• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KH80/KH750 for my computer/office room

radix

Major Contributor
I just upgraded some ancient computer speakers (Logitech 5.1 speaker system) for the KH80/KH750 package. Wow, its great! I still need to get some stands for them to elevate off the desktop.

I have a kind of unusual setup, as I have a Macbook, a PC, and a RoPiee. So I use the Inday DA4X-R to switch between toslink inputs. I used to go toslink to the old computer speakers, now I use spdif (rca to bnc), which works fine.

My only complaint is the Neuman software requires that the audio output and mic input be via the same sound device! I can't do that! The kit came with the Neumann MA.1 mic. I normally use the Shure X2u (XLR-USB) adapter for my Sennheiser.

Do I really need to get an AD/DA box? Hmm, maybe I could take the unbal out from the Shure to the Neumann via a 3.5mm to xlr cable. That would be a lot cheaper than an RME Babyface or Scarlett 2i2, or whatever I'd need.

I did take some before and after REW measurements with the UMIC. I did a little playing around with hand EQ from REW to the iPad app EQ, but my life is too short to keep doing that.

Marc

computer-neumann.001.jpeg

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My only complaint is the Neuman software requires that the audio output and mic input be via the same sound device! I can't do that!
Ask Neumann support, perhaps? Maybe they still have a trick up their sleeve, and if not the problem would at least have been registered as such, increasing the odds of something being done about it eventually.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
facing a similar challenge here, can I ask how you solved this please @radix

I bought a FocusRight Scarlett Solo 3rd gen for $199. There are other options, like a Motu M2. Most any decent USB interface would work, maybe the Zoom or tascam? There's a bunch in the $99 range. Anyway, I needed the usb interface anyway for a Sennheiser mic, so it was not that inconvenient for me. I'd just make sure that whatever you get has the same sort of outputs (balanced/unbalanced/aes/etc) as your regular system so the levels are about the same.

Venture4663

I bought a FocusRight Scarlett Solo 3rd gen for $199. There are other options, like a Motu M2. Most any decent USB interface would work, maybe the Zoom or tascam? There's a bunch in the $99 range. Anyway, I needed the usb interface anyway for a Sennheiser mic, so it was not that inconvenient for me. I'd just make sure that whatever you get has the same sort of outputs (balanced/unbalanced/aes/etc) as your regular system so the levels are about the same.
Thanks for that info. I wonder if I can pick your brain on this comment, "has the same sort of outputs (balanced/unbalanced/aes/etc) as your regular system". This is a new desktop workstation used to enable me to provide feedback to content creators, i.e I dont need a whole host of fancy recording features on my digital interface. I was hoping to use a USB > AES/EBU connection from my MacBook to the KH750 but finding a digital interface that supports AES/EBU and supports the MA1's 48v microphone input is tough, the only device I've found so far is the RME UCX II which is a rather speedy $1600. Are there other options you're aware of I could look into? Calibrating the system on the Scarlett Solo and then swapping over to a AES device like a Topping U90, Douk U2 XU208 or RME ADI2 Pro for playback is suboptimal, right?

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
Thanks for that info. I wonder if I can pick your brain on this comment, "has the same sort of outputs (balanced/unbalanced/aes/etc) as your regular system". This is a new desktop workstation used to enable me to provide feedback to content creators, i.e I dont need a whole host of fancy recording features on my digital interface. I was hoping to use a USB > AES/EBU connection from my MacBook to the KH750 but finding a digital interface that supports AES/EBU and supports the MA1's 48v microphone input is tough, the only device I've found so far is the RME UCX II which is a rather speedy $1600. Are there other options you're aware of I could look into? Calibrating the system on the Scarlett Solo and then swapping over to a AES device like a Topping U90, Douk U2 XU208 or RME ADI2 Pro for playback is suboptimal, right?

Ok, I wouldn't go too far overboard. The main thing from calibration is time and frequency correction. unbal/bal/digital will mostly (only?) be a level difference. If you have something, like an m2 or solo, with balanced out, and then switch to using digital, I think the correction will still be the same, but maybe a minor level difference.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor

I just ran through the alignment again with the latest software (1.5.3.2037). Don't worry about unbalanced vs balanced vs digital. you can use an inexpensive USB interface. At the end of the alignment, it comes to a screen where you can edit the curve. At this point, you can connect your speakers to your regular DAC and play music or tones through your final system. It has an "Output Level" adjustment so you can set the volume to be something comfortable at a reasonable DAC volume control. For example, I used 90 dB SPL with my RME ADI-2 DAC FS set to -22 dBr. That gives me a enough space to crank up the volume when I want, and I know the RME does just fine, noise-wise, at that volume level.

Venture4663

awesome, thank you for following up with me. I have my system connected through the U2 currently and just familiarising myself with the sub and speakers before attempting to calibrate this weekend. Only one of my VESA mounts arrive, the second was out of stock so limited right now outside of playing around.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
awesome, thank you for following up with me. I have my system connected through the U2 currently and just familiarising myself with the sub and speakers before attempting to calibrate this weekend. Only one of my VESA mounts arrive, the second was out of stock so limited right now outside of playing around.
As far as I can tell, the alignment program only work in cm. I had to order a metric tape measure. During the alignment, it will ask you to move the mic a certain number of cm left/right/front/back/up/down and they are all different. So, you could use imperial units but you'll need to convert a few times.

astcal

Forum Donor
As far as I can tell, the alignment program only work in cm. I had to order a metric tape measure. During the alignment, it will ask you to move the mic a certain number of cm left/right/front/back/up/down and they are all different. So, you could use imperial units but you'll need to convert a few times.
you can choose to use inch in the MA 1 software

Top Bottom