• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 5 VS Blade 2 vs Muon

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not that I can afford any one of them but does anyone know the difference in performance between these monsters? Any reliable graphs from anywhere comparing all of them? Really interested in what KEF can really do with their real high end stuff.

Last edited:

test1223

Hello,

the blade is more similar to the R11 due to the four bass chassis.

Less diffraction.
More of a point source.
Box with less resonances.
The R11 will have some advantages in bass room integration due to the larger vertical distribution of the bass chassis.

Best
Thomas

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Less diffraction.
More of a point source.
The R11 will have some advantages in bass room integration due to the larger vertical distribution of the bass chassis.

Best
Thomas

I agree, there is nothing ‘monstrous’ about the R5 at all.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Reference series is not R series.
They should change series names.
Some might get confused but yeah, they are a level higher and price wise they are far apart.
Hello,

Less diffraction.
More of a point source.

Best
Thomas
The R11 isnt in the same league as the Reference 5 despite its size and layout I think?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reference series is not R series.
They should change series names.

oops!

so four 6.5 inch drivers vs four 9 inch drivers in an opposing 'force canceling' configuration.

the Blade is one hell of a monster, the Reference 5 is an exellent speaker at best, it can't be called End game or a monster in context with the Blade imo.

OP
M

MarkWinston

The Reference 5 is KEF's flagship 'box' speaker so it deserves the term monstrous and can very well be end game speakers for many. Easily. And then there is the Muon but thats a totally different thing altogether.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Reference 5 is KEF's flagship 'box' speaker so it deserves the term monstrous and can very well be end game speakers for many. Easily

Like I said, the Blade is a FLAWLESS design. No cabinet resonances, no baffle diffraction, perfect directivity, all while maintaining point source sound. With all of that it's a standing work of art.

so in the context of the blade, The Reference 5 is not really a 'monster' or 'end game'. Other than the Uni-Q driver there is nothing unique or innovative about it.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Like I said, the Blade is a FLAWLESS design. No cabinet resonances, no baffle diffraction, perfect directivity, all while maintaining point source sound. With all of that it's a standing work of art.

so in the context of the blade, The Reference 5 is not really a 'monster' or 'end game'. Other than the Uni-Q driver there is nothing unique or innovative about it.
I understand that your standards are high but if you call the Blade flawless, what is the Muon then? Why cant the Reference be called a monster when even its height is taller than you? But thats not the point here, graphs would show the shortcomings of BOTH speakers. Nothing is perfect or flawless.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The big difference is in the bass.
The Blade has 4 9" units packed more closely and centred on the same acoustic centre as the coaxial.
The Reference 5 has 4 6.5" units on the front.
I have heard the Blade often and it is excellent.
I don't like the styling though so would never buy one.
I haven't heard a Reference 5 but I like the look of it more, though they reduced the number of available finishes a while ago dropping some of the ones I liked best.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The blade with it's twin coupled bass drivers arrangement is a nice evolution from the 1980s Reference Series. Can really see the succession of KEF's technology there.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand that your standards are high but if you call the Blade flawless, what is the Muon then? Why isnt cant it be called a monster when even its height is taller than you? But thats not the point here, graphs would show the shortcomings of BOTH speakers. Nothing is perfect or flawless.
I was disappointed by the Muon, more of a show piece looking great than any step forward as far as audio performance is concerned. It isn't better than the Blade IME.

OP
M

MarkWinston

I was disappointed by the Muon, more of a show piece looking great than any step forward as far as audio performance is concerned. It isn't better than the Blade IME.
If you have heard the Blade 2 and the Muon you are a very lucky guy. How did the Muon sound compared to the Blade 2? Happen to come across any graphs for both?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait a second, this is about the blade 2 so i have to retract some statements (four 6.5 inch vs 9 inch and 35KG vs 65KG)

Yeah the blade 2 is definitely overpriced, it's not even full-range and would not even come close to the maximum output of the blade 1.

But for me the Blade 1 is a BEAST.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Here is a good interview with @jackocleebrown by @John Atkinson where he discussies the Reference 5. If I recall correctly they also touch on the Blade.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Wait a second, this is about the blade 2 so i have to retract some statements (four 6.5 inch vs 9 inch and 35KG vs 65KG)

Yeah the blade 2 is definitely overpriced, it's not even full-range and would not even come close to the maximum output of the blade 1.

But for me the Blade 1 is a BEAST.
The Muon has larger drivers than the Blade 1 and is 10 times the price of the the Blade 1, not that it matters. It will be nice to see comparisons in graphs, between the Blade 1 and 2, and even the Muon, not just by driver sizes. Its nice to have big drivers though.

Top Bottom