• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 5 VS Blade 2 vs Muon

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Muon has larger drivers than the Blade 1 and is 10 times the price of the the Blade 1, not that it matters. It will be nice to see comparisons in graphs, between the Blade 1 and 2, and even the Muon, not just by driver sizes. Its nice to have big drivers though.

For me the Muon looks odd and not very engineering driven, I might be later convinced otherwise because i didn't dig that deep into them.

But the Blade looks like someone took a list of all the problems that exist with commercial speakers (LF extension, cabinet resonances, directivity mismatches with non-coaxial designs, appearance) and fixed all of them in one swoop.

Benedium

Forum Donor
Just from my beginner perspective, after hearing R series, Reference and Blade, I think Reference is almost like the Blade, and the R series is not even close. I wonder if the Reference used in conjunction with subwoofers might sound like the Blade?

OP
M

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just from my beginner perspective, after hearing R series, Reference and Blade, I think Reference is almost like the Blade, and the R series is not even close. I wonder if the Reference used in conjunction with subwoofers might sound like the Blade?
This is very true, Ive heard the R11 and the Reference 5 before. Very far apart. I have not heard the Blades or the Muon but will sell my left marble to listen to them all lined up next to each other.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The currently best KEF loudspeaker is imho the Blade 2 as it has some updates compared to the older and bigger Blade 1 (had also the luck to listen to it at the KEF factory in UK, one of my all time best audio experiences), the Muon is more a design and highend price "flagship" to have something to offer also in that market niche. The current Reference series introduced the shadow flare to reduce the sound diffraction problem of battle edges but in the end although it is very good, it won't be on the same highest level as on a curved baffle like the Blade or LS50.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have heard the Blade 2 and the Muon you are a very lucky guy. How did the Muon sound compared to the Blade 2? Happen to come across any graphs for both?
I have heard both the Blade and the Muon but not in the same room at the same time with the same music.
I haven't heard the Blade 2. Sorry I misread the title.
The Muon impressed mainly for the construction and price, I didn't think it stood out sound wise compared to my experience of the Blade.

Ata

Forum Donor

Wish Amir could get a Reference or Blade to measure!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish Amir could get a Reference or Blade to measure!
I can see it now all 62.5" cabinet with a weight of 126 lbs on that little Klippel pedestal. I suppose they could be tested horizontally as I believe the Klippel has that feature.

OP
M

MarkWinston

I have heard both the Blade and the Muon but not in the same room at the same time with the same music.
I haven't heard the Blade 2. Sorry I misread the title.
The Muon impressed mainly for the construction and price, I didn't think it stood out sound wise compared to my experience of the Blade.

Lucky man. Very lucky. I struggled to even listen to the Reference 5.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Muon, Blade and Blade 2. Guess KEF screwed up the biggest one huh...
P1020153-kef-family.jpg

Ata

Forum Donor
I can see it now all 62.5" cabinet with a weight of 126 lbs on that little Klippel pedestal. I suppose they could be tested horizontally as I believe the Klippel has that feature.

Not sure which of the speakers you are referring to, the Blade Two I was referring to, assuming it outclasses the Reference 5, is "only" 77.8lbs.
The Revel Salon 2 Amir has is much heavier at 146lb. So, not out of reach!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure which of the speakers you are referring to, the Blade Two I was referring to, assuming it outclasses the Reference 5, is "only" 77.8lbs.
The Revel Salon 2 Amir has is much heavier at 146lb. So, not out of reach!
I was thinking of the Blade 1. OOPs. :D

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
20190518_143754.jpg

The Blades are big. In this session we compared the Kii BXT (to the right) vs Blade.
The Blades are smoother and friendlier to the ears, but the BXT is stunning from 250 hz and down, completely different beast when it comes to punch and authority in the bass.

I wouldn't call the Blade perfect because it has directivity issues below 1 kHz, but one of my favorite passive speakers for sure.

OP
M

MarkWinston

View attachment 153869

The Blades are big. In this session we compared the Kii BXT (to the right) vs Blade.
The Blades are smoother and friendlier to the ears, but the BXT is stunning from 250 hz and down, completely different beast when it comes to punch and authority in the bass.

I wouldn't call the Blade perfect because it has directivity issues below 1 kHz, but one of my favorite passive speakers for sure.
What were you driving those Blades with?

Jukebox

Well if you use 2 good subs placed in strategical positions to benefit from the room acoustics and place the speakers in the best position for imaging/soundstage, you can get pretty close, the same or better.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Not that I can afford any one of them but does anyone know the difference in performance between these monsters? Any reliable graphs from anywhere comparing all of them? Really interested in what KEF can really do with their real high end stuff.
Out of curiosity, why are you really interested in what Kef can do with their real high end stuff?

Top Bottom