• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii THREE versus KII THREE/BXT

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Distortion has to be audible to be an issue.
Keith

ferrellms

What about the lack of floor bounce? Is that clearly audible?
This is years old, but in case there is any interest -

I have kii 3s and have experimented with removing floor bounce by putting 4 inch deep acoustic absorbers on the floor between the speakers and the listening spot. I was surprised that the sound clearly improved - more clarity in the midrange but mostly better-defined spatial qualities revealed in recordings. Only problem is watching out for tripping over those big things on the floor. But they are light and easily moved out of the way. Undoubtedly, the BXTs do a lot more, but for a lot more money:)

songOVERsound

This is years old, but in case there is any interest -

I have kii 3s and have experimented with removing floor bounce by putting 4 inch deep acoustic absorbers on the floor between the speakers and the listening spot. I was surprised that the sound clearly improved - more clarity in the midrange but mostly better-defined spatial qualities revealed in recordings. Only problem is watching out for tripping over those big things on the floor. But they are light and easily moved out of the way. Undoubtedly, the BXTs do a lot more, but for a lot more money:)
4 inches of velocity/porous absorption won’t touch anything below 250 hz.

Do you think floor bounce issues above 250 hz?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4 inches of velocity/porous absorption won’t touch anything below 250 hz.

Do you think floor bounce issues above 250 hz?
Not true. Here's a comparison of one Kii Three speaker where I used a 4 inch absorber on the first reflection on the floor vs on the sidewall just to get a sense of where to focus my panels.

RED is floor absorption, GREEN is sidewall.

kii first reflection floor vs sidewall.jpg
kii floor vs sidewall absorption.jpg

songOVERsound

Not true. Here's a comparison of one Kii Three speaker where I used a 4 inch absorber on the first reflection on the floor vs on the sidewall just to get a sense of where to focus my panels.

RED is floor absorption, GREEN is sidewall.

View attachment 346229View attachment 346230
I see. More difference than I would have thought. I’m curious to see what the difference is from having absorbers on the floor vs no absorbers at all (or just remove the floor absorbers and leave the rest of your room the same vs moving the absorbers on the floor to the side walls)

This would eliminate more variables. The side wall panels could be destructive where the floor panels could be opposite

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. More difference than I would have thought. I’m curious to see what the difference is from having absorbers on the floor vs no absorbers at all (or just remove the floor absorbers and leave the rest of your room the same vs moving the absorbers on the floor to the side walls)

This would eliminate more variables. The side wall panels could be destructive where the floor panels could be opposite
I have so many measurements that are unmarked so it's a major pain to sort through them to find the relevant ones.
These were all made years ago when I had the Kiis, so I'm afraid I can't take new ones. If I come across before and after floor absorption only I will post them.

I remember this experiment, it was to find out what made the most audible benefit with the four 4 inch absorbers I had available and, if I remember correctly, absorbing the sidewall reflection made a larger audible difference in my room.

Top Bottom