• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kick me under the table all you want... Controlling the discourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
"Kick me under the table all you want, I won't shut up." Fiona Apple

Refusing to talk "politics" is a privilege of the rich and pale skinned. When politics conversations are banned, it is almost always to protect the sensitivities of old white men.

This forum is safe for old white men. It is not safe for me. That saddens me greatly.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Refusing to talk "politics" is a privilege of the rich and pale skinned. When politics conversations are banned, it is almost always to protect the sensitivities of old white men.

This forum is safe for old white men. It is not safe for me. That saddens me greatly.

Ok.
Feel better now?

Maybe it's just a forum policy so people from around the world with varied perspectives don't end up hating each other over polititical issues.

This is an Audio Science site.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'd say it is mostly

- because this is an audio forum.
- because political discussions tend to turn nasty especially these days.
- calling a forum "unsafe" is a bit of an overstatement imho, it isn't like a neighborhood you can't leave.

That being said, from what I saw from your posts, I can say that I am, in terms of personal convictions, not opposed to a lot of what you expressed.
It is just that this is not the place and I feel you were a bit severe on the implied meaning of some posts by others.

OP
hellboundlex

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Ok.
Feel better now?

No. I am truly saddened. If the policy was applied equally, that is one thing. But the moderator makes a political statement, I call him on it, he then calls me names and ignores post by people attacking me as a parent

Maybe it's just a forum policy so people from around the world with varied perspectives don't end up hating each other over polititical issues.

There is such a thing as "threads." You are you don't have to participate in every conversation

OP
hellboundlex

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
- calling a forum "unsafe" is a bit of an overstatement imho, it isn't like a neighborhood you can't leave.

Fair enough. "Hostile to new ideas."

OP
hellboundlex

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
I feel you were a bit severe on the implied meaning of some posts by others

Acknowledged. Also, acknowledged previously and apologized for in the thread.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
There is such a thing as "threads." You are you don't have to participate in every conversation
There's such a thing as other forums, you don't have to pollute all of them with unrelated opinions. And if you can't see the beautiful thing in a communist, a fascist, a democrat, a monarchist and someone who doesn't care discussing politely about something totally unrelated to politics, I can't do anything for you.

OP
hellboundlex

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
There's such a thing as other forums, you don't have to pollute all of them with unrelated opinions. And if you can't see the beautiful thing in a communist, a fascist, a democrat, a monarchist and someone who doesn't care about politics discussing politely about something totally unrelated to politics, I can't do anything for you.

Again, not caring about politics is privilege.

This is the only non audio thread I have started. I did not come here to talk politics. Sometimes other topics come up. I post on those topics. I didn't start the threads, and I didn't make them political. I just offered a viewpoint that wasn't the same as everyone else.

If you don't want to talk politics, don't. But don't start a thread about politics and make poltical statements and expect that people will only respond with a narrow range of opinions.

OP
hellboundlex

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
The point of this thread was to get people to think. I am going to stop responding on it. I didn't come her to talk politics, but I make a few comments on a few threads, my children are attacked, and then I am banned from the thread.

I guess that's what I mean by not safe. It's not safe from attacks against my children. I know it is a little thing, but it was enough to get me to leave a forum.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Again, not caring about politics is privilege.

This is the only non audio thread I have started. I did not come here to talk politics. Sometimes other topics come up. I post on those topics. I didn't start the threads, and I didn't make them political. I just offered a viewpoint that wasn't the same as everyone else.

If you don't want to talk politics, don't. But don't start a thread about politics and make poltical statements and expect that people will only respond with a narrow range of opinions.
This isn't about caring or not caring, this is about focusing on audio. Not talking about politics in this specific place allows for the almost surreal situation I described in my previous post. In case I'm not clear, I'm talking about ALL political views and I don't know what conversation you're talking about. I'm even against forum sections unrelated to audio, but I'm sure some people with too much time on their hands need it.

Personally, that's one of the reasons I'm using this place, the "no politics" rule usual to most subject focused forums is well applied here.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Ok your banned .

Cheers and good luck elsewhere.

Oh and btw iv little idea what colour any of our members are in the main , they come from all over the world from all sorts of cultural backgrounds.

That's the thing about the internet, you are the words you write.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The point of this thread was to get people to think. I am going to stop responding on it. I didn't come her to talk politics, but I make a few comments on a few threads, my children are attacked, and then I am banned from the thread.

I guess that's what I mean by not safe. It's not safe from attacks against my children. I know it is a little thing, but it was enough to get me to leave a forum.
No one attack this man's children.

You can take your drama elsewhere.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ok.
Feel better now?

This is an Audio Science site.
That's precisely what it is and that was explained to the gentleman. He responded with similar trope to what we see here but just more aimed at me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom