• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference and Blade Meta announced, but where is the R Meta?????

steve59

Major Contributor
they don't have to pay for them? As a marketing tool it would surely pay for itself.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is Abbey Road using B&W rather than KEF Blades meta?
B&W was able to pay Abbey Road more than KEF offered? Kinda kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I believe Abbey Road has a storage room full of monitors and swap out the near fields per engineer request. I also believe they have Quested or ATC soffit mounted monitors in at least one of their control rooms.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You will have to ask them but there are many possible reasons, some of them quite crass. I don't know.

OTOH, I know a recording/mastering engineer who I respect and whose work I greatly admire and he uses older, tweaked B&Ws in his studio because he knows what he wants to get from the recording based on long familiarity the system. Replacing such speakers would be analogous to the adaptation to a prosthestic limb after an amputation.

steve59

Major Contributor
Trying to minimize the circle of confusion? Those old British speakers definitely had their own sound.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I honestly doubt (can't prove) they're using them as they are, with no EQ. I used to have the S1 Matrix which also featured in some studios. Sold them, never looked back and (now comes heresy) kept my LS50 (now upgraded to Meta).

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is everyone assuming that pros always do rational things ? They are subject to similar forces that shape our audiophile decision . And older B&W had a more neutral fr response, treat the room and use some eq and it sure works , they migh have continued this tradion out of habit and familiarity ?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I honestly doubt (can't prove) they're using them as they are, with no EQ. I used to have the S1 Matrix which also featured in some studios. Sold them, never looked back and (now comes heresy) kept my LS50 (now upgraded to Meta).
Heresy? They are one of the easiest speakers to adjust and integrate in a room. Between the compact size and the very predictable behavior, it is very easy to make them sound great.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Heresy? They are one of the easiest speakers to adjust and integrate in a room. Between the compact size and the very predictable behavior, it is very easy to make them sound great.
I wasn't that serious. I was trying to say that many would see it as a step back to go from double woofer, 3way, floor stander, sealed box, smooth roll-off etc. speaker to a mini monitor. For me, LS50 are considerably more fun to listen to. I will say cello sounded better on B&W Matrix though.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Why is everyone assuming that pros always do rational things ? They are subject to similar forces that shape our audiophile decision . And older B&W had a more neutral fr response, treat the room and use some eq and it sure works , they migh have continued this tradion out of habit and familiarity ?
And there's also some marketing there. Brian May often says PMCs are his favorite, but you can hear a lot about how they color sound and are not true transmission line.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I have the actives combined with a KC62 in a small room. I miss nothing from a 3 way.
I'm heading your way (but boy is it taking time with my income) only with passive Metas. That's precisely why I'm interested in this thread:

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wasn't that serious. I was trying to say that many would see it as a step back to go from double woofer, 3way, floor stander, sealed box, smooth roll-off etc. speaker to a mini monitor. For me, LS50 are considerably more fun to listen to. I will say cello sounded better on B&W Matrix though.
One or two cellos? ;)

EdW

There is this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KEF/comments/10528vz
It's all hearsay after all, but sounds like something is happening.
You could be right here. In the UK one of the popular mid/upper tier dealers is currently advertising the R3 reduced from £1499 to £899

at this price something of a bargain but such a significant reduction that it probably more than a routine promo

emybaneesim

Maybe should have posted here rather than new thread but heard some news on this today:

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes it’s coming this year. I was advised this when I auditioned LS60 3 weeks ago.

Top Bottom