• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KH310 passive alternative?

AGL

Hello guys, first post here.
After 12 years working with sound in my small room(13 square meters) I decided I need to improve my speakers setup, I'm currently using B&W 705 with a Hypex NC252 and a SVS Sb1000.

And decided to go with a sealed 3 way design, the obvious choice would be the Neumann KH310, but I would like to know of alternatives being passive that would work in my small room with my Hypex and maybe the same same sub.

Thanks in advance.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The reason the KH310 performs like it does it because of the DSP correcting it. Hard to get a passive speaker with similar performance.

OP
AGL

AGL

What is your budget?
My budget would be between 800-1500...what I can have when selling my B&W 705 plus a bit more...

I don't think the KH310 has DSP, at least the one with analog inputs.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My budget would be between 800-1500...what I can have when selling my B&W 705 plus a bit more...

For 1500 € you can have only one KH310, unless you find a good deal used.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Analoge inputs don't mean there is no DSP.

OP
AGL

AGL

For 1500 € you can have only one KH310, unless you find a good deal used.
I know, what I'm trying to decide is: My hype amp, with my SVS sub and a passive alternative to the KH310 VS the kh310.

In case there is no alternative, I would sell the hypex, the SVS sub and the B&W and buy the KH310. But if I keep the sub and the amp that would be my budget.

Of course, I was saying that this one is the one I can talk about, I have no idea if they are internally the same.

flowjm

Only the KH80 has DSP as far as Neumann monitors go, but you can 'add' it to the KH310s with the KH750 subwoofer.

For what it's worth, if I were you then I would sell everything and get a pair of KH310s. They're great speakers and have more than enough bass IMO.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The KH 80 DSP is the first monitor in their line with internal AD-DA and DSP. The other models do have correction like desk size or flat, but I believe these are done in the analog domain as there is no mention of AD specs in their specs like the KH 80 DSP has.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The KH310 is entirely analog - they are, however, active crossovers.

Anyway OP your options are, well... limited, at that price point. I'd be looking more at active 2-ways in that price range (or slightly higher, if you can sell that amp too).

Reactions: AGL

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@AGL are you using any EQ? If not, try it before buying new speakers. B&W speakers sound bright, but EQ can tame this. Adding sub's is also an option.

OP
AGL

AGL

@AGL are you using any EQ? If not, try it before buying new speakers. B&W speakers sound bright, but EQ can tame this. Adding sub's is also an option.
I'm already using a SVS SB1000 sub, and using my RME ADI 2 Pro DAC as basic eq and crossover(temporary).

The thing with the B&W doesn't work for me in this small room and with this really short distance, so I'm checking for options, mainly closed boxes, three ways that are not too big.

As others have said, KEF R3 is an option...but not sure if I should just wait, sell everything and buy the Neumanns.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm already using a SVS SB1000 sub, and using my RME ADI 2 Pro DAC as basic eq and crossover(temporary).

The thing with the B&W doesn't work for me in this small room and with this really short distance, so I'm checking for options, mainly closed boxes, three ways that are not too big.

As others have said, KEF R3 is an option...but not sure if I should just wait, sell everything and buy the Neumanns.

I'm sorry you are having problems. If a good stand mount like the 705 doesn't work in your room, I have no handle on what would work. I can't see why the 310's or R3's would solve the problem. They have a flatter frequency response out of the box, but EQ gets rid of that advantage. It's your money.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry you are having problems. If a good stand mount like the 705 doesn't work in your room, I have no handle on what would work. I can't see why the 310's or R3's would solve the problem. They have a flatter frequency response out of the box, but EQ gets rid of that advantage. It's your money.

705 has directivity problems though that can't be fixed with EQ. Also, it's very difficult to EQ properly above a certain frequency without a spinorama of your exact left and right speakers. I would expect the R3/KH310 to still sound better than an EQed 705.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
705 has directivity problems though that can't be fixed with EQ. Also, it's very difficult to EQ properly above a certain frequency without a spinorama of your exact left and right speakers. I would expect the R3/KH310 to still sound better than an EQed 705.

I wonder if the small room is a large part of the problem.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Saw this in google image search, and it reminded me of those Neumann/Genelec Monitors + Subwoofer setups.
After finding the model name the "diamond" 360 degree tweeter and 175k price make them ridiculous, but I thought it may help start some kind of online journey to find what you are looking for...
I find pinterest a good place to explore speaker design's and find similar looking models.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also found this, DIY but the "new models currently being developed" remind me of Genelec on top of bass woofer situation.

Top Bottom