• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R7 End game for most? Or not

Are the KEF r7 good enough to be considered end game speakers for most?

• What are you waiting for? Pick them up today!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • I would wait/prefer for powered w/dsp

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • They're ok, but you can do better, Revel, Focal etc...

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Don't pick them up, I'll take them!

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Hi all,

A lot of the forum knows KEF is closing out the Rseries for the new metas. I was lucky enough to purchase open box R7 with supposedly minor cosmetic damage for $1000 for the pair. I have until Sunday to pick them up. While I don't actually need another pair of speakers "I'm sure a lot of us can say that" A chance at what I consider possibly end game speakers for about 90% of us is to good to pass up. Thanks in advance for your responses

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all,

A lot of the forum knows KEF is closing out the Rseries for the new metas. I was lucky enough to purchase open box R7 with supposedly minor cosmetic damage for $1000 for the pair. I have until Sunday to pick them up. While I don't actually need another pair of speakers "I'm sure a lot of us can say that" A chance at what I consider possibly end game speakers for about 90% of us is to good to pass up. Thanks in advance for your responses
If I found R7s at that price, I wouldn't let them get away, unless the damage is too obvious.
For me too they would be endgame speakers, maybe you can find better, but I think the price/quality curve offers its best angle around the r7s, to get a little better you have to spend a lot more, and they are still quite cheap

bodhi

Forum Donor
I don't need any more speakers but I would still snap buy those at that price.

The thing is that for end game you still need subs if you don't get some huge beasts that really are full range. And still you kind of could use subs... And if you use subs then R7 almost does not have limits in any normal conditions.

Reactions: GDK

alex-z

The cabinets could be totally destroyed and I would still buy a pair of R7 for $1000. KEF coaxial drivers are arguably the best available, and their woofers + crossovers are high quality.

If they are cosmetically rough, you can always vinyl wrap them or something. As long as the damage is only to the cabinets, that is a heck of a deal. Honestly, once you get to speakers at this level, your room and EQ are going to play a bigger factor in whether the R7 is end game. I just got the R7s on mega sale too even though I was pretty happy with the R3s but I have not a single regret in doing so. Might be just because they are shiny and new (and haven't measured them with REW yet) but they sound wonderful.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two pair of LS 50s, one Meta, the other OG, and I bought both pairs open box b/c they supposedly had "cosmetic damage." I didn't see any damage on any of the speakers. Retail was $1500/pr for each set, I paid $1200/pr. Same deal with both of my SVS SB 2000s. Each one retailed for $700, and I paid only $500 for each b/c of "cosmetic damage" when they wasn't any. If there is a moral to this story, it's hop on those warehouse sales of open box items with "minor cosmetic damage." Most times, I think, they're just returned items that can't be resold as new, even though they really are new. I know I saved myself $1000 on these deals, perhaps someone else can do that as well.

wgb113

I mean they’re not as good as my R11s in NM at twice the price but…if you‘ve already made the deal you should be very happy. KEFs R series are a well designed, good sounding line of speakers.

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Thanks for the opinions guys. I picked them up today, they had them unwrapped so I could inspect. The port bung, hard floor discs and manual were missing. After my approval, they removed stickers, shined them up and bubble/shrink wrapped. Being finger magnet piano black, I give them a solid 9/10. Very stress free transaction!

Like other posters stated, I believe they rate conservatively to avoid hassles when customers come for pick up. I can surely recommend looking into open box in the future.
I am extremely pleased with myself! Lolololo;)

hifi_nj

@stumper3819 Slightly hijacking your thread as I am in a very similar situation... Can possibly pick up some ex-demo R7's for 1350 euros... how are you getting on with them?

Top Bottom