• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone 2

darth_elle

Was the filter issue ever sorted out with firmware updates? Looks like this could be a spectacular addition to my stack as I am looking for balanced out to my A90. I have Roon but don't like the idea of being forced to upscale all content as much of my music listening is off of 44.1/16 FLACS.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Was the filter issue ever sorted out with firmware updates? Looks like this could be a spectacular addition to my stack as I am looking for balanced out to my A90. I have Roon but don't like the idea of being forced to upscale all content as much of my music listening is off of 44.1/16 FLACS.

Yup. You can read about my before/after measurements here: https://forum.khadas.com/t/tone2-pro-firmware-v1-2-mcu-update/11944/42

Not only was the 44.1/16 reconstruction filter issue fixed, the selectable filters now actually work!

andchu

Received mine today, serial starts with 13A.
Using it with meze 99 Noir. Low gain 60-70% loudness, linear fast filter.
The sound is absolutely fantastic. Very clear, spacious, detailed.

Will try a DAC for my Marantz 6005 -> B&W 607. These speakers are quite bright, so I may want to choose another filter.

@dsnyder0cnn Thank you for your filter measurements, they help a lot and helps to understand what it actually is.
The difference in filters is audible, however very hard to tell "what is better".

dsnyder0cnn

Received mine today, serial starts with 13A.
Using it with meze 99 Noir. Low gain 60-70% loudness, linear fast filter.
The sound is absolutely fantastic. Very clear, spacious, detailed.

Will try a DAC for my Marantz 6005 -> B&W 607. These speakers are quite bright, so I may want to choose another filter.

@dsnyder0cnn Thank you for your filter measurements, they help a lot and helps to understand what it actually is.
The difference in filters is audible, however very hard to tell "what is better".

Very cool. Have you been able to verify that you have version 1.2 of the firmware loaded. You'll probably need to connect it to an MS Windows machine and use the ASIO driver to do that.

andchu

Here is a screenshot from Khadas USB driver for windows.
Serial number: 13A100F3
Revision: v1.20

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 11.28.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 11.28.20 AM.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 102

DeepSpace57

Do you know guys any supplier for around 50cm long-RCA balanced to xlr cable? Khadas weirdly provide only 20cm and 1m long cables.

dsnyder0cnn

Do you know guys any supplier for around 50cm long-RCA balanced to xlr cable? Khadas weirdly provide only 20cm and 1m long cables.

I do not, but some folks have made DIY cables using the balanced RCA connectors that Khadas offers on their store. Honestly, if I needed a half-meter cable, I'd just buy the 1m cable and deal with the slack (actually, this is exactly what I did). It's a good quality cable for not a lot of money.

DeepSpace57

I do not, but some folks have made DIY cables using the balanced RCA connectors that Khadas offers on their store. Honestly, if I needed a half-meter cable, I'd just buy the 1m cable and deal with the slack (actually, this is exactly what I did). It's a good quality cable for not a lot of money.

It is a niche product. If a new one is released, the producer should support it in a good way. I think even 2m or more should be available at the Khadas store. I believe 0.5m-long xlr cables is mostly used to stack devices. However, I am glad not to have seen just one option of a 10cm-long one. This would be worse.

dsnyder0cnn

It is a niche product. If a new one is released, the producer should support it in a good way. I think even 2m or more should be available at the Khadas store. I believe 0.5m-long xlr cables is mostly used to stack devices. However, I am glad not to have seen just one option of a 10cm-long one. This would be worse.

True, although in a pinch, you could pair the short one with an existing half-meter XLR cable without a great deal of losses from the added terminations and connections.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@somebodyelse a special firmware is required to unlock S/PDIF out:
Screenshot_20220310-144146_Chrome.jpg

Looking at the file server, it seems like Khadas have yet to publish that firmware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom