• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone 2

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks like we have the argument all over again.
Mini XLR? Who ever used them? Any standard? No. It's not a standardized connector and no one uses it. So it has no benefits over balanced RCA in the first place.

No one eh? You do know that the mini XLR is used on Harman owned AKG headphones?

It's an excellent connector. In fact I have some on my desk right now to make an extension. I love them. Compared to the horrible standard Cannon XLR, there's no contest.

IMG_3993 (Small).jpeg

IMG_3994 (Small).jpeg

IMG_3996 (Small).jpeg

But if they so desperately wanted balanced and RCAs, why bother with a new connector- just use four RCAs instead. Same.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No one eh? You do know that the mini XLR is used on Harman owned AKG headphones?

It's an excellent connector. In fact I have some on my desk right now to make an extension. I love them. Compared to the horrible standard Cannon XLR, there's no contest.

View attachment 99860

View attachment 99861

View attachment 99862

But if they so desperately wanted balanced and RCAs, why bother with a new connector- just use four RCAs instead. Same.
Lol. Are you saying headphone is the same as DAC? Who has it on a DAC?
Neither it's on a dac nor it's used as balanced connector.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Do I have to remind you what you said?

Looks like we have the argument all over again.
Mini XLR? Who ever used them? Any standard? No. It's not a standardized connector and no one uses it. So it has no benefits over balanced RCA in the first place.

The connector is what we are talking about. Not what it is attached to. You said "no one uses it". That is clearly wrong isn't it? Audio Technica use it. AKG use it.

Clearly "no-one" buys them either do they? :facepalm:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=mini+xlr&_sacat=0

And let's face it, XLRs in general were not invented for D/A converters were they? In fact D/A converters didn't even exist when the Cannon XLR was invented. Switchcraft invented the mini-xlr and it is used by many manufacturers who want a compact plug.

I'd like to see the mini XLR plug used in preference to yet another bodged up and modified version of a pre-existing plug. And a nice mini to full size XLR adapter supplied for compatibility. Hopefully the mini-XLR will take over from the full size XLR on compact gear.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

The connector is what we are talking about. Not what it is attached to. You said "no one uses it". That is clearly wrong isn't it? Audio Technica use it. AKG use it.

And let's face it, XLRs in general were not invented for D/A converters were they? In fact D/A converters didn't even exist when the Cannon XLR was invented. Switchcraft invented the mini-xlr and it is used by many manufacturers who want a compact plug.

I'd like to see the mini XLR plug used in preference to yet another bodged up and modified version of a pre-existing plug. And a nice mini to full size XLR adapter for compatibility.
This is in the context of DAC and BAL output. You are replying under Khadas Tone 2 thread. Ring a bell? I was also implying that when talking about 4.4mm connector.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Clearly "no-one" buys them either do they? :facepalm:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=mini+xlr&_sacat=0

I'd like to see the mini XLR plug used in preference to yet another bodged up and modified version of a pre-existing plug. And a nice mini to full size XLR adapter supplied for compatibility. Hopefully the mini-XLR will take over from the full size XLR on compact gear.
The first sentence indicated that this is already being discussed elsewhere. Yeah you also participated in that thread.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng-the-khadas-balanced-rca.16253/#post-526132

Gouwa

Audio Company
Neither it's on a dac nor it's used as balanced connector.
Personally I agree on this, just saw a few mobile DAC with mini-XLR but never saw it on any desktop DAC.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Personally, the only plug really fit for purpose is the 1/4" plug. It's practically indestructible and with good chassis mounted sockets, it lasts forever. The XLR is rock solid too, but big, heavy and ugly. The mini XLR is a nicer version to me. I like it.

As for the 3.5mm, it's a hideous thing. It was designed for TS only for a single earphone connection on pocket AM radios. Then TRS now TRRS and no wonder they break and offer such crappy reliability, especially the PCB mount sockets. The 4.4mm balanced pentaconn may be a success, maybe not.

Let's not get into Apple's connectors.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I wouldn't want to be the person who has a problem with those balanced RCA jacks.

TimW

Major Contributor
Khadas just added the Bal-RCA to XLR-3 Adapter & Cable and Balanced RCA Plugs to their web shop. The pre-made Bal-RCA to XLR-3 Male adapter ($39.90/pair) makes sense to me since it allows you to then use standard XLR cables to connect the output of the Tone2 Pro to an XLR input. The longer Bal-RCA to XLR-3 Female cables ($79.90/pair) don't make much sense to me because you would be trying to connect an output to an output... unless they expect you to buy both to get Bal-RCA to Bal-RCA cables. Which would cost you $120.

The prices for all of these Bal-RCA products is somewhat unreasonable but I may buy one plug of each color ($10 each) just so I can make my own cables for my Tone2. So far the only way to access the SPDIF output would be by making your own cable.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Way too expensive. I hope nobody buys any of it.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Well...the connectors are certainly more than a Rean RCA or miniature XLR, or Neutrik XLR, but not so far off the Amphenol RCAs and similar to the Switchcraft miniature XLRs. The assembled cables do seem a bit steep though. If you're not soldering your own and want to use the balanced outs then the price of the assembled cables needs to be factored into the DAC price, and takes a way a bit of its edge on value for money. If you need the headphone out it's still looking competitive though.

Gouwa

Audio Company
unless they expect you to buy both to get Bal-RCA to Bal-RCA cables. Which would cost you $120.
We will launch full Bal RCA to Bal RCA cable sometime in the future once there are some product with Bal RCA as input on the market.

For same cable specs and at 1 meter length, the retail price will be less then $60 per pair I think.

TimW

Major Contributor
The simultaneous SPDIF in/out could be interesting too, depending on exactly how it works - USD to SPDIF out to a DSP box, then back in to the DAC/headphone amp perhaps?
I just tried using the coax output of my Topping DX7s while it was switched to the coax input and it worked. In fact the Topping could be in standby and it would still pass signal from USB input to coax output. @Gouwa will the Tone2 work in the same way? Will we be able to use it as a USB to SPDIF converter while simultaneously using it as a SPDIF DAC?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is the digital to anolog volume control? Do we get perfect channel balance? If analog is already in the way how can we get perfect channel balance? Do you plan to sell balanced rca plugs for us to diy our cable? The price for those cables are quite expensive. BTW why there are some grass like distortion in high frequency in single ended but not in balanced? Will it get fixed in future firmware?

Top Bottom