• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone2 Pro Review (DAC & Amp)

Gouwa

Audio Company
HI. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Just to confirm. I am one of the early adopters and my serial number is 11xxxxxx. I can eventually update my firmware to fix the issue because Khadas is working on this?
Also, is the problem just with 48khz files? But really inaudible even if not fixed? Thanks.
Yep, we will release new firmware recently and will with information of the issues that fixed, you can check our updates for further details then.

And as the statments I posted here, feel free to contact our sales for after sale service anytime :)

Have fun!

AtomAmp

Yep, we will release new firmware recently and will with information of the issues that fixed, you can check our updates for further details then.

And as the statments I posted here, feel free to contact our sales for after sale service anytime :)

Have fun!
So what I get from these is that the units of the early adopters will always be firmware upgradeable only by ST-Link? There is nothing Khadas can do about these first units? Only the new units can upgrade firmware by regular usb? Is this correct?

foxtrot

Have fun!

I ask for an answer to the question. Can the device be powered by a Power Bank (e.g. Xiaomi Mi Power Bank 10000) to charge mobile phones?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So what I get from these is that the units of the early adopters will always be firmware upgradeable only by ST-Link? There is nothing Khadas can do about these first units? Only the new units can upgrade firmware by regular usb? Is this correct?

From chatting on the Khadas forum, my understanding is that you will need an ST-LINK to update the MCU firmware (once available) for the first two batches (SN: 0Cxxxx and 11xxxx). For subsequent firmware updates, we'll be able to use USB C cable to update both XMOS and MCU firmware, just like the newer batches.

Some color differences, but this is the closest match I could find on Amazon to what @Gouwa showed us on February 26th.

https://www.amazon.com/DAOKI-ST-Link-Programming-Emulator-Downloader/dp/B01EE4WAC8/

61AfjHYH0CL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

AtomAmp

From chatting on the Khadas forum, my understanding is that you will need an ST-LINK to update the MCU firmware (once available) for the first two batches (SN: 0Cxxxx and 11xxxx). For subsequent firmware updates, we'll be able to use USB C cable to update both XMOS and MCU firmware, just like the newer batches.

Some color differences, but this is the closest match I could find on Amazon to what @Gouwa showed us on February 26th.

https://www.amazon.com/DAOKI-ST-Link-Programming-Emulator-Downloader/dp/B01EE4WAC8/

61AfjHYH0CL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
Thank you for this. Although, I still don't see any definite answer from Khadas.

"For subsequent firmware updates, we'll be able to use USB C cable to update both XMOS and MCU firmware, just like the newer batches."

What if there is no firmware update subsequent to the MCU update?

dsnyder0cnn

If the DAC is perfect after the next update, that would be lovely. I'm just glad to know that I won't have to peal back that rubber foot more than once in any case. :)

gguertin145

I am looking at using this as a pure dac for a raspberry pi streamer using the allo signature hat. I dont care about any of the amplifier pieces but I am not planning on using balanced outputs as my amplifier does not have them. I would likely use batteries to power it since I am already doing that with my Pi has anyone tested if the rcas still have noise using a clean power source? If the noise is isolated to just the rca's I wonder if it would make since to use the balanced output cables and convert them back to rca?

dsnyder0cnn

pure dac for a raspberry pi streamer using the allo signature hat

You lose a fair bit of functionality by going S/PDIF in. I've been using a Raspberry Pi 4 running VitOS (Roon endpoint). Sound is excellent, and all formats work, although some sound better than others. Unless you're using something like the Benchmark LA4, I doubt noise from the single-ended output will be an issue.

Grooved

Thank you for this. Although, I still don't see any definite answer from Khadas.

"For subsequent firmware updates, we'll be able to use USB C cable to update both XMOS and MCU firmware, just like the newer batches."

Eric (device designer) confirmed it.

Grooved

Also, if we attempt a firmware update via USB, will it brick the unit or just not proceed?
Hi, it's correct.
You can do the XMOS firmware update via USB and the DFU Tool (confirmed by Khadas, and done), but will need the specific instructions and ST-Link to do the MCU update.

Top Bottom