• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone 2

Paianis

The name 'Tone 2 Pro' suggests to me that somewhere down the line there will be a barebones version with the features of the original board. If its performance rivals things like Panasonic's top Blu-ray spinner then it'll definitely go on my wishlist.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In case anyone's interested, here's a comparison in frequency response between the Tone1 and the Tone2 Pro. This plot shows that there are subtle differences…which I don't claim to be audible. YMMV.

Khadas Tone1 vs Tone2 Pro.png

BTW, this was with the default (Linear Fast) filter on the Tone2 Pro. That said, I have not measured any differences in response among the various filters. This leads me to question if the filter selection control on the Tone2 Pro is actually working…these plots are identical…just offset for visibility, otherwise, you'd just see a single line.

Khadas Tone2 Pro - Filters.png

dsnyder0cnn

Another interesting (if somewhat disappointing) difference is distortion levels at 44.1/48 kHz from the Tone2 Pro vs. the Tone1:

Khadas Tone2 Pro - Distortion Colors.png

The elevated red line is 2nd order harmonic distortion.

Here's the Tone1:
Khadas Tone1 - Distortion Colors.png

That looks quite a bit better to me…so a bit of a regression for the Tone2 Pro. Fortunately (for Roon subscribers), this is easily solved by configuring Roon to upsample 44.1/48 kHz to 176.4/192 kHz.

Another difference is that the Tone2 Pro inverts phase:
Khadas Tone1 vs Tone2 Pro - Step.png

Also easily solved in Roon EQ. In spite of these issues, the Tone2 Pro sounds quite good. No regrets so far. :)

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
The name 'Tone 2 Pro' suggests to me that somewhere down the line there will be a barebones version with the features of the original board. If its performance rivals things like Panasonic's top Blu-ray spinner then it'll definitely go on my wishlist.
I read there will be a non Pro version of Tone 2, it will not have an amp or MQA decoding, but will have the balanced RCA outs like the Pro.
So, basically a Tone Board in a case with balanced out.
You can read it HERE, just scroll down to the FAQ near the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
I read there will be a non Pro version of Tone 2, it will not have an amp or MQA decoding, but will have the balanced RCA outs like the Pro. So, basically a Tone Board in a case with balanced out.
You can read it HERE, just scroll down to the FAQ near the bottom of the page.

Judging by the FAQ, it seems like it will have the same specs as the original TB with balanced output.

Labjr

Major Contributor
If it's anywhere near the original TB price, with an enclosure, it will be a good deal.

I suspect it will be more than the original. I think buyers would expect improved specs other than just balanced output.

anon2k2

Forum Donor
TLDR: all functions/decoding work fine, no clicks or other annoying sounds, plenty of volume, volume button is fine for that but weird for other functions.

I got my Tone 2 Pro yesterday and listened for about an hour last night, directly hooked up to my laptop via Khadas ASIO USB driver, using Roon. My first impressions are pretty good.

I fed several different format files to it, mainly to see how it handled various file types, etc. My listening was with HD650s using the 4.4mm output. DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 are all fine, MQA unfolding works fine. Switches sampling rates with no problems.

Noise floor is good, not hearing any hiss or clicks between tracks, etc. The volume knob takes some getting used to though. It's great as a volume knob, but all the double/triple clicking takes a Sherlock Holmes memory to decode.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
^^ What @anon2k2 said, gonna take some time trying to figure out how to get to each feature with all the clicking and corresponding colors.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently, it's going to be $199 which is disappointing. At that price, balanced output units are available from SMSL Schiit, and Topping. The SMSL unit even has a remote control. And none of them require the expensive proprietary balanced cables this unit does.

H

Hifihedgehog

To the interweb sleuths out there, observe carefully the following clue tucked between Khadas’ balanced RCA cable specifications:

Compatibility:
  • Tone2 Pro
  • Tone2
Hey Scooby Doo, we found a clue! Now where is this Tone2, hmm?

H

Hifihedgehog

Apparently, it's going to be $199 which is disappointing. At that price, balanced output units are available from SMSL Schiit, and Topping. The SMSL unit even has a remote control.
For a dongle unit, this is far and away better than those other units which require a mess of cables. You don’t have to mess with AC cables and other power periphery paraphernalia. It’s just the unit and the computer and the USB cable. Plus it’s far sleeker and lighter than any of them. That’s a solid win in my book despite the minimal wrinkles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moderate Dionysianism

Got a question regarding the external power supply. I have an LPS lying around, it's from a Targus USB hub I no longer use. Problem is, it has this stupid 2.5mm x 10mm plug. I know there are many adapters to USB-C on Amazon / AliExpress, but so far I've had no luck finding this exact type.

Has anyone used this kind of adapter or can recommend a place where I have a chance to find it? I don't feel like buying an additional power supply if a $2 connector could do the trick:)

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 107

dsnyder0cnn

Did you have a preference between the Sanskrit 10th Mk II vs. the Khadas Tone 2 Pro?

They are rather different products, so they are difficult to compare. I think once the Tone2 Pro has some of its firmware challenges sorted (could be as soon as this week), it will match or exceed the performance of the S.M.S.L., and it has many features that the S.M.S.L. lacks, including MQA decoding and rendering, capable headphone amp, and balanced outputs. But, the S.M.S.L. has a remote control and TOSLINK S/PDIF input.

I can see a strong case for owning both. The Sanskrit 10th Mk II is handy for an entertainment system with a TV, CD transport, and network audio endpoint driving active speakers or paired with a little integrated amp. Sound quality and performance is overkill for such a system, but its features and low cost make it a good fit. The Tone2 Pro is a great travel/vacation DAC.

I've not done a careful, level matched A/B comparison of the two. I'll do that once new firmware is out for the Tone2 Pro, but I imagine I'll struggle to reliably say which is which. My impression is that the Tone2 is a bit more lively and fun, while the S.M.S.L. is a little more neutral and even-keeled, but that could simply be because my Tone2 Pro is red and my Sanskrit 10th Mk II is blue. :p

Top Bottom