• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone2 Pro Review (DAC & Amp)

staticV3

Master Contributor

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An alternative for a combined unbalanced-balanced connector would be the 4.4mm jack. It would need an adapter for converting both to RCA and XLR. Or an additional 3.5mm for unbalanced would be more compatible if there is space.

Last edited:

flAked

I have the Tone 2 Pro with AKG K712 and I am wondering which AMP would be best, considering that the balanced RCA seems to be better. I could buy the adapter cable BRCA to XLR and get an AMP with XLR-Input, and possible mod my AKGs for a fully balanced chain. Or just use the unbalanced RCA.

I guess there is no way to convert the signal from the XLR adapter cable to unbalanced regular RCA into an DAC?

solderdude mapped out that 1W/32Ohms are recommended for these headphones and there aren't many AMPs in the 100-200eur price bracket with that power and good review? Magni Heresy is out of stock in Europe, Atom Amp would be 150eur with shipping.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Can't really see the advantage of this one over 'premium dongles' with similar power like the Sparrow or the Lotoon S1. Creative Xfi Amp delivers also 370mW at 32Ohm and 55mW at 300 Ohm and has volume control buttons at half the cost.
How many premium dongles have balanced line outs as well as headphones, and spdif input? Last I looked the docs hadn't appeared for the 40 pin header or the fpc connectors, but for many the possibilities those gave was a major advantage of the Tone 1 over the competition.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have the Tone 2 Pro with AKG K712 and I am wondering which AMP would be best, considering that the balanced RCA seems to be better. I could buy the adapter cable BRCA to XLR and get an AMP with XLR-Input, and possible mod my AKGs for a fully balanced chain. Or just use the unbalanced RCA.

I guess there is no way to convert the signal from the XLR adapter cable to unbalanced regular RCA into an DAC?

solderdude mapped out that 1W/32Ohms are recommended for these headphones and there aren't many AMPs in the 100-200eur price bracket with that power and good review? Magni Heresy is out of stock in Europe, Atom Amp would be 150eur with shipping.
It's possible to create an adapter from 3pin XLR to 2pin RCA, by just leaving the Signal- end disconnected, but you'd lose half your volume and the common mode rejection of a balanced connection in the process.
In short: there's no advantage to BalRCA->XLR->RCA compared to a simple RCA connection between Tone2 and Amp.

Here's how much power the K712 needs according to referenceaudioanalyzer: 20210224_122258.jpg

It's pretty easy to modify the K712 for use with balanced Amps. You can punch out the 3pin mini XLR connector and just glue in a 4pin mini XLR connector instead. The mod is completely seamless, though you'd have to source a 4pin mini XLR balanced cable somewhere. Those are not readily available.

elitesheep

Many thanks for the measurements.

Which filters correspond to which on the graph? You have 8 results but there are only 7 selectable filters (page 11 of the manual).

I agree that the wheel interface is a bit naff, but after you've set your preferred filter and gain you're unlikely to change anything except the volume I would have thought. I feel the biggest annoyance is having to refer to the manual for what each of the LED positions are, I don't really see that a small LCD would have been that hard to implement.

Nango

Major Contributor
How many premium dongles have balanced line outs as well as headphones, and spdif input? Last I looked the docs hadn't appeared for the 40 pin header or the fpc connectors, but for many the possibilities those gave was a major advantage of the Tone 1 over the competition.
Op wanted to use with a mobile phones, no need for spdif input.

capslock

The Meizu HiFi (116.8) and HiFi Pro (116.0) get pretty close, provided that you have clean 5V: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395

The 9038D is between 117.5 and 118.5: https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038d

The Luxury&Precision W2 is reaching 119dB SINAD: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/information-update-of-lp-w2/

Are there any non-manufacturer measurements of the 9038D? Amir's measured the 9038S much worse than the manufacturer has (unless he had a different version, as the manufacturer's plots are for a G3).

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are there any non-manufacturer measurements of the 9038D? Amir's measured the 9038S much worse than the manufacturer has (unless he had a different version, as the manufacturer's plots are for a G3).
Amirm was sent a 9038D a couple months ago, but there's a long waiting list on ASR of course.
Official specs for the 9038S G1 is THD+N of <.0004%, which is right in line with Amirm's measurements.
Don't compare ASR's G1 measurements with the G3 measurements on the product page.

EDIT: sorry for going off-topic.

RiflemanFirst

Seems to be a very solid performer with lots of features for the form factor and price. Any chance of a re-test with a dedicated power supply on the 2nd USB-C input to compare measurements? Really considering buying one to finally give MQA and balanced a try with my HD660S.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Here's how much power the K712 needs according to referenceaudioanalyzer:
So not a job for Tone 2. Looks like an amp with more than 1W/ch. would be a better match. I also speak from experience here too.

Lambda

Major Contributor
This might have been discussed several times before so i would appreciate if someone can point me to the explanations.

The non ideal filter seams to causes problems and reduces performance close to the filter frequency.
Why not use 196Khz with all DACs? this would move the "problem" far outside the audible range.

An analog low pass @~40Khz could easily take care of remaining digital filter artifacts without compromising the audible band.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Be sure to add the cost of the cable adapters while comparing value. I don't personally see a scenario where I would use this product.

anon2k2

Forum Donor
I'm enjoying my blue one. As a little bonus, my wife just likes how it looks.

"It's very pretty," she said upon seeing it, "not like all the dumb black boxes you have all over the place."

"Hey, some of those dumb boxes are silver," was my retort.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Be sure to add the cost of the cable adapters while comparing value. I don't personally see a scenario where I would use this product.
That's a fair point - $50 or $80 to be able to use the balanced outs is a bit steep. They had the bare connectors for ~$10 each if you wanted to solder your own, but those seem to have disappeared.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Nice. Personally I'm generally skeptical about design-oriented gear, because it is often more looks (and price) than substance, but this one is a positive surprise. As to the complex settings structure, this is easier to handle on the RME for instance, but even here one would wish for a PC interface for the settings. This would probably not be hard to implement in a USB device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom