• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kernel Streaming, ASIO, WASAPI... and music players (Foobar, JRiver...)

maty

Major Contributor
They should sound the same but not. With this vinyl rip is very easy to detect the differences, hence my comment.

What do I have to gain by saying it? I am not interested in being right or not if I do not find the truth, whatever it may be, regardless of whether it benefits or hurts someone That is why it bothers me not being able to demonstrate with measurements some things that I detect unlike other people and, surely, with equipment much more expensive than my second system.

You would be amazed with the ripping quality. My modded speakers are very resolutive and there was no noise indicating that the source was a vinyl, and original from 1978. Maybe with the headphones, but it is too hot, so I have them stored because I just use them.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post5839810.html

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They should sound the same but not. With this vinyl rip is very easy to detect the differences, hence my comment.

What do I have to gain by saying it? I am not interested in being right or not if I do not find the truth, whatever it may be, regardless of whether it benefits or hurts someone That is why it bothers me not being able to demonstrate with measurements some things that I detect unlike other people and, surely, with equipment much more expensive than my second system.

Would it be possible for you to record each of the outputs (KS, WASAPI, ASIO) and post them here for us to download and check?

My modded speakers are very resolutive and there was no noise indicating that the source was a vinyl, and original from 1978. Maybe with the headphones,

So, you mean that you hear with your speakers supposed differences between KS, WASAPI, ASIO, that nobody else hears even with headphones, but don't hear the vinyl surface noise that everyone would hear with headphones at sufficient volume level?

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
With new fashion, many of them start ripping, and I suppose their rippings are noisy, but I am not interested. Surely those botched are those who have heard the majority and hence the criticisms, understandable. It is as if I judged the good work of a singer based on the most famous, like Madonna, who has always sung very badly live like many others commercial singers/groups, and even more now that they help each other do the damn Autotune (vade retro satana).

These years I have been experimenting with my second system. Sometimes, for a while, the headphones offered better sound and later the speakers. That happened several times until finally the modified speakers that I enjoy have left behind my modified headphones (which also are uncomfortable in my head and give me heat).

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With new fashion, many of them start ripping, and I suppose their rippings are noisy, but I am not interested. Surely those botched are those who have heard the majority and hence the criticisms, understandable. It is as if I judged the good work of a singer based on the most famous, like Madonna, who has always sung very badly live like many others commercial singers/groups, and even more now that they help each other do the damn Autotune (vade retro satana).

These years I have been experimenting with my second system. Sometimes, for a while, the headphones offered better sound and later the speakers. That happened several times until finally the modified speakers that I enjoy have left behind my modified headphones (which also are uncomfortable in my head and give me heat).

I am a member of a small circle of vinyl rippers, and do rip vinyl myself.
I also have the experience of hearing a lot of professionnaly ripped vinyl now sold as FLAC online. Most of them (not all) are declicked, denoised, etc.
Yet I have never heard a track exempt of vinyl surface noise that you couldn't hear, even with (good) speakers, when played loud in a quiet environment. It is of course most evident during the quiet parts of the recordings, especially he beginning and end of songs.

On the contrary, I don't hear a difference between WASAPI, Kernel Streaming and ASIO as long as the soundcard is good enough and the divers clean. When there is a difference, it is not about "better quality", it is about quiet VS lots of glitches, like if something was broken.

maty

Major Contributor
I have uploaded two tracks (24/192 FLAC). Whoever wants them only need to contact me and I will give him/her a link and password. Very fast download, about 4 MB/s.

Nauscopio-maty.png

B1 Sultans of Swing.flac
B2 In The Gallery.flac
foo_dr.txt

RAR of 503.7 MB.

reference libFLAC 1.3.2 20170101

Last edited:

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a DAC that has a built-in 'bit-perfect' test. You play it a test file (sounding like white noise) supplied by the manufacturer and the DAC will confirm that the data arriving at its input is uncorrupted.

JRiver and Foobar pass this test whether the KS, WASAPI or ASIO interfaces are used, so I take any suggestion that the various software APIs "sound different" with a huge pinch of salt.

maty

Major Contributor
JRiver and Foobar pass this test whether the KS, WASAPI or ASIO interfaces are used, so I take any suggestion that the various software APIs "sound different" with a huge pinch of salt.

It is what I had always believed. I can not prove it with measures but I can with the above, so that it is listened to and analyzed. Only some clicks have been removed manually, with iZotope RX, but not today.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Months ago I tried one of the first versions of JRiver MC v25 and it sounded a little worse than the last one of v24. Yesterday I installed v25.0.88, maintaining v24. The sound is clearly better now for USB and WiFi, with same configuration. Why? I do not know.

A moment ago I uninstalled the v24.

maty

Major Contributor
But it is the truth. For me a long time ago I know that the differences I appreciate is a matter of software and its better or worse optimization. As with modern opamps, in the end what differentiates is its correct implementation that many take for granted and it turns out that it is not so.

Same systems and I have noticed the initial deterioration and the important improvement of the last compilation.
Unfortunately, with free players I do not get that sound in Windows :(.

maty

Major Contributor
Let each one believe what he considers pertinent. I do not have anything against or in favor of any software, whether it is free or not, I am just looking for the best sound in my two audio systems, usually from very good 24/96 or 24/192 vinyl rips.

JRiver-Media-Center-v25088-Led-Zeppelin-I-UK-Plum.png

Nango

Major Contributor
Let each one believe what he considers pertinent. I do not have anything against or in favor of any software, whether it is free or not, I am just looking for the best sound in my two audio systems, usually from very good 24/96 or 24/192 vinyl rips.

View attachment 30678

Again, this is head-fi world, not ASR. Here we want to know, not only believe.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No response in a very simple test to overcome: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...verify-the-quality-of-your-audio-system.8138/

Just say, regardless of the quality of the audio, if you notice the difference between the clips of the three DIY amplifiers, nothing more and nothing less.
Oh you've gotten responses. You just don't like them, and are ignoring them.

No level matching. Your simple test is broken before it begins. That one factor means any result of just listening is of no value. Until you understand it and fix it you really are acting like this is a head-fi like place. It is not.

If you refuse to understand why unmatched levels makes listening useless, then I am at a loss as to what to say to you. Do just not believe us that unmatched levels ruin any such test? Do you need it demonstrated to you, that two identical files which sound the same volume will sound of different quality to you if they are suffering from a .5 db level mismatch? This is a really important point you need to grasp and/or experience if you take part in discussions here or get anything out of them. No one can make you do it of course. But you'll continue to run into many here paying little to no attention when you offer opinions of subjective sighted listening or offer tests like the one you've written about so much in recent weeks. Just like here with your contention about varying software playback quality. We aren't impressed with sighted uncontrolled comparisons as meaning anything.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 30678
Do you understand the challenges you are getting to your anti science approach? You show no comprehension or growth across multiple threads, you mainly ignore direct challenges and just double down by reposting your opinion.

maty

Major Contributor
It is an elementary test. It is equivalent to knowing how to differentiate between two motor vehicles, a car and a truck. Do not choose which one you prefer if not if you are able to differentiate between two very different things. And if the truck is a trailer, the difference will be greater and easier the test. An indigenous from a lost population of the Amazon surely would not know how to differentiate but anyone else would find it very trivial.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It is an elementary test. It is equivalent to knowing how to differentiate between two motor vehicles, a car and a truck.

Not even vaguely.

Please stop cluttering up threads with OT nonsense.

maty

Major Contributor
Others insist. For two times I have asked for a new thread and that I would participate in it. No need to discuss more about it here. Now it is the third.

Top Bottom