• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone Board or Grace SDAC?

gaooo

I'm looking for a dac to go with the JDS labs Atom, and these two seem to be the most common recommendations. Which one is better though? I don't believe the measurements of both can be compared as Amir used different methodology to measure them, no? I would be able to purchase an enclosure for the KTB, so that's not a problem. If the SDAC is better, I don't mind waiting until it drops again.

tired_guru

I'm looking for a dac to go with the JDS labs Atom, and these two seem to be the most common recommendations. Which one is better though? I don't believe the measurements of both can be compared as Amir used different methodology to measure them, no? I would be able to purchase an enclosure for the KTB, so that's not a problem. If the SDAC is better, I don't mind waiting until it drops again.
SDAC is a bit worse regarding harmonics. But it is quite reliable piece of engineering from GRACE and sounds really good with something like atom. You connect it under linux or windows and that's it, ready to work. No messing with drivers etc. The drawback is only support up to 24/96k files but for me it's max I use.

In my opinion DAC has to do 44.1k right before anything else. If it does it wrong I don't even care about hi-rez or dsd because this is minority.

I miss different digital filters only. That's why I may be selling mine soon and buying probably x1s as DAC which I have already tested with atom. It's performance also blow out of the water most of what's been tested here so far.

There is no date so far when it will be released again. Maybe last time was the last time ? Hopefully not.

Vexed hex

Get the topping d10 it has very good measurements and is only $69 on massdrop right now. The tone board measure very well but its just a board and youll probably want to put it in a case just seems like more hassle than needed. And in reality you wont be able to tell the difference between a d10 and a tone board audibly. So save a couple bucks and get a solid dac already in a nice case and as an added bonus it has a dispaly to show bitrate.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the topping d10 it has very good measurements and is only $69 on massdrop right now. The tone board measure very well but its just a board and youll probably want to put it in a case just seems like more hassle than needed. And in reality you wont be able to tell the difference between a d10 and a tone board audibly. So save a couple bucks and get a solid dac already in a nice case and as an added bonus it has a dispaly to show bitrate.

I agree with you, but if he needs a S/PDIF in, then he needs a Khadas, since the D10 has only USB in.

Top Bottom