• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone Board DAC

brial05

The Tone Board was available for One Day Shipping via Amazon in my area for $99, I had some $$s on Amazon gift card and after just reading every page of that other 'wild' review thread I thought to surely order.

IMG_1813.jpg

Khadas (Generic Version)
Schiit SYS
Akitika

A few notes for anyone interested:

Application Configuration
Using an old MacBook and Audirvana 2.9 I faced zero issues:
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 5.30.43  PM.png

Next Tidal using Mac Desktop Application, again zero issues:
tidal1.png

tidal2.png

Hardware Considerations - Pre Amp may be required
It has been mentioned and noted that you can use the Tone Board as a standalone direct to a power amp with no pre amp needed but I do not feel there is enough to drive the volume to desired levels.
On the Khadas support site they note a process to update your firmware if you do not see Volume Control, this step was not necessary for me, I can see Volume Control with the Tone Board and expectedly I cannot see the same with my Music Fidelity V90.

So while digital volume control is available on the Khadas I feel adding something like the Schiit SYS makes a huge difference.
You can then adjust the SYS such that the MAX Volume on the DAC is where your max volume is more or less and from there, you can then adjust via your software control.

HiRes Audio
I own a few albums from HD Tracks, I've abandoned the idea in lieu of Tidal & Deezer, non the less my 24/96 files play with zero issues, interestingly Audirvana reports the files at 24/96 and shows them playing on the DAC at 32/96.

Listening
Sounds fantastic!
Any nuance I perceive between the Tone Board and the Music Fidelity V90 would be just my personal idea/opinion.
To be sure the Tone Board is 1/3 the cost of the V90 and the Tone Board is worth every bit of its price and certainly worth every bit of its savings as well.

Cheers to All!

Zek

Major Contributor
@brial05 one question : why in Audirvana panel DSD option are disabled?
In Khadas data it states DSD support up to DSD256.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 2.08.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 2.08.25 AM.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 130
OP
B

brial05

Hi Zek,

I believe it all has to do with USB and DoP .... If hit that drop down for "DSD Native Capability" I get several options including:
'DSD over PCM 1.0' or
'DSD over PCM 1.1'

If I select any of those DSD options from the drop down, all DSD options become enabled up to DSD256.

If I try the same drop down selection with my Music Fidelity V90 none of the DSD options enable.

Zek

Major Contributor
If I try the same drop down selection with my Music Fidelity V90 none of the DSD options enable.
That's OK, because V90 can play only 24/192 files max.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It has been mentioned and noted that you can use the Tone Board as a standalone direct to a power amp with no pre amp needed but I do not feel there is enough to drive the volume to desired levels.
On the Khadas support site they note a process to update your firmware if you do not see Volume Control, this step was not necessary for me, I can see Volume Control with the Tone Board and expectedly I cannot see the same with my Music Fidelity V90.

So while digital volume control is available on the Khadas I feel adding something like the Schiit SYS makes a huge difference.
You can then adjust the SYS such that the MAX Volume on the DAC is where your max volume is more or less and from there, you can then adjust via your software control.
I'm confused - if you don't feel the Tone Board has enough output to get the volume to the desired level how's a preamp with no gain like the SYS going to help?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you need what you call a Pre
The Tone Board was available for One Day Shipping via Amazon in my area for $99, I had some $$s on Amazon gift card and after just reading every page of that other 'wild' review thread I thought to surely order.

View attachment 27638

Khadas (Generic Version)
Schiit SYS
Akitika

A few notes for anyone interested:

Application Configuration
Using an old MacBook and Audirvana 2.9 I faced zero issues:
View attachment 27642

Next Tidal using Mac Desktop Application, again zero issues:
View attachment 27643
View attachment 27644

HiRes Audio
I own a few albums from HD Tracks, I've abandoned the idea in lieu of Tidal & Deezer, non the less my 24/96 files play with zero issues, interestingly Audirvana reports the files at 24/96 and shows them playing on the DAC at 32/96.

Listening
Sounds fantastic!
Any nuance I perceive between the Tone Board and the Music Fidelity V90 would be just my personal idea/opinion.
To be sure the Tone Board is 1/3 the cost of the V90 and the Tone Board is worth every bit of its price and certainly worth every bit of its savings as well.

Cheers to All!
I'm confused - if you don't feel the Tone Board has enough output to get the volume to the desired level how's a preamp with no gain like the SYS going to help?

Me too.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you need what you call a Pre

Me too.
Me three. A passive preamp is just a switching center with a volume attenuator. If the KTB lacks sufficient gain to drive a headphone amp (which it doesn't) it won't help to add a device which fails to add additional gain.

Top Bottom