• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone2 Pro Review (DAC & Amp)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry if this is a dumb question (still learning), but dB being a ratio, wouldn't it translate to a noticeable difference near the max volume?
No. 0.8dB difference is the same loudness difference no matter where you are in absolute terms.

wgh52

Hi everyone,

we're now in 2023 and the Khadas shop does not yet offer the Tone2 DIY Kit annouced for "the future" back in 2021. If anyone has news on that, please post!

Thanks and Regards,
Winfried

Edit: Interestingly enough, the Tone2 Kit is available in their Amazon Store, but not on their own website store...

Last edited:

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everyone,

we're now in 2023 and the Khadas shop does not yet offer the Tone2 DIY Kit annouced for "the future" back in 2021. If anyone has news on that, please post!

Thanks and Regards,
Winfried

Edit: Interestingly enough, the Tone2 Kit is available in their Amazon Store, but not on their own website store...

Hi, I don't remember exactly how it was announced but I think it was a DIY kit based on the Tone2 Pro, but that in the end they decided to create a Tone2 version (without headphones amp and MQA support) and offer the DIY kit based on this one since September 2022.

You can find it on their website on this page, you just have to select Tone2 in Black, Blue ($199) or Maker kit ($159): https://www.khadas.com/product-page/tone2

Moderate Dionysianism

I use mine in the following configuration: PS5 -> USB BT transmitter -> Khadas BT -> Meze 99 over balanced 4.4.
I have to put the volume to ~90% for comfortable listening.

When connected over a simple USB ~40% volume is usually enough.

Yup, quite similar in my use case. The headphone is a Yamaha HPH-MT8 (3.5mm SE connection). I just bumped that Khadas forum topic, hopefully they've been investigating this. Tks for the reminder;)

withoutsuit

Would you still recommend the device as a pure dac this days? I'm wondering if the 4,4mm balanced out could be used for the amplifier via 4,4mm to xlr instead of the ridiculous expensive balanced rca to xlr cable.

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you still recommend the device as a pure dac this days? I'm wondering if the 4,4mm balanced out could be used for the amplifier via 4,4mm to xlr instead of the ridiculous expensive balanced rca to xlr cable.
Hi, I didn't saw your post at first, just now after coming back to say that it's back to a very good price with the BF offers: $159.20
It's less than what I paid almost two years ago, and I would absolutely recommend it if it matches your needs.
I don't use it exclusively as pure DAC, more when I need to use one quickly on any computer, especially for balanced headphones/IEM, it's perfect. I also have the XLR cables, but it didn't cost me a lot as I only purchased the balanced RCA plugs and sold them myself.

For the cable from balanced HP to XLR, no reason that it wouldn't work

withoutsuit

Thank you for your reply! Meanwhile I had the Tone 2 for some days but then became the option for another device, which I currently use.

pos411

Hello,

I have a strange problem. In the menu "Gain", i can choose low gain and preamp but high gain doesn't appear. Someone has meet this problem too? How can i resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom