• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kendrick Lamar just won a Pulitzer Prize DAMN. ‘captures the complexity of modern African-American

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WoW!! Just WOOWWWWW!
Yet ...
Things would have sounded much better with a more judicious use of compression .. if not recorded in such a way (loudness war) ...Could a more gentle mastering, fix all that and make this piece even more interesting?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yah, alright. Ridiculous

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yah, alright. Ridiculous

Your system is not revealing enough :D

A different take ... for your enjoyment if you like a Classical Orchestra.. I looove this one ..

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I went to a sample site to listen to the album. I found it repetitious and musically narrow.

I went to this 1992 CD in my library, and found it more creative and expressive.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/hal-willner-presents-weird-nightmare-meditations-on/532948588

YMMV, of course.

Admission: There is little rap/hip-hop/heartbeat 'music' that I like. For me, unless there is some melodic form it is not music but a form of chant, poetry or otherwise alternative artistic expression..
hide.gif

PS. I love the Blues. Go figure. ;)

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
A very timely prize, reflecting the state of the United Stated of America.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Admission: There is little rap/hip-hop/heartbeat 'music' that I like. For me, unless there is some melodic form it is not music but a form of chant, poetry or otherwise alternative artistic expression.. View attachment 14846

PS. I love the Blues. Go figure. ;)
MUSIC consists of musicians playing musical instruments.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MUSIC consists of musicians playing musical instruments.
Which bear the question: What do you think is a musical instrument?
My take : The human body might be one, re singing ... and err... rapping :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Which bear the question: What do you think is a musical instrument?
My take : The human body might be one, re singing ... and err... rapping :D
Yes, when accompanied by a melody.
Rap/hip-hop is the victory of rhythm over melody.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You all really think:

(1) melody is an essential component of music

(2) rap doesn't contain melody

??

PS I'm not much into rap so have no horse in this race, I just think your definitions of "music" and your understandings of rap music differ markedly from those of authorities on this topic.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I’m a fan of NWA who used music samples as a instrument . With copyright today you can’t really do it to the same effect but I thought it was brilliant and a sign of our better nature.

I have this album but it’s compressed to hell so I can’t be arsed with it, these mastering practices are doing a disservice to generations of our music.

It’s really sad.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m a fan of NWA who used music samples as a instrument . With copyright today you can’t really do it to the same effect but I thought it was brilliant and a sign of our better nature.

I have this album but it’s compressed to hell so I can’t be arsed with it, these mastering practices are doing a disservice to generations of our music.

It’s really sad.

Classic!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Bad poetry is still bad poetry even when accompanied by beats. IMNSHO.
gran_40_anim_gif.gif

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a big fan of hiphop, mainly indeed because of rithm over melodie. I played the drums when I was young. I think because of it, rithms really can capture me, because I pay much attention to it.
And I am a little basshead, so that helps as well in this genre.

Probably it is all because of the difference between generations. I am only in my early twenties, and grew up with Hiphop.

Also I notice, that in my country, the Netherlands, hiphop is becoming one of the most popular genres, kids listen to.

I must say, because of my music taste I haven't got aware of compression a lot.

Top Bottom