• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Kernel Streaming, ASIO, WASAPI... and music players (Foobar, JRiver...)

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Others insist. For two times I have asked for a new thread and that I would participate in it. No need to discuss more about it here. Now it is the third.
Start your own thread. There's a button and everything for it. It will make ignoring this stuff easier for everyone, so don't be surprised if no-one else participates.

screen shot- forum.png

maty

Major Contributor
Why can not I say that one software player sounds better than another on my systems? Is it something so serious? Others are always looking to go further.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why can not I say that one software player sounds better than another
Because that's an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims with no evidence are just noise.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why can not I say that one software player sounds better than another on my systems? Is it something so serious? Others are always looking to go further.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sound-different-from-each-other-and-why.8269/

I started a thread for you. Give us a good reply on how you determined software players sound different.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #247
Anybody played with the "hardware buffer" for WASAPI 1.3.3 in Foobar?
Default is 200ms in Push mode and 25ms in Event mode.
Why and can we expect a difference between both modes and hardware buffer values?

majingotan

Forum Donor
Why and can we expect a difference between both modes and hardware buffer values?
I set mine to 5010ms to prevent any dropouts. There is absolutely zero difference whatsoever in sound quality between the 25ms default and 5010ms

Capture.PNG

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #249
I set mine to 5010ms to prevent any dropouts. There is absolutely zero difference whatsoever in sound quality between the 25ms default and 5010ms

View attachment 32456
Thanks but I was talking about the hardware buffer settings in Properties/Advanced/Playback/WASAPI.

About the buffer length you indicate, I set it to 2000ms.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #250
Other question: is there any need to give "real-time priority" or "high priority" to Foobar2000?

majingotan

Forum Donor
It's the first time I've seen that setting BTW. Yeah, I've never played with that part though but the high worker process priority is checked by default on mine

zermak

To prevent any problem in Event mode I use it at 100ms (same as in Push mode which never caused issues with that setting).

majingotan

Forum Donor
Main reason why I hate iTunes on Windows even if it does support WASAPI Exclusive as you can see that it skips the mixer when playing back music

Untitled.png

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Friends don't let friends use Windoz. :p

Top Bottom