• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF's New Tech is Real

• Thread starter Deleted member 14468
  • Start date

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If they get it working down to 200Hz, i'll be very pleased.

A bit off topic but I'm curious since you've had success modifying KEF crossovers. Are there components in the crossover of the R3/R300 that purposely create the dips in the 1-3/4k range? They seem so perfect that it seems like KEF actually engineers the dips into the R series for whatever reason. I wonder if it would be easy to bypass a component and basically remove the dip without the need for PEQ.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Short answer is NO, there is no such a component. Here is the topology for R series crossovers
skretnica.png

For midrange it is 12dB/o high pass filter and 6dB/o low pass filter electrically (acoustically it is a different matter).

If you pay close attention to schematic, woofer has 6dB/o electricall filter (LC for cone breakup controll, and RCL for 100Hz hump) and since crossover frequency between midrange and woofer is at 450Hz, woofer participates in sound quite a bit - even at 1000-1500Hz. Problem is that woofer starts to beam off axis at that frequencies so resulting power response suffers. Also, if you look at Kef Reference 1 measurement done by Anselm Goertz, same thing is observable there. Shallow slopes and as a result a slight depression in horizontal directivity between 1000-2000Hz.

3-KEF-Reference-1-Frequenzgang.jpg

8-KEF-Reference-1-horizontale-Isobaren.jpg

Cure for that would be DSP controlled active version (since doing it pasive needs a showel full of components with very large values). I did try that but still found the sound lacking some transparency in lower mids. Sold the R300's and never looked back. I would like to get my hands on a pair of dual-concentrics from R series though. They are a marvel of engineering in my oppinion, sound great and are built like a tank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom