• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef to announce new products?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Coming Soon:
The Future of High-Fidelity

LS60WTeaser-UK-9900000000079e3c.jpg

In just 7 days, we're unveiling our 60th anniversary product.
It's our vision for the future of high-fidelity.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI I deleted a couple of posts. The images in them were not for public showing. Please forgive me and know that it is for better good that we don't republicize them.
I assume that means you have a LS60 that you have run a spin on and are under embargo?

Is it bad to tell readers to BING Image Search for the KEF LS60? If you scroll down you can see both the old school JBL model and the KEF model ;)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Now that we know about the LS60, what is next? :p

stren

Forum Donor
my 0.02c of possible products

LSX II - presumably just add meta - already semi-confirmed from leaks
LS60C - rotate and center the drivers like a sound bar - add surround decode and wireless support to drive LSXII, LS50WII, LS60
Smaller bookshelf sized LS60 derivative - maybe lower crossover and one pair of woofers
Active R3 with meta potentially separate from a full R series update
Q series update
R series meta update
KC52 - smaller sub still using the LS60 woofers
LS50WIII with Dirac

Place your bets :p

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Dirac or Audyssey can probably be already used if Kef modifies their software on active speakers. If I'm not wrong, Dirac and Audyssey modify the DSP's which in turn, send the signal to a DAC and then, an amp. Kef can develop their own in house correction, but that needs resources and time, while with the above solutions, it is easier to adapt.

On the side of adding a full surround system, well, by all means! Actually I think height speakers could benefit the most going active, as the constrains in size and shape can be mitigated by going active as we have seen on the LS60.

I'd like to see subwoofers capable of more SPL at infrasonics (and hence, the whole spectrum), but I may be a very niche user.

Descartes

Major Contributor
my 0.02c of possible products

LSX II - presumably just add meta - already semi-confirmed from leaks
LS60C - rotate and center the drivers like a sound bar - add surround decode and wireless support to drive LSXII, LS50WII, LS60
Smaller bookshelf sized LS60 derivative - maybe lower crossover and one pair of woofers
Active R3 with meta potentially separate from a full R series update
Q series update
R series meta update
KC52 - smaller sub still using the LS60 woofers
LS50WIII with Dirac

Place your bets :p
Wishful thinking I like it! Maybe someone at KEF is taking notes

luxpiotr

Finally KEF LSX II
https://uk.kef.com/blogs/news/lsx-2-wireless-hifi-system
official launch date: 23 June 2022

Summary of features

• Wireless streaming including Airplay 2, Chromecast, Bluetooth, WiFi
• Plays all major music services and supports all major audio formats
• DSD, MQA and PCM up to 24bit/384kHz
• Comprehensive connectivity for your TV, laptop and any other equipment: USB-C, HDMI ARC, Analogue input, subwoofer output
• 11th Generation Uni-Q® driver array for accurate, pristine sound
• Music Integrity Engine for rich, full-bodied sound
• System power: LF 70W class D, HF 30W class D, Max. SPL:102dB
• Intuitive on-boarding with user-centred features
• Personalised listening experience via KEF Connect App
• Design by Michael Young
• Optimised cabinet design for best acoustic performance
• Mounting inserts to secure on accessories including P1 desk pad, S1 floor stand and B1 wall bracket
• Available in 5 finishes: Carbon Black, Mineral White, Cobalt Blue, Lava Red and Soundwave by Terence Conran Edition

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
11th gen Uniq without metamaterial? It sounds like a step backwards.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
11th gen Uniq without metamaterial? It sounds like a step backwards.
The metamaterial tweeter absorber is great as a scientific research result and proof of concept (and also for marketing) but is probably one of the least audible improvements of the latest KEF innovations/evolutions, I wouldn't really miss it thus on the LSX (I own both generations of LS50) if all other driver, electronics and usability aspects are improved (hope there will be soon some measurements and white paper). Possibly they didn't use it also for product series hierarchy reasons.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The metamaterial tweeter absorber is great as a scientific research result and proof of concept (and also for marketing) but is probably one of the least audible improvements of the latest KEF innovations/evolutions, I wouldn't really miss it thus on the LSX (I own both generations of LS50) if all other driver, electronics and usability aspects are improved (hope there will be soon some measurements and white paper). Possibly they didn't use it also for product series hierarchy reasons.
The 12th gen. UniQ has some extra changes beyond the metamaterial. I can see the logic of not including them due to the relatively lower amount of spl an LSX can produce (less power, less resonance), but stil...

I agree the key aspect is the connectivity improvement, and if it´s analogous to the LS50WII, that is an automatic win. These speakers are one of the best options for a compact set for a PC or for small rooms. My veredict is the same as the LS50WII: if Kef implements Dirac (or any other good EQ software like Audyssey) on these sets, they can effectively get a killer product.

And finally, since this is a Kef-specific thread, I´ll abuse your patience for a little personal story. I started with serious audio getting a set of Kef Cresta speakers. Eventually, I moved up to my current, second hand set of IQ´s. A week ago, I got a set of LS50WII for my mother, as she enjoys audio a lot all day long: she watches series on tv, listens to the radio and listens to music while reading. To me, the set is a perfectly rounded, all terrain system. I has not let me down: it sounds incredible and with the KC62 on a small room, it destroys any soundbar and produces a clear, clean and well-articulated sound.

I have been able to finally listen to a set of R series. I have noticed that they are not a revolution, but an evolution of my IQ series: they sound quite similar but doing everything the IQ better: more linear, more SPL, more dynamic range and a very, very similar dispersion pattern. However, with some work on the IQs and positioning, I think I can make my IQs sound if not as good, at least, close enough.

I have been wanting to upgrade the whole rig, but after listening to Kef actives and the more recent passives, I´m not sure at all what should be the next step. Better room eq (and hence, electronics, as the IQ´s run on a Denon AVR 2808 from around 2007) or ditch the whole thing hoping that Kef will come up with an active surround set based on the LSX/LS50WII/LS60? With better electronics, it would still be possible to stay passive but upgrade in the future. Worst case, I can always substitute the PSW2500 for KS92´s, which effectively are four times more power in amp terms...

What are your forecasts, guys?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 12th gen. UniQ has some extra changes beyond the metamaterial.
Yes, those are also most important, measurable and possibly audible, hope soon there will be more details and measurements. :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Seem like the predictions of this thread have been quite accurate so far! So, guys, what´s next? :p

Vacceo

Major Contributor
KEF has announced, in social media, that something new is coming.

The pic with the announcement shows an LS50, but no further information has been provided. I guess time will tell.

Reactions: Gil

Descartes

Major Contributor
Does anyone know when KEF is going to update the Q series with the META technology, and their outdoor speakers to use their Uni-Q drivers?

Top Bottom