• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii Audio's "Three": Let me know if you would like to see it reviewed

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm considering going from a passive system to active.....

Eager to see some detailed measurements. :cool:

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just wanted to check in and provide an update on this...

I had a nice phone chat with Wim Weijers - US/Europe Sales Manager for Kii Audio - yesterday. Great fellow. Long story short: Kii will be sending me a pair of the Threes (no BXT) to review. Depending on the logistics end, it could be as early as the end of May but could be as late as the fall. Either way, they are definitely sending me a pair to review. :)

Last edited:

Sparky

Forum Donor

I had a nice phone chat with Wim Weijers - US/Europe Sales Manager for Kii Audio - yesterday. Great fellow. Long story short: Kii will be sending me a pair of the Threes (no BXT) to review. Depending on upcoming changes on the logistics end, it could be as early as the end of May but could be as late as the fall. Either way, they are definitely sending me a pair to review. :)

I wait with baited breath.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I had a nice phone chat with Wim Weijers - US/Europe Sales Manager for Kii Audio - yesterday. Great fellow. Long story short: Kii will be sending me a pair of the Threes (no BXT) to review. Depending on the logistics end, it could be as early as the end of May but could be as late as the fall. Either way, they are definitely sending me a pair to review. :)
Congrats, @hardisj! I have no idea if our "support" helped someway... But glad about the outcome!:cool:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wonderful news.

hvbias

@hardisj I would be interested if you could talk more about when/how the loudness protection kicks in. It was a couple of years ago that there was a long back and forth in a Computer Audiophile thread about someone having the protection kick in quite often but he was listening to really bassy music. I can't recall much other than that, Kii did communicate with him but I'm unsure if they mentioned anything like db levels where it happens, etc.

This was before the BXT existed. I'm just curious because if one has to have the BXT to listen at say symphony levels (where dynamic bursts are very short, but you still don't want the protection kicking in) then this becomes a speaker that is now significantly more expensive than their closest rival.

Thank you! I've been loving the reviews I've had a chance to view, especially the interview with Floyd Toole.

Sparky

Forum Donor
I have a question regarding the measurement process which I feel is relevant.
I don't understand how the Klippel machine will be able to accurately analyse a speaker of this type.
The Kii has numerous drivers on its chassis who's sole purpose is to cancel out certain frequencies.
Surely this will have a huge effect on the outcome of the test?
Unless I have missed something glaringly obvious?

Olius

I have a question regarding the measurement process which I feel is relevant.
I don't understand how the Klippel machine will be able to accurately analyse a speaker of this type.
The Kii has numerous drivers on its chassis who's sole purpose is to cancel out certain frequencies.
Surely this will have a huge effect on the outcome of the test?
Unless I have missed something glaringly obvious?

As far as I understand it, the Klippel NFS analyses the sound field emanating from the speaker in all directions. The Kii Three uses cancellation to achieve directional dispersion further down in the frequency range. But what's measured is more or less the sum of the speaker's drivers working together. A sound wave that is cancelled out will not be picked up by a microphone because it doesn't exist anymore. So I think the absence of sound pressure in the cancelled out areas will just register as higher directivity further down in the frequency range than a traditional speaker. The D&D 8C also uses cancellation to achieve directional bass and that measured very well on the NFS IIRC.

Last edited:

Sparky

Forum Donor
As far as I understand it, the Klippel NFS analyses the sound field emanating from the speaker in all directions. The Kii Three uses cancellation to achieve directional dispersion further down in the frequency range. A sound wave that is cancelled out will not be picked up by a microphone because it doesn't exist anymore. So I'm guessing the absence of sound pressure in the cancelled out areas will just register as higher directivity further down in the frequency range than a traditional speaker. The D&D 8C also uses cancellation to achieve directional bass and that measured very well on the NFS IIRC.

Very well explained, thank you.

Yes, the D&D measured well actually come to think of it. Ignore me! :D

The Kii 3's are definitely up there as my future dream speaker so I'm looking forward to the results of this test! :)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Kii 3's are definitely up there as my future dream speaker so I'm looking forward to the results of this test! :)

Same. I'm looking at making a 2 channel system for my main entertainment room for guests. This is one of the speakers I'm really looking at. Will definitely wait for full measurements, though.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well to be fair they have Bob Katz onboard too.

Didn't know he went with the Kii 3! Last we spoke after I purchased his 8260 set, he was looking at using the sale to pay for part of a Dutch & Dutch 8C set.

I imagine if he has the Kii with BXT modules though, it would outperform the 8C handily.

These days coaxial Genelecs, Devialet Phantoms, and Kii and D&D seem to be the only interesting speakers. I wish the former two did cardioid bass and the latter two had even vertical dispersion.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

hvbias

I imagine if he has the Kii with BXT modules though, it would outperform the 8C handily.

In what way? Sincere question and not being faceticious. I see the 8C has higher than what I imagine most of us would like to see as bass distortion, other than that they extend very well. 8C also seem to have no issues playing very loud without protection kicking in. I mentioned this protection kicking in with the Three in a post in this thread but after I posted that I went back through the Audiophile Style thread and it looks like Kii have updated firmware to address that.

This was my thinking with either going with 8C or Three - I am going to need some in room bass smoothing to get a flat response. Both seem to do a good job with the cardioid response plus EQ either through REW with 8C or the built in correction that Three has but it seems like using something like Geddes multi subwoofer or Welti's system will do an even better job.

Ericglo

These days coaxial Genelecs, Devialet Phantoms, and Kii and D&D seem to be the only interesting speakers. I wish the former two did cardioid bass and the latter two had even vertical dispersion.

While those are definitely interesting speakers, there are others. Danley's unity speakers and CBTs are both unique and interesting.

F1308

Major Contributor
Are you sure Devialet Phantoms are interesting...?
Well, they were for me until...

Saw them at a store, asked them to hear my music, they finally managed to achieve Bluetooth connection with my phone after some 12 minutes, they were sounding as a little radio from the 60s and after going suddenly offline connection could only be granted with an iPad of theirs, so I gave up and left...

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure Devialet Phantoms are interesting...?
Well, they were for me until...

Saw them at a store, ask them to hear my music, they finally manage to achieve Bluetooth connection with my phone after some 12 minutes, they were sounding as a little radio from the 60s and after going suddenly offline connection could only be granted with an iPad of theirs, so I gave up and left...

The app is a major sore spot for me and why I returned them. Maybe they work with an iPhone or a house with newer wiring better. (They can communicate over powerline ethernet with each other.)

F1308

Major Contributor
The app is a major sore spot for me and why I returned them. Maybe they work with an iPhone or a house with newer wiring better. (They can communicate over powerline ethernet with each other.)
I might be not up to date, but after lots of testing where only MP3s were allowed to be streamed, long gaping playback, losing IP addresses, poor Wi-Fi signal, DLNA servers offering only the first ten thousand files (they updated the number from an initial limit of 1000), a never ending music files reindex at every start-up...etc...etc...I very happily ended up with a 99$ laptop connected via ethernet to a router and via USB to a 5 TB HDD that plays everything available via Winamp, controlled if so wished via AmpWifi on Android. Add powered speakers or your own DAC/Amp and beloved speakers and this a winner for sure.

And at times I simply go and fire up those paired Tronsmart Element Force (less than 100$ for both) and have much fun via Bluetooth. Having a 1 TB micro SD card (currently approaching 150$) full of FLAC files in the smartphone makes the trick..!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom