• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas tone board and Pixel 2 XL with powered USB hub?

motorider

I just received my tone board and I want to use it with my xbox 1 and my pixel 2 xl. I have the required tosslink to coax adapter for the Xbox 1. What I cant seem to get to work is the phone. Is there a specific type of USB powered hub that will work to power the device and share the data?

Thanks in advance.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Standard USB OTG cable should suffice. I had the same issue with my Galaxy S7 and Pocophone F1 too, this is what I did to make them work with the tone board; enable Developer Option (google it if you don't know how to), then go to Developer Option > Default USB configuration, and set it to "MIDI". That should do it.

OP
M

motorider

Standard USB OTG cable should suffice. I had the same issue with my Galaxy S7 and Pocophone F1 too, this is what I did to make them work with the tone board; enable Developer Option (google it if you don't know how to), then go to Developer Option > Default USB configuration, and set it to "MIDI". That should do it.

found it. Thank you!

How are you powering the tone board?

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I just use USB, it's not drawing much current anyways (0.5 A).

bravomail

There are USB OTG cables with 3 connections which allow a separate power feed. Also I don't think Khadas board has a switch for inputs, you will have to connect USB power (w/o phone) in order to use SPDIF

OP
M

motorider

There are USB OTG cables with 3 connections which allow a separate power feed. Also I don't think Khadas board has a switch for inputs, you will have to connect USB power (w/o phone) in order to use SPDIF

I am going to buy this powered usb hub that will always power the tone board and I will use my factory power brick for the pixel to power it all. The device is only $21 after the clipped coupon and 30% off code from Anker.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Ah, I misunderstood your question. You want to use the tone board and charging the phone simultaneously? Sorry, I don't know if you could actually do that. Maybe others can chime in.

OP
M

motorider

Ah, I misunderstood your question. You want to use the tone board and charging the phone simultaneously? Sorry, I don't know if you could actually do that. Maybe others can chime in.

Actually I do not care about charging the phone. What I want is to power the tone board up first then plug it into my phone so it will recognize it. Also, I do not want to power the tone board from my phone if I can prevent it.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I get it now. So you don't want the tone board drawing any current from the phone. I think you can do that with a custom USB cable with split data and power feed. I've seen some people do that with a Chord Mojo.

But the Anker USB hub you linked above seems fine for the job too, but I'm not too sure.

OP
M

motorider

I get it now. So you don't want the tone board drawing any current from the phone. I think you can do that with a custom USB cable with split data and power feed. I've seen some people do that with a Chord Mojo.

But the Anker USB hub you linked above seems fine for the job too, but I'm not too sure.

That would be the best option. A simple cord would be awesome.

toear

I have tried powering a usb dac and charging a phone at the same time and could never get it to work. Power go to the dac (no draw from phone)...

OP
M

motorider

Well I can not get the DAC to power up off of my phone. Or I have no audio out, even with the MIDI function turned on in the developer options/USB. Would I be able to just make my own cable? Could I just make a cable to inject the voltage only into the DAC? Or would this work? It would basically be a T cable that allows me to hook up a power brick to the phone and the DAC or just the DAC depending how I solder it up.

Roen

I have tried powering a usb dac and charging a phone at the same time and could never get it to work. Power go to the dac (no draw from phone)...
That's a function of OTG mode, I believe.

The only implementation that I know of, would be in Apple land and their USB 3 CCK with lightning power passthrough.

elnan14

I am going to buy this powered usb hub that will always power the tone board and I will use my factory power brick for the pixel to power it all. The device is only $21 after the clipped coupon and 30% off code from Anker.

Did you buy it? Did it work? I’m also interested in getting something like this to work.

OP
M

motorider

Well I can not get it to work. I bought the powered usb hub. Its an aukey 7 port. It powers up the tone board. It also powers up the phone. But I do not get the audio passthrough. My phone still just plays on the built in speakers. I hate usb audio. It does not work on my laptop either.

Biblob

Just a simpele question: have you tried to switch the mode from the usb-function when you connect it to your Pixel? Connecting something to my phone with USB it locks to charging-mode or data-transfer-mode. You will have to set it on MIDI.

Edit: I mean this is different from the Developer settings, but you could try switching on/off the USB-debugging tool.

OP
M

motorider

Just a simpele question: have you tried to switch the mode from the usb-function when you connect it to your Pixel? Connecting something to my phone with USB it locks to charging-mode or data-transfer-mode. You will have to set it on MIDI.

Edit: I mean this is different from the Developer settings, but you could try switching on/off the USB-debugging tool.

I have tried all settings in the USB default settings. Midi is where it currently resides. I have tried toggling the USB audio on and off as well.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It sounds weird and note that I finally got it to work after like 4~5 tries on my current set portable setup:

LG G6 Quad DAC > Sabaj DAC > Hifiman HE4XX using Onkyo Music player to access the DAC for bit perfect output.

This is what I used :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EDA...751.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7dce4c4dmoyo7D

The Micro-C port is connected to my power supply and the USB-3 port is connected to my DAC.

Sequence :
i) Plug hub's type-C plug into phone.
ii) Plug in power cable and check that its charging.
iii) Plug in DAC to hub.
iv) Start Onkyo Player.

Notes:

-Charging is extremely slow, at like 1% increment after about 15 mins.
-I have "developers" mode enabled though I haven't touched anything inside except the Bluetooth stuff.
- This is almost like a lucky strike as I couldn't get it to work my first few times on the same hub, so I have no idea if it will work with all Android phones.

Ok, I just redid the sequence another 2 tries before it pulled through and played. So its not a 100% thing it seems.
But anyway, hope its of help.

gvl

Major Contributor
Well I can not get it to work. I bought the powered usb hub. Its an aukey 7 port. It powers up the tone board. It also powers up the phone. But I do not get the audio passthrough. My phone still just plays on the built in speakers. I hate usb audio. It does not work on my laptop either.

Is this the hub? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IDI9YFW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_qvmpCb8GWEET3

The phone must be connected to the USB-IN port and it should not charge from that port. You say the hub powers up the phone which makes me think you're connecting the phone to one of the 7 device ports. The phone must be the "host" in this case and connected to the USB-IN port, USB is not symmetric - one side is host (phone) and the other is device (DAC). You most likely need to use an OTG adapter, you definitely have to use one with the standard USB phone connector but things may have changed with USB-C - not sure. Also the phone may not detect the DAC automatically, on my phone I have to pull down the quick menu and select "Detect USB device" from there.

As a side not it is odd that hub doesn't appear to use a USB type B connector for the host uplink.

OP
M

motorider

Is this the hub? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IDI9YFW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_qvmpCb8GWEET3

The phone must be connected to the USB-IN port and it should not charge from that port. You say the hub powers up the phone which makes me think you're connecting the phone to one of the 7 device ports. The phone must be the "host" in this case and connected to the USB-IN port, USB is not symmetric - one side is host (phone) and the other is device (DAC). You most likely need to use an OTG adapter, you definitely have to use one with the standard USB phone connector but things may have changed with USB-C - not sure. Also the phone may not detect the DAC automatically, on my phone I have to pull down the quick menu and select "Detect USB device" from there.

As a side not it is odd that hub doesn't appear to use a USB type B connector for the host uplink.

You know what, you sir are correct. I think I was using the top ports. I forgot all about that. It has a port on the side near the power button. I will retry my tests tonight. Thanks for reminding me, I can be brain dead sometimes. lol

Your listed hub is the one I purchased.

Top Bottom