• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 5

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of KEF Reference 5 speakers at a substantial discount.

I haven't listened to them yet, but before I drive to the dealer, I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions from this very knowledgeable community.

About a year ago I auditioned the R7 and to me it sounded fairly competent but maybe a bit lifeless and definitely bass shy.

PS: the old version, not the new Meta, hence the discount!

tuga

Major Contributor
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of KEF Reference 5 speakers at a substantial discount.

I haven't listened to them yet, but before I drive to the dealer, I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions from this very knowledgeable community.

About a year ago I auditioned the R7 and to me it sounded fairly competent but maybe a bit lifeless and definitely bass shy.

PS: the old version, not the new Meta, hence the discount!
Maybe the narrowing directivity is not for?

OP
symphara

symphara

tuga

Major Contributor
I'm sorry, I literally don't know what you mean.
I think that the narrowing directivity could be the reason why you found it "a bit lifeless".

When you say "bass shy" you're comparing it to other speakers you auditioned in the same space with the samem amplification?

What is your current system?

OP
symphara

symphara

I think that the narrowing directivity could be the reason why you found it "a bit lifeless".

When you say "bass shy" you're comparing it to other speakers you auditioned in the same space with the samem amplification?

What is your current system?
Could be, I think they were toed in, with me in the MLP but I don't remember exactly.

By "bass shy" I mean they couldn't reproduce low bass very well. One of my test tracks is the 1st track ("The Expert") from Touch by Yello and it was obvious that the R7 cannot properly deal with that kind of - I assume - electronically generated bass. Unfortunately I listen to all sorts of modern classical and electronic stuff, so I'd rather have it.

I'm more looking for tips on the Reference 5. What would you say are its weakest points?

ehabheikal

Get ls50 meta with a sub if you can get the meta and the sub with the same money, that way you will not be bass shy. BTW that is what i have so i am preaching what I practice. Have it with yamaha hs8s studio sub and purifi amp.
The sound is amazing but, in volume it will be a bit less than a tower.

OP
symphara

symphara

Get ls50 meta with a sub if you can get the meta and the sub with the same money, that way you will not be bass shy. BTW that is what i have so i am preaching what I practice. Have it with yamaha hs8s studio sub and purifi amp.
The sound is amazing but, in volume it will be a bit less than a tower.
Not for me, but thank you. I'm just going to look at these KEFs.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Weak points, the room you plan on using it in and the amp chosen for driving it.

Itll handle low bass if it's sited and powered suitably.

OP
symphara

symphara

Weak points, the room you plan on using it in and the amp chosen for driving it.

Itll handle low bass if it's sited and powered suitably.
Weak points to look for at the dealer, not in my room :) By that time it will be too late...

sq225917

Major Contributor
If they're at a substantial discount then they're already used and boxes open, so a home demo should be easy? Or are they far away?

OP
symphara

symphara

A home demo per se is unlikely, but the dealer might agree to take them back briefly after the purchase, if I don't like them. We'll see what he says. But I generally dislike sending back stuff.

Yes they are discounted for being open box and the previous version. In fairness, at full price you start having alternatives from Magico, Perlisten etc. but I don't want to spend 20k+ on speakers right now.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A home demo per se is unlikely, but the dealer might agree to take them back briefly after the purchase, if I don't like them. We'll see what he says. But I generally dislike sending back stuff.

Yes they are discounted for being open box and the previous version. In fairness, at full price you start having alternatives from Magico, Perlisten etc. but I don't want to spend 20k+ on speakers right now.
Personally I like the Ref5 a lot. Plenty of bass IMHO and wonderful precise soundstage (yes I know - subjective). I ended up with the Ref3 as the bigger Ref5 were just too obstructive optically and added two KF92. If the deal is fair - go for it. Make sure to ask for the factory provided individual frequency response certificate which comes with each Ref speaker. Have fun.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I'm a former owner of the Kef Ref 203 I suspect these will do exactly what you expect of them- play good music.

OP
symphara

symphara

Personally I like the Ref5 a lot. Plenty of bass IMHO and wonderful precise soundstage (yes I know - subjective). I ended up with the Ref3 as the bigger Ref5 were just too obstructive optically and added two KF92. If the deal is fair - go for it. Make sure to ask for the factory provided individual frequency response certificate which comes with each Ref speaker. Have fun.
The speakers I’m looking to replace are size-wise in between Ref 3 and 5, so I’m not worried about this.

My major concerns are rolling off the highs too much, which the Stereophile measurements point to, which would give them a “dark” sound particularly off axis. This for me is a narrow balancing act, it‘s got to be just right. I hope it will be more Revel F208 and less Amphion Argon.

The second is the use of 6.5” drivers on the KEF. I personally have never heard the bass I like from 6.5”, only from 8” or larger. I’m very curious to see if they manage to be the exception. I don’t need 20Hz but a good 25 would be nice to have.

On the other hand I love low distortion and a flat mid-range.

I’m very curious to hear them.

OP
symphara

symphara

Then, why not the ref1 meta plus dual subs?
Many reasons. My little girl would for sure take down a bookshelf speaker sitting pretty on a stand. That's enough to kill any such ideas ;)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Many reasons. My little girl would for sure take down a bookshelf speaker sitting pretty on a stand. That's enough to kill any such ideas ;)
Understable :)

I guess the best thing about the ref metas is they have a wider dispersion, they changed the crossover. They are different

My friend have the ref3 in a room like 5 x 5 meters and he got a nice 30hz bass and then start to roll off at 25hz~, he only have the subwoofer for movies.. it's a rel S510, but to me the speaker sound good enough alone

If you don't like the ref3 tunning you can also change that using EQ, the speaker is very easy to change how it's sound because of their nice directivity.

Top Bottom