• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef to announce new products?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Today, Kef announced their 60th Anniversary giveaway winners:
Massive congratulations to the three lucky winners of KEF’s 60th Anniversary giveaway.
The three winners are Jonathan K., who wins our LS50 Wireless II and KC62 Subwoofer, Lloyd H., who won our Q350 Bookshelf Speakers and Kube 10b Subwoofer, and Chris G. who wins our Mu3 Earphones and a KEF gift bag.

zorak950

I'm really looking forward to seeing an LSX II. I love the sound of the original LSX, but those old Kef apps are just atrocious and they should really have Google Cast and Roon support.

Ataraxia

Passive LSX. Sell like hotcakes.

jonfitch

Passive LSX. Sell like hotcakes.

I'd agree if only because the LSX sucks with its weird connectivity, standby timeouts, and also the worst is the high pitched ringing coming out of the tweeter.

That said, it's about somewhere between a Genelec 8020 and 8030 in size, both of which score much higher in preference score (5.5 and 6.3 vs 4.6). So it's main upside will be looks.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Maybe LS60 as in bigger 3 way design or floorstand active speakers?
A larger version of the LS50 with like 8inch woofer could be endgame for me, not gonna lie.
An 8 inch coaxial driver would not work. The woofer would interfere with the tweeter too a far greater degree than the 5 inch one. Better to set sights on the Ref 3, hopefully updated with the Meta treatment,.
I was going to say an LS60, though logically this would be a 6" woofer. That would have more output capability than the little 5" in the LS50. An 8" cone in some ways could interfere less, as at a given SPL the cone would move less (though if the bass extended lower that might be offset). Whether that cone could shape into a decent waveguide for the tweeter, I don't know. As for "endgame" how about R3 or some of those? Midtweet coax + woofer(s) to me is the optimum implementation of Uni-Q. OR maybe they could make a tweeter/4"/10" triaxial kinda like Cabasse ha ha

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I cannot afford them anyway unless I win a lotto. But if a new r series is on the way, i will be devastated!!
If you are someone who must always have the latest and greatest, I can see how this might be so. However, no matter what Kef introduces to replace the Ref 3. it will still be a fact that the OG Ref 3 will sound every bit as good the day after this occurs as it did the day before, and, from what I can glean, that's pretty damn good. The added benefit for someone who is willing to take something a step below the latest and greatest will be the bargain price, the OG's will then sell for. If they're not already a steal, they literally will become one if their price drops.

Crosstalk

If you are someone who must always have the latest and greatest, I can see how this might be so. However, no matter what Kef introduces to replace the Ref 3. it will still be a fact that the OG Ref 3 will sound every bit as good the day after this occurs as it did the day before, and, from what I can glean, that's pretty damn good. The added benefit for someone who is willing to take something a step below the latest and greatest will be the bargain price, the OG's will then sell for. If they're not already a steal, they literally will become one if their price drops.
M waiting for my r11 to come home.

D

Deleted member 23424

Lots of Q range discounts around at the moment, wouldn't be surprised to see their entry level range refreshed in the not too distant future.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That video does resonate with me. IDC if 8030c scores 0.5 preference score higher with eq + sub. They don't look good. Even if I prefer its sound in a blind test, I live with speakers and look at them all the time. Overall experience should be better with Metas.

Hydrav

Another new short video from KEF.

Excuse my ignorance but isn't every speaker built by hand? I mean at the end of the day somebody has to take the components and put them together, I don't think a machine has been developed to put together speakers?

Lots of Q range discounts around at the moment, wouldn't be surprised to see their entry level range refreshed in the not too distant future.

I wish we had more Spin measurements of their Q range. The Q range looks good and is affordable, but without measurements you're shooting in the dark when purchasing.

Top Bottom