• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference and Blade Meta announced, but where is the R Meta?????

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I recall correctly, when the first Blade came along they were still getting to grips with metal mid-range cones and how to drive them pistonically without break-up. I suspect the original Blade approach was something of a "brute force" effort, and I could believe that it's not really better than what they did in the following decade with the neck control in other speakers.

Yep, I can imagine a bit more power compression. But how many people would that really affect? Who has rooms their Blade struggles to fill?

I'm not going into that because i simply don't know. I expressed my doubts and, unlike some :) , i'm not certain about anything until i see comparative measurements :)

cd45123

Great to see they’ve added Meta to the higher end. These are very impressive. I am still hoping Q4 will see the announcement of an LS60 speaker that’s made for the rest of us.

cd45123

If you're expecting a bigger coax that's not going to happen unfortunately.
I’d be happy just with an announcement of some new passive under $3k this fall. I’m thinking though that it’s the LSX II…

KMO

If you're expecting a bigger coax that's not going to happen unfortunately.
On another thread I see people circulating (baseless?) rumours of some sort of LS50+KC62 combo floorstander.

That's potentially plausible, extending their active offering range beyond the teeny LSX (II) and bookshelf LS50, leveraging the development already done on both LS50 Wireless II and KC62.

Crosstalk

Great to see they’ve added Meta to the higher end. These are very impressive. I am still hoping Q4 will see the announcement of an LS60 speaker that’s made for the rest of us.
Kef never made ls40, ls30 and so on. So may be ls100 is what I m waiting for

Crosstalk

On another thread I see people circulating (baseless?) rumours of some sort of LS50+KC62 combo floorstander.

That's potentially plausible, extending their active offering range beyond the teeny LSX (II) and bookshelf LS50, leveraging the development already done on both LS50 Wireless II and KC62.
That would be a blade mini :) two woofers to the side and coax in front

cd45123

Kef never made ls40, ls30 and so on. So may be ls100 is what I m waiting for
Lol, fair enough. Times change, though. Also, I’m going with Jack and the company saying this is going to be a huge year. Never understood how Dynaudio went with Special 25 and later Special 40

Niko Malt

Forum Donor

It would be great to see an active version of the LS50M with the C62 combined:cool:
Could be a real competitor to the coaxial Genelecs (except for the 8361 offcourse).

I own a set of 8351A and the passive version of the LS50M, they have more similarities in sound than differences.

OP
M

MarkWinston

It would be great to see an active version of the LS50M with the C62 combined:cool:
Could be a real competitor to the coaxial Genelecs (except for the 8361 offcourse).

I own a set of 8351A and the passive version of the LS50M, they have more similarities in sound than differences.

How would you describe the sound differences between the LS50M and the 8351A?

jae

Major Contributor
I wouldn't expect any "official" announcements until near or at release time. No company is going to cannibalize their own sales and/or screw over vendors with the promise of an imminent new flashy product, these days many of which are subject to all sorts of delays, supply chain, and logistics issues. You'll know something is coming when many vendors suddenly have great sales simultaneously and for an extended period, especially at odd times or with no upcoming holidays.

Niko Malt

Forum Donor
How would you describe the sound differences between the LS50M and the 8351A?
Well the 8351a has offcourse a deeper lowend but the projected image is prety much the same, very stable and deep.
Without GLM the 8351a are more bright but this is easily changed if you use the GLM software.

Crosstalk

I wouldn't expect any "official" announcements until near or at release time. No company is going to cannibalize their own sales and/or screw over vendors with the promise of an imminent new flashy product, these days many of which are subject to all sorts of delays, supply chain, and logistics issues. You'll know something is coming when many vendors suddenly have great sales simultaneously and for an extended period, especially at odd times or with no upcoming holidays.
R series was already on discount during Christmas season. Atleast in my country you can still ask the dealer for a discount on the r series.

Every r series can be had for at least 30 percent off than online prices at brick and mortar stores in Germany. Also if closely watching every week atleast one of the shop will have one pair on disocunt. Recently I saw r11 for 3200€. Current lowest price on r3 is 650 € a piece!

KMO

But discounts on the R series seem to be pretty regular and seasonal, along with good individual deals. I'm not convinced there's been a deviation from historical price behaviour.

Whereas some of the recent Reference behaviour was clearly unusual - eg selling cheap L+R "pairs" of Reference 4 centres...

Edit: Although I note that's the reason for dropping the "c" - they're outright calling them "LCR" speakers now.

Reference 4 Meta
Three-way LCR Loudspeaker

The larger of the two LCR models, Reference 4 Meta is an ideal match for Reference 5 Meta or Reference 3 Meta in a high-end home theatre system. They can even be used as stereo pairs when built into custom entertainment furniture.

And although they don't say it, the Reference 2 Meta is an instantiation of the prototypical "sealed box with 80Hz F3" main speaker that THX conceived for bass management:

Reference 2 Meta
Three-way LCR Loudspeaker

Compact, yet extremely capable, especially within dual-purpose spaces such as living rooms. Perfectly at home as a centre/multichannel system speaker, or as left/right stereo pairs.

So why not buy five or seven? Maybe that's the next upgrade after my current 7 x LS50 Meta...

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
- smaller voice coil diameter in UniQ meta midrange renders lower power rating and possibly (comparison measurements needed) higher distortion and power compression,
Possibly but, the HP for the midrange is at 450Hz for the Meta Blade 2, while for the original Blade 2, it is 320Hz. That can be a compensation in terms of power rating and compression.

bo_knows

I'm just not sure it's for the better....
OG KEF Blade has a 3inch voice coil for midrange driver, does this mean that now the REF series has the same size and magnet structure? If so, I would think that would take away from Blade being special and worth an extra $$$.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
There is no necessity for the References series to handle the Blades power, it's a waste of resources since the blades are made to play louder.

Top Bottom