like.
Really incredible.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Listening today with a friend, and it is a terrible old chestnut, but the Kii/BXT really do make you want to listen to all your favourite songs just to see what they sound like.
Really incredible.
Keith
Are you doing the whole spice girls back catalogue or just the best of album?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I’ll tell you what I want, what I really want !
Keiht

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I actually like the look of them. How is the 3 secured to the unit below?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Interlocking nylon top/bottom plates, you have to screw the nylon base plate to the usual Kii three base.
The same nylon plates on the base of the BXT and base.
Keith.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have added a KIi THREE/ BXT page and will add some photographs of my actual units, some thoughts and measurements in due course.

https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/

The BXT units can be turned off via the Kii ‘control’ so comparison is straightforward.

I can say that they produce the finest sound I have ever heard here, eclipsing far,far more expensive loudspeakers/systems.
Keith

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I actually like the look of them. How is the 3 secured to the unit below?

The look of the KiiBXT takes inspiration from for example the Barefoot Masterstack12, another DSP-based monitor system (they call it a 4 1/2-way system).

The Masterstack is even more expensive (50k USD), but it’s more powerful too (180 litres enclosure volume vs 100 litres for the KiiBXT).

Who wins the beauty contest?

;)

https://barefootsound.com/masterstack12/
mm12_title.jpg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We have sold regular Kiis to Barefoot owners but I haven’t heard the ‘master stack’ is it cardioid down to 20Hz?
Keith

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
We have sold regular Kiis to Barefoot owners but I haven’t heard the ‘master stack’ is it cardioid down to 20Hz?
Keith

The Masterstack12 isn’t cardioid, and you knew this already.

Finnish speaker maker Gradient pioneered cardioid radiation decades ago. German Geithain is another well-known name with cardioid design. What strikes me, is how Kii and Dutch&Dutch have been able to draw attention again to this old design idea without talking about the heritage and legacy. What doesn’t surprise me, though, is how you talk about cardioid as if it were invented by Kii and DD.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have tried both Geithain and have a pair of Gradients 1.4s, I prefer the Gradients the Geithains sounded quite congested through the midrange in comparison.
The 1.4s are some of the best passive speakers I have heard.
Of course it isn’t just the cardioid response that makes the Kiis/8Cs so good!
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@svart-hvitt what does the module on the bottom do? It has power and XLR connectors but no other obvious components. And there are already XLR and power connectors on the upper two modules..

Cosmik

Major Contributor
When do we see measurements?
What do you hope to see from the measurements?

Presumably the manufacturer hasn't done anything stupid like getting the timing of adjacent drive units wrong, or one driver with completely the wrong level, a tweeter that stops working at 10kHz, etc.

Unless you do a Spin-o-Rama (TM) test in three dimensions you can't establish whether the cardioid/line array stuff does what it's supposed to - but then you go back to the first point: presumably the manufacturers haven't done anything stupid, and the system works as they intend, within the laws of physics.

So really, any 'measurements' we can make are going to be very, very boring, merely confirming that the speakers basically work - which I would never doubt. Beyond that, no one has the equipment, time or skills to truly check that the manufacturer hasn't got their business wrong. And to do so would imply that 'we' know more about this business than the people who designed the speaker! :)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
@svart-hvitt what does the module on the bottom do? It has power and XLR connectors but no other obvious components. And there are already XLR and power connectors on the upper two modules..

From the web site:

«A third enclosure houses signal and power distribution and may be optionally used as a decoupling base unit for each tower».

That’s all I know...

Top Bottom