• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii THREE versus KII THREE/BXT

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As soon as the BXT modules actually arrive , I will add some measurements and a little subjective stuff.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I added a Kii THREE versus Kii THREE page on the Purité Audio site,
https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/kii-bxt
There isn’t much there at the moment, but as soon as the BXT modules arrive I will enchant you all with my subjective gushing.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just this minute heard the first KII BXT module arrives here on the 28th!
Including new levelling ‘foot’ design ! And flight case!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In anticipation of the BXTs imminent arrival that very nice Tom Jansen from Kii upgraded everything to the latest firmware versions.
We then just had to check everything with a bit of Radiohead.

Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What I don’t understand here is if with the Dutch&Dutch 8C ( £10k ish) you don’t need a sub and indeed the only reason to consider some would be for destructive reasons why then do we want to spend £27k on the kii with these monstrous bass cannons that being right next to the speaker can’t be used destructively at all? Further more we have been told how the kii is the perfect speaker that’s flat to 20hz but suddenly it needs this enhancement.

This add on seems to undermine the whole reason for the kii’s aproach in the first place. I don’t really get it.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just makes the Kii better, line source, cardioid response max at 50Hz but still 3dB at 20Hz !
Not enough drivers for Sal of course but for nearly everyone else should be adequate.
Keith

Cosmik

Major Contributor
...with these monstrous bass cannons that being right next to the speaker can’t be used destructively at all?
Isn't the Kii/BXT all about destructiveness? i.e. destructiveness that works properly because the drivers are mounted in the correct place, close to the main drivers..?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Isn't the Kii/BXT all about destructiveness? i.e. destructiveness that works properly because the drivers are mounted in the correct place, close to the main drivers..?
They are all about adding to the revenue potential of the kii, a one product company that needs a ‘ added value ‘ device.

What’s the profit margin on a pair of kii’s vs the tower? Do we think all those recording engineers who were buying up the kii like it was going out of fashion will be adding this BXT?

Very expensive subwoofers for a speaker we were told did not need subwoofers lol

Own goal.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
They are all about adding to the revenue potential of the kii, a one product company that needs a ‘ added value ‘ device.

What’s the profit margin on a pair of kii’s vs the tower? Do we think all those recording engineers who were buying up the kii like it was going out of fashion will be adding this BXT?

Very expensive subwoofers for a speaker we were told did not need subwoofers lol

Own goal.
You may be right, but I get cognitive dissonance over the hostility being shown towards something that, at least, shows off its engineering, materials and genuine functionality, versus the industry's real snake oil which is *so* ridiculous that it gets a free pass. This is hardly another MQA is it?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You may be right, but I get cognitive dissonance over the hostility being shown towards something that, at least, shows off its engineering, materials and genuine functionality, versus the industry's real snake oil which is *so* ridiculous that it gets a free pass. This is hardly another MQA is it?
It will probably make the speakers sound better,,, it’s like MQA releasing MQA plus plus , a slightly bigger file that unfolds to DXD. Now that’s fine unless you’ve spent 18 months telling everyone MQA is the perfect format and does not need a higher resolution.

Of course if we accept the kii was limited ( it’s just a bookshelf after all) from the start and really needed a add on like this to deliver a ‘full’ sound my attitude ‘might’ be different. That simply is not what we were told ( repeatedly).

Be intresting to see if it measures better in room, though I don’t think you value in room measurements. What about some blind listening tests ha ha

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Of course if we accept the kii was limited ( it’s just a bookshelf after all) from the start and really needed a add on like this to deliver a ‘full’ sound my attitude ‘might’ be different. That simply is not what we were told ( repeatedly).
Engineers know that 90% of effort is spent in solving the problems that occur in only a fraction of cases. I'm quite prepared to believe that the Kii Three is capable of most domestic duties without problems, and yes, because of its modernness, cleverness and energy inefficiency, it can behave like a big box.

But I think in the professional situation, listening at insane SPLs for long periods, it is probably going to go into bass limiting unless extra grunt is provided - everything's going to get hot. It won't shut down or get damaged though - and this is why Kii might feel justified in selling the speaker on the basis of its 'big box' capabilities. In most situations it's true.

This is the modern world: dynamic systems that don't have a fixed specification, because they're capable of adapting rather than burning out. Most people won't even register the difference. How do you advertise that feature in a way that 'old school' audiophiles understand? People need to get with the modern world!

The BXT add-on is just for professionals or perfectionists - and also improves dispersion in the vertical plane I think.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The BXT add-on is just for professionals or perfectionists - and also improves dispersion in the vertical plane I think.

I'm most interested in their claim of extending the cardioid down further and being a line source, allowing big speaker in a big room sound in small rooms. I'm skeptical but interested.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Engineers know that 90% of effort is spent in solving the problems that occur in only a fraction of cases. I'm quite prepared to believe that the Kii Three is capable of most domestic duties without problems, and yes, because of its modernness, cleverness and energy inefficiency, it can behave like a big box.

But I think in the professional situation, listening at insane SPLs for long periods, it is probably going to go into bass limiting unless extra grunt is provided - everything's going to get hot. It won't shut down or get damaged though - and this is why Kii might feel justified in selling the speaker on the basis of its 'big box' capabilities. In most situations it's true.

This is the modern world: dynamic systems that don't have a fixed specification, because they're capable of adapting rather than burning out. Most people won't even register the difference. How do you advertise that feature in a way that 'old school' audiophiles understand? People need to get with the modern world!

Professionals???? You think recording engineers will buy this add on? It’s aimed at audiophiles that had a prejudice against the small ( ish) kii and it’s small (ish) drivers. It’s the tower of appeasement lol

Cosmik

Major Contributor
It’s aimed at audiophiles that had a prejudice against the small ( ish) kii and it’s small (ish) drivers.
I doubt it.
If they think that, they don't understand anything about it; they wouldn't be buying a DSP-based speaker in the first place. And the 'look' isn't very domestic is it?

Top Bottom